Sunscreen - bring or buy onboard?

jennymaxgirl

If you are planning to snorkel, please be sure to use a coral safe sunscreen. They are more expensive, but will not harm the coral or other sea life. I am not some crazy environmentalist or anything, but I do care about protecting sea life.

I have never heard of this ....can you recommend a brand?

We take our own. My wife can't use sunscreen with Vitamin E - she breaks out - so it's best to be sure we have something she can use. I can't stand the fragrance in most brands so I take one I can tolerate. Trusting to the ship to have something that works for both (or either) of us isn't a good plan and I can't imagine getting a good price onboard.

Per above, best to take one you know for sure will not make you have an allergic reaction. ;)

You might be surprised at how good the sunscreen prices are on the ship. I was. $6 for a bottle of a very decent brand didn't seem expensive to me. :)

LuLu

Just wondering what prices are like onboard. Is it cheaper to bring in luggage ? I live in Canada so foreign exchange factors in, but if it's reasonably priced onboard it would be convenient.

Taking a 10 nt Carib with my family of four so I am guessing we will use a fair amount.

Thx!

Always cheaper to buy from your local druggist. Pack your SPF 50 in check through luggage. If you run out, you can always purchase more on board.:D

This might sound like a stupid question. My wife asked me if we need sun block for an Alaskan cruise? I said i have no idea, but i have had sun burn to the face when we went to El Calafate and were standing close to the San Moreno glacier for a couple of hours. We are wondering if we might get sunburn looking at Glaciers and ice in Alaska?

Regards Peter

This might sound like a stupid question. My wife asked me if we need sun block for an Alaskan cruise? I said i have no idea, but i have had sun burn to the face when we went to El Calafate and were standing close to the San Moreno glacier for a couple of hours. We are wondering if we might get sunburn looking at Glaciers and ice in Alaska?

Definitely use sun protection in Alaska.

o There are more intense rays as you go far north (remember the shrinking ozone layers)

o The suns rays can reflect intensely off of the white surface of glaciers and ice.

I keep a permanently packed bag for travel, and sunscreen is in it because I don't like having to spend time on a vacation looking for something I could have brought with me. I'm also glad to have sunscreen when I find myself in places where you would not have expected to need it.

Just an FYI,

Sun screen expires. When it does, you (could) get burned worse than wearing none at all (we have experienced this ouch!) . Also, I am told Noxema works well for sun burns. I have not tried it as I haven't been burned in many years (knock on wood).

http://www.ehow.com/how_5064384_treat-sunburn-noxzema.html

Just an FYI,

Sun screen expires. When it does, you (could) get burned worse than wearing none at all (we have experienced this ouch!) . Also, I am told Noxema works well for sun burns. I have not tried it as I haven't been burned in many years (knock on wood).

THANK YOU! The Noxema information is new to me. I do know to replace sunscreen each year-always buy Avon when it's on special, and wear it even in the wintertime! I carry a cooler bag in the summer time with sunscreen and medication supplies always with me, but for embarkation a stick weighing less than 2 oz (can't find the conversion table!) will be in my handbag and the tube will be in the cooler bag in the checked case,

I WAS young and stupid as a kid, and didn't take sun protection seriously. After a vicious fight with multiple breast cancer lumps, I now take ALL possible precautions-I value my life too much!

If you don't have time to shop and are traveling from say, overseas, you can,If you know what hotel you will be staying at, have some sunscreen or or other supplies shipped to the hotel. Just pre-arrange (email) the to make sure that you can have a package sent to the hotel ahead of time. You can use a website like amazon.com (they have 2 day delivery) or drugstore.com. Make sure it will be delivered several days ahead of your arrival.

Edited by familyoutdoors

Regards Peter

Yes, wear sunscreen SPF50 in Alaska. Especially if you're a White person. More chance to contract deadly skin cancer.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

Regards Peter

Buy your SPF50 sunscreen before you get on board. You can always replenish at the ship's store, but it will cost more. If that matters to you.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

Just an FYI,

Thanks for the reminder. I try to change it out once a year because it does expire, but time flies.

We brought sunscreen to Alaska in July...

didn't need to use a lot...but we did use it...

Also, it really is smart to take sunscreen you know you will not have a reaction to. A co-worker was on vacation and used a new sunscreen and had a terrible reaction while on vacation....

Some things are worth bringing due to exhorbitanat prices and limited choices...

Bernadette

We brought sunscreen to Alaska in July...

didn't need to use a lot...but we did use it...

Also, it really is smart to take sunscreen you know you will not have a reaction to. A co-worker was on vacation and used a new sunscreen and had a terrible reaction while on vacation....

Some things are worth bringing due to exhorbitanat prices and limited choices...

Bernadette

This is so true! The only titanium dioxide based stuff found on princess was a berry scented Hello Kitty brand. Worked but I smelled like a scratch and sniff. On Celebrity it was a 1.5 oz tube for 42$. The suitcase with the sunblock had been stolen so you do what you have to do. In the South American ports I could not find any that I can use.

This is so true! The only titanium dioxide based stuff found on princess was a berry scented Hello Kitty brand. Worked but I smelled like a scratch and sniff. On Celebrity it was a 1.5 oz tube for 42$. The suitcase with the sunblock had been stolen so you do what you have to do. In the South American ports I could not find any that I can use.

THAT'S EXACTLY the reason a fresh roll-on (approx. 2 oz) or tube (approx. 5 oz) or both, usually both-paranoid about medical stuff now LOL-in my handbag, and carry on case. I'm particular about the products I use, and always take full bottles with me, even if I also have partly used products to finish off, I have adequate supplies!

Just an FYI,

I'm a "strawberry blond" and when I was growing up in Southern IN, I would burn just about every summer. My mother would coat me with Noxema; it really took the burn out of sunburn.

• 2 weeks later...

We have not been checking luggage on the flights for our last several cruises, so we're restricted by the carry on limits. I found smaller sizes of several sunscreens at Target, as well as mosquito repellent, so they went in the quart size ziploc bag. Both DH and I stay in the shade when possible, so we had plenty. I like the suggestion to treat sunscreen like prescribed medication -- has anyone had success getting the larger containers through airline security?

I like the suggestion to treat sunscreen like prescribed medication -- has anyone had success getting the larger containers through airline security?

Checking the TSA app there is no category for a medicated sunscreen & only for sunscreen that's subject to the 3-1-1 limitations. Searching online I was unable to located any prescription sunscreen.

I always bring my own sunscreen, it's very expensive on the ship.

So, if you had a choice of paying a few dollars more for sunscreen on board the ship, or die from skin cancer which one would you choose? No brainer. :eek:

So, if you had a choice of paying a few dollars more for sunscreen on board the ship, or die from skin cancer which one would you choose? No brainer. :eek:

As I am currently undergoing treatments for carcinoma I am acutely aware of skin cancer.....I will bring my own sunscreen in my checked luggage thank you....its a no brainer as you say.:eek:

Edited by Putterdude