Kai Sushi - Diamond

lexdisic

We are shortly taking our first Tokyo - Sydney cruise and are Sushi newbies and looking forward to trying Japanese cuisine.

I am not a fan of seafood such as squid, octopus, crustaceans etc but love fish. DW is not a great lover of rice but enjoys all seafood varieties.

Having looked at the menu, I am lost as to how and what to order for a meal although I see plenty of options I know I would like and those I wish to avoid.

How helpful can we expect the staff to be with our choices ?

Adrian

Ask the waiter for exactly what you want! Tip him-her accordingly I would suggest. We cruised on Diamond in 2010 and they were very good about getting you exactly what you wanted. We told our waiter we had come from India and loved Indian food. He brought us home made Curry dishes.

Edited by WupperAV

Ask the waiter for exactly what you want! Tip him-her accordingly I would suggest. We cruised on Diamond in 2010 and they were very good about getting you exactly what you wanted. We told our waiter we had come from India and loved Indian food. He brought us home made Curry dishes.

This is the point, I don't know exactly what I want or how to put a Japanese meal together.

If I tell the waiter I'm from the UK, I hope he doesn't bring us fish & chips !! - I just need to be educated in Japanese food.

Adrian

I doubt at the Kai Sushi venue they would prepare or bring anything not on the menu these unless it is some variety of sushi.

We loved Kai Sushi and went often last year on our B2B2B Japan cruises. That said, we enjoy all kinds of sushi and sashimi.

I'd say, try it out! You can order a California Roll, Avocado Roll, Tuna, Salmon Sashimi, etc. You'll also get Miso Soup to start and Green Tea ice cream for dessert.

At first we did not how much to order so we started with a few items, then if we were still hungry, we ordered more.

Cheers.

Thanks for the great examples! Sounds wonderful!

Fantastic:)

Also, a sample Kai Sushi menu can be found by doing a Google search. The sample menu gives the English meanings, so you can get a good feel for what is available.

I'm ready!

Hi All

I see a menu on the Princess site showing the soup to start and ice cream to finish. Is it a choice of the remaining items - no sides of vegetables etc., will there be dips automatically provided ? . Sorry for the lame questions, but other than some snack sushi from the supermarket, I have never had any let alone trying to put a meal together. Really looking forward to it though - 3 weeks to go - smashing !!

Adrian

I was on Diamond last year, round Japan. I'm not sure how many stops you will have in Japan on your cruise, but the sushi ashore is much better than the Kai Sushi offerings. But for sushi novices it may be reassuring to try the sushi on board first. Enjoy your cruise, we had a truly fantastic time on the Diamond.

We are shortly taking our first Tokyo - Sydney cruise and are Sushi newbies and looking forward to trying Japanese cuisine.

I am not a fan of seafood such as squid, octopus, crustaceans etc but love fish. DW is not a great lover of rice but enjoys all seafood varieties.

Having looked at the menu, I am lost as to how and what to order for a meal although I see plenty of options I know I would like and those I wish to avoid.

How helpful can we expect the staff to be with our choices ?

Adrian

You are going to want to try and find nigiri dishes. These are small amounts of rice with a small piece of fish placed on top. You usually will find salmon or some kind of white fish. The menu will state what the fish type is so you can avoid anything with eel or other things you may not enjoy. These are not your "typical" rolls but bite size portions. Try the shrimp (it will be cooked) and the yellowtail and salmon. I would also try the eel. If you have never tried it before I can see why you would hesitate but it has a very nice mild flavor and is one of my favorites.

Your wife will want to look for sashimi dishes. There is not rice and will just be a piece of fish. Many would ask why you would want this type of sushi, until you try it and realize why it is so good. Yellow tail and salmon would be my recommendations for first timers here.

For portion sizes it really depends on the person. You really need to see how much you can typically eat. I can down 3 rolls while a buddy of mine is done after 1. The best part about sushi restaurants is they almost expect you to order in segments so ordering 2-3 times is not uncommon. Order a small amount to start, see what you like and feel free to order more of what you enjoy or start with something new.

Hi All

Thanks for the tips. We will be in Tokyo for 4 days before we board and then just one more stop in Osaka. DW says the only reason I cruise is for the food and I cant really disagree. We have visited Asia many times and love the food with Thai & Indian being our favourites, although all the other countries we have visited have given us fond food memories - I'm sure Japan will be no different in that respect.

Adrian

Hi All

Thanks for the tips. We will be in Tokyo for 4 days before we board and then just one more stop in Osaka. DW says the only reason I cruise is for the food and I cant really disagree. We have visited Asia many times and love the food with Thai & Indian being our favourites, although all the other countries we have visited have given us fond food memories - I'm sure Japan will be no different in that respect.

Adrian

Our son and daughter in law live in Osaka and we have been there for 6 weeks. Truly, Osaka is called "The Kitchen of Japan" The food is amazing. If a restaurant is not good it fails quickly. You might want to look up on trip advisor what are the top restaurants walking distance from the port. It is a pretty area once you get off the ship. Try some real Ramen....it will change your life!