Will the prices drop by much?

Without a crystal ball it is difficult to say.

It is a lottery as to which cruises will drop in price

You may decide to wait and then find they don't reduce and even that prices rise or it may sell out altogether.

Book when the price is right for you ;)

I think it fair to say that some prices will fall on some cruises; most likely cruises of an itinerary which is repeated many times. Cruises which are outside of school holidays and cruises on less popular ships.

There is still an over capacity of berths on cruises from the UK. If you are looking at a special ship on a rarely offered itinerary I think it will hold its price and you will be out of luck. The way to bag a bargain is late booking with flexibility but this is generally difficult with people who have to obtain approval for leave from work. Keep checking the situation for 90 or fewer days to go with internet dummy bookings. You will likely get a cheaper cruise to where you have previously been.

Regards John

Having cruised with all the major cruise lines and always looking for a bargain, my thoughts are :-

If like me you can go at a moments notice and travel outside of school term times, the price is usually lowest about 1-3 weeks prior to embarkation, however if the cruise is a one off itinerary, it will probably hold its price. You have to be prepared to get a guaranteed cabin - i.e. no choice of deck, but the price can be very low.

Another tip is that prices are lower just before Christmas. We have had a Caribbean cruise, flying from the UK, for 14 nights in a balcony, for £799 pp, returning about a week before Christmas day. We did a transatlantic on the Ventura last year for £675 pp in a balcony, booked three days before we sailed

Always shop around and look at all the main cruise sellers on the internet, some give bigger discounts than others and offer sweeteners, OBC, free parking etc.

If you want a specific cruise on a specific date, then my advice is to book when you are comfortable with the price, if you are like me and want the bargain and are happy to "miss the boat" if the price isn't right and wait for the next one, then hold your nerve !

Looking at the new year on ventura' date=' if I hold off will the prices drop? Or do they tend to stay consistent ☺[/quote']

By what Wilson has said-who has been looking the past few years -cruises that include the new year do not drop in price.

You could leave it until final payment has been paid by the select fares/early savers (90 days prior to sail date)

If they do still have cabins left by then they will drop the prices down late saver rates. However you will be given what ever is left in your type of cabin.

You would only be able to specify type-inside-outside-balcony-etc. If you wanted a particular type, lets say balcony-you risk that they would all be sold out.

Also with saver you will have no dining option. You will be given what they have left. If you do not like the dining option you could try changing on board, but there is no guarantee they would be able to accommodate you.

I guess it comes down to how flexible you are as to whether you chose to hold out.

Having cruised with all the major cruise lines and always looking for a bargain, my thoughts are :-

If like me you can go at a moments notice and travel outside of school term times, the price is usually lowest about 1-3 weeks prior to embarkation, however if the cruise is a one off itinerary, it will probably hold its price. You have to be prepared to get a guaranteed cabin - i.e. no choice of deck, but the price can be very low.

Another tip is that prices are lower just before Christmas. We have had a Caribbean cruise, flying from the UK, for 14 nights in a balcony, for £799 pp, returning about a week before Christmas day. We did a transatlantic on the Ventura last year for £675 pp in a balcony, booked three days before we sailed

Always shop around and look at all the main cruise sellers on the internet, some give bigger discounts than others and offer sweeteners, OBC, free parking etc.

If you want a specific cruise on a specific date, then my advice is to book when you are comfortable with the price, if you are like me and want the bargain and are happy to "miss the boat" if the price isn't right and wait for the next one, then hold your nerve !

Exactly right. It has become clearer that bargains are available Nov/Dec for a few years now as the number of ships has increased and with the increase in cruises from Southampton after Christmas.

On 3 of our cruises, to come, the type of cabin we use is sold out and one of them is in Jan 16. So no advantage in waiting.

I tracked the price of a non P&O cruise every month between Jan and May this year.

It is a sample of one, but shows the price changes.

It was for a balcony cabin for two adults and a child on a Baltic cruise which left last Saturday on Celebrity Eclipse.

Jan £6100 OBC £1200 post Christmas 'great deals offer'!

Feb £5508 no OBC

Mar £4223 OBC £150

Apr £4320 OBC £400

May £3920 OBC £800 GTY fare

June sold out.

I've used OBC to represent the value of all the "freebies" as some had OBC and drinks package or free parking etc.

I've met so many upset people on cruises who have paid top prices and learned what they could have saved whilst onboard. Many do not realise that prices go up and down and rely on high street travel agents.

I will add I never divulge what I have paid unless asked.

Edited by bobstheboy

I've met so many upset people on cruises who have paid top prices and learned what they could have saved whilst onboard. Many do not realise that prices go up and down and rely on high street travel agents.

I will add I never divulge what I have paid unless asked.

I can never remember what I paid:eek: unless I check my confirmation, so wouldn't remember once on board:confused:

I can never remember what I paid:eek: unless I check my confirmation, so wouldn't remember once on board:confused:

Same here. If I want a cruise I book it. By the time the holiday begins I haven't a clue how much it cost. If somebody gets it cheaper then good for them.

I like the idea of last minute cruises but am I right in assuming that late bookings tend to be for the cabins nobody else wants? If that means inside cabins then I'm not interested.The thought of being stuck in an inside cabin where you have to go outside to distinguish night from day is simply not an option for me.

Same here. If I want a cruise I book it. By the time the holiday begins I haven't a clue how much it cost. If somebody gets it cheaper then good for them.

I like the idea of last minute cruises but am I right in assuming that late bookings tend to be for the cabins nobody else wants? If that means inside cabins then I'm not interested.The thought of being stuck in an inside cabin where you have to go outside to distinguish night from day is simply not an option for me.

You can choose the category, either inside, outside, balcony or suite but they chose the exact cabin. We have done a few saver fares and never been disappointed. The worst cabin we were given was on select and an upgrade (well according to P and O it was an upgrade:eek:) and it was the noisiest cab ever.:mad:

If you have chosen a cabin and location that you really want, then ticking the 'no upgrade' is the best thing to do. We have done that on a Select Booking for next June.

But if you don't really mind, then we like to take the gamble. We have had an upgrade to a larger and better Inside cabin on a Select fare and an upgrade from a partially obstructed balcony to the top of the next category on a Guarantee booking. Our friends went from an outside to an outside deluxe, which was lovely.

But there's times we are happy to take the gamble and times we aren't. But upgrades have never been bad news for us.

I've ticked the no upgrade box as I've read to many posts about bad upgrades

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I was upgraded from a superior balcony into a superior balcony higher grade. And boy what an upgrade that was as the cabin had a 20 ft balcony. It was so good I have booked the same cabin for my spring cruise with a very firm tick in the no upgrade box as there is no way I want to be moved from that cabin.