NCL Dawn on the HAL Forum......

sail7seas

If NCL is first to Cuba, I will sail on NCL. :) If HAL is first, I will sail them to Cuba. I doubt either will be the first (forgetting about Carnival's work cruises). But I definitely would sail NCL again given the right circumstances which, of course, are different now since the passing of my DH.

Here's a link to one and it's not NCL or HAL or Carnival. It doesn't state the port from Florida and I didn't bother to call, but my guess is it may be in West Palm Beach - there is a cruise ship there that makes runs to the Bahamas.

http://www.pearlseascruises.com/cruises/cuba-cultural-voyage/

Here's a link to one and it's not NCL or HAL or Carnival. It doesn't state the port from Florida and I didn't bother to call, but my guess is it may be in West Palm Beach - there is a cruise ship there that makes runs to the Bahamas.

http://www.pearlseascruises.com/cruises/cuba-cultural-voyage/

Interesting, SteelMagnolia. Thanks for providing the link.

Hope to see you aboard one ship or another some day. :)

I understand that people in NCL suites have a very nice cruise experience and they often eat in the speciality restaurants. I wonder if their praises would be so great if they were in a non-suite cabin eating in the MDR.

This thought is based on what I have read and heard on news shows regarding NCL's ways to create revenue.

I understand that people in NCL suites have a very nice cruise experience and they often eat in the speciality restaurants. I wonder if their praises would be so great if they were in a non-suite cabin eating in the MDR.

This thought is based on what I have read and heard on news shows regarding NCL's ways to create revenue.

For the past 4 NCL cruises I have traveled with friends that either had regular Balcony cabins and one group of friends had a Mini Suite. Yes I do have a suite but we would eat 3 to 4 nights in the Main Dining Room because my friends did NOT want to spend the money for the Specialty dining, one couple since retired is on a tight budget. We love the Main Dining Room, some of the most memorable meals I have had on a ship were in the Main Dining Room of NCL. I have had by far the Best Blue Crab Crab Cakes I have ever eaten there and have never had a bad meal. Sadly I cannot say that about HAL. My favorite lunch time meal is actually in the Garden Cafe aka Lido even though we could go eat in Moderno for lunch as a Suite passenger but I much prefer their buffet :) One of the couples we travel with was recently on the Westerdam for Alaska and said the one thing they did miss about NCL was the food compared to what they had on HAL. So in my opinion and several others the food is actually a bit better on NCL. Well to be truthful I think the food is a LOT better :D Compared to my last two HAL cruises.

In my experience, absolutely. I've only sailed NCL in a suite category once, have only eaten in a specialty restaurant once, when it was free. I've always received excellent service, and have eaten very good meals in NCL's main dining rooms, Lido, and other no charge venues such as the Blue Lagoon (now O'sheehan's).

NCL's current attempt to create revenue, while leaving somewhat of a bad taste in my mouth, hasn't trickled down to the actual cruise experience so far as I can tell. What it has done is put the price of an NCL cruise out of my reach, and that's...sad.

In my experience, absolutely. I've only sailed NCL in a suite category once, have only eaten in a specialty restaurant once, when it was free. I've always received excellent service, and have eaten very good meals in NCL's main dining rooms, Lido, and other no charge venues such as the Blue Lagoon (now O'sheehan's).

NCL's current attempt to create revenue, while leaving somewhat of a bad taste in my mouth, hasn't trickled down to the actual cruise experience so far as I can tell. What it has done is put the price of an NCL cruise out of my reach, and that's...sad.

Where is a "like," or "love" button when you need one!

I've been on two NCL cruises, in a balcony cabin and in an oceanview cabin. The MDR meals are just fine and I book NCL, looking for the 'freestyle' experience and the variety onboard and not for a week of gourmet dining. I do like the variety of dining venues from which to choose. I'll sail with them again.

NCL and HAL really don't compete with one another, in my opinion. They are completely different cruising experiences. It's really ok to like and enjoy the offerings of more than one cruiseline. I'm looking forward to sailing again in the future with HAL on the Konigsdam.

I think it's good to 'get outside one's travel box' and try something new once in awhile.

I'd rather have them try to generate revenue and keep the shipboard staff count high (which they have done thus far). Competitors have no real way to generate additional revenue (they are late to that party), and are cutting staff left and right to compensate.

I'm one of those who would rather cruise less often (if necessary) to have a quality experience than to cruise more often and have an inferior product because of keeping fares extremely low.

Edited by sail7seas

I'm one of those who would rather cruise less often (if necessary) to have a quality experience than to cruise more often and have an inferior product because of keeping fares extremely low.

Agree. It is why DW and I switched to NCL. HAL lost us due to the constant cutbacks and poor ship condition. We usually cruise in suites (or The Haven), and do not feel that HAL offers a competitive product in that category any longer.

I was told high number days cruisers on NCL have a different color card so it is identifiable? Anyone know if that is so?

I doubt it. My husband and I have exactly the same number of days on NCL and our colors are usually different.

We travel in Inside cabins and cheapest ocean view. Except for our two meals in Le Bistro we eat only in MDR and buffet, sometimes in O'Sheehans/Blue Lagoon and we definitely have praise for NCL.

Instead of going by what you see/read on news shows, read more of the Reviews by those who have actually cruised lower category cabins on NCL.

• 3 weeks later...

Do you think I should post a link to this thread on the NCL forum? Would anyone be bothered to read it?

Thanks so much for posting this on the NCL board. DH and I are considering HAL for a 2017 northern Europe cruise and we have concerns as you did about NCL. Your comments give me some comparisons that will be helpful as we decide what to book.

Happy future cruising! :)

Welcome home and thank you for taking the time to share your experience. Very informative reading.

I sailed on the Dawn for my birthday in April. Chose the cruise for the date and New Orleans to Boston itinerary. New carpet in the halls was installed during that time. Biggest plus (vs. HAL) for me was the sitting inside for muster drill and the wine bottle discount with the beverage package.

Started cruising with Mom seven years after Dad died and now I'm hooked so I cruise solo more than I cruise with her. I think she has only cruised solo once since widowed. Since she lives in Hawaii, it is a long flight to get anywhere to go on a cruise.

Thank you for taking the time to post (and the cross-post to NCL boards.) This story touched me as you are brave, open minded, fair in criticism, quick to assume positive intentions in others, and —*best of all —*ready to be positive in your attitude. You are exactly what we need more of on these boards and in the world as a whole.

Thank you for taking the time to post (and the cross-post to NCL boards.) This story touched me as you are brave, open minded, fair in criticism, quick to assume positive intentions in others, and —*best of all —*ready to be positive in your attitude. You are exactly what we need more of on these boards and in the world as a whole.

So true! :D

So true! :D

How special to read such messages.

I am greatly appreciative.

Thank you. :)