Thinking Of Taking Mexican Riviera 10 Day Cruise

firecapt25

We are thinking about taking this cruise March 2017 on Star Princess I have a few questions.

1. Is this a good cruise to see Mexico we have never been there ?

2. Is this a good time of year to go ?

3. What are the must things to see ?

We took this cruise in Feb 2015 on the Star Princess and enjoyed it. Weather was nice. We would do it again. We like the Star Princess. We did not take any organized tours in any of the ports.

Brief port comments:

Loreto: A tender port. Not commercialized. One of the best port stops we have seen. A nice quiet town that does not get heavy tourism and cruise ships. There was a free folk show going on just for our benefit. Loreto was the capital of Spanish California for 80 years starting in 1697. The southern end of El Camino Real is right in front of the mission. There is a plaque in the street.

LaPaz: The ship docks about 1/2 hour from town and there is a bus service. We were only there in the morning so we never left the pier area.

Cabo: A tender port. Big time cruise stop. Lots of things to do. Nice marina area with lots of shopping, dining and beer stops. The Port is known for whale watching, but I am not certain if the whales are still there at the end of March. Some passengers go to one of the nice resort hotels to use the beach. They are close by.

Puerto Vallarta: We took a taxi to/from The Malecon, about 15/20 min drive. You can't really walk it. It is a shopping, dining, beach area. Nice.

Like many places in Mexico it may not be the safest to leave the tourist areas on your own.

We did this cruise this year in Feb. and had a great time. Everything about the Star we enjoyed.

Cabo: We went horseback riding on the beach. This was a ship tour and we very much enjoyed the day.

Loreto : We went snorkeling to an island. The boat ride was a little scary and the water way too cold. We did see a lot of whales which was exciting. This was also a ship tour.

La Paz : We swam with the whale sharks !!!!:eek: Amazing experience,but don't need to do that again. Ship's tour once again.

Puerto Vallarta : Boat ride to a beach. Can't remember the beach,but would not do this again. The best part of the day was the boat ride. This was also a ship tour .

This was a very relaxing cruise which I'm sure we will do again.

DH and I are going on a similar cruise in April, on the Ruby Princess. Don't get me wrong, I love the Star Princess, but the port stops are longer and better on the 10-day Mexico cruises out of Los Angeles. You also get a stop in San Diego.

I've done many seven and ten day Mexico cruises, and March is a great time to go. Due to the climate change, the whales sharks were still in La Paz this past April. You have a good chance of seeing them.

We've done the 9 & 10 day versions of this cruise and are doing a 13day version on Carnival in January. All out of Los Angeles.

Look on the West Coast Departure, California Coastal and Mexican Riviera boards for port info.

We did this cruise this past Jan. We loved the Star, thought she was a beautiful ship. She had just come out of dry dock & looked good.

Loreto - loved this small town. Very clean with a traditional feel. Nice little beach with palapas next to tender dock. ImageUploadedByForums1439323699.100975.jpg.758f84cac9657a5bf41a8ae144f3fb81.jpg

La Paz - you dock about 30 mins from town. So getting to town includes a bus ride. Allow time for standing in line waiting for a bus back to the ship.

ImageUploadedByForums1439323983.604668.jpg.22ec1faee597cb14023bc7bb02ccf4cc.jpg

Cabo - we took a 1 hr glass bottom boat tour. Very enjoyable. We purchased this from a vendor on the pier. There were a lot of pushy vendors as soon as we got off the tender but we just continued walking a ways and we talked to a very nice man who was not at all pushy, but friendly & informative. He recommended "The Office" for lunch. It was the most awesome food & atmosphere! Really enjoyed it!!! It is right on the beach, literally, your toes are in the sand. He dropped us off on the beach and came back to get us in 3 hours. The Office is located under the big blue umbrellas on the beach. ImageUploadedByForums1439325495.305103.jpg.85535e83eda1c741719d599bfa99931d.jpg

Puerto Vallarta - We went on a food tour that We pre purchased online. VALLARTA FOOD TOURS. I had read many great reviews about it and we were not disappointed. Very fun, informative & delicious! It does involve quite a bit of walking.

I would do this whole trip again in a heart beat! : )

ImageUploadedByForums1439324519.967232.jpg.da49598c6ac4ec6123f4daebdeb366fa.jpg

Edited by #1Nanna

Cabo - we took a 1 hr glass bottom boat tour. Very enjoyable. We purchased this from a vendor on the pier. There were a lot of pushy vendors as soon as we got off the tender but we just continued walking a ways and we talked to a very nice man who was not at all pushy, but friendly & informative. He recommended "The Office" for lunch. It was the most awesome food & atmosphere! Really enjoyed it!!! It is right on the beach, literally, your toes are in the sand. He dropped us off on the beach and came back to get us in 3 hours. The Office is located under the big blue umbrellas on the beach. [ATTACH]358845[/ATTACH]

DH and I love the Office. We tried the margaritas, guacamole and the cerviche. It was all wonderful.