NCL Pearl Alaska R/T - July or September?

TravelScholar

Received an offer for a "complimentary" balcony stateroom, and my wife and I would like to use it on an Alaska cruise - 7 night, R/T Seattle.

I had originally chosen the 03 July departure, but found out that I cannot use the "3rd/4th Guests Sail Free" option on that sailing. Total price would be $1691 for three guests.

The earliest sailing eligible for the 3rd/4th Guests Sail Free is the 04 September departure. Total would be $1142 for three guests.

So, it's a $549 difference, which we would gladly take to pay for gratuities, excursions, etc.

The question is, would a July sailing vs a September sailing be worth an extra $549, in your opinion, and why or why not?

(Actually, the difference would be more like $360, since I would probably elect the FREE Gratuities option for the July sailing, which is worth $189. So, if you use that to offset the $549 fare difference, it's a "real" difference of $360 more to sail in July vs September.)

I have never done an Alaska cruise, but I do live above the Arctic Circle in Norway. And it is a fact that even though you might get lucky and get nice weather in September here, the temperatures are in general higher in July - it is also a higher risk of rain in September compared to July. I am pretty certain it is the same weather in Alaska, since Alaska is situated at around the same latitude as North Norway.

Edited by TrumpyNor

July is "High Season" so I would chose September. With school back is season, The Pearl will have many more adults than kids.

The weather in Seattle is very nice. Please try to add a day or two to enjoy the city either pre or post cruise. Too many places to see and things to do to mention here.

Either cruise would be great. Which timeframe fits better in your schedule?

July is "High Season" so I would chose September. With school back is season, The Pearl will have many more adults than kids.

The weather in Seattle is very nice. Please try to add a day or two to enjoy the city either pre or post cruise. Too many places to see and things to do to mention here.

Either cruise would be great. Which timeframe fits better in your schedule?

July works slightly better, schedule-wise, because things tend to be slower where I work. But, that's also subject to change.

I put a refundable deposit down for July whilst I think about it just to hold the stateroom.

My initial online reading seems to indicate that July is the better time to go for reasons like "warmer weather" and "more daylight", and that September is often praised for "fall foliage" but knocked for being the "worst weather of the Alaska cruise season". Crowds don't necessarily bother us, and we'll be travelling with a 4 year old, so the kids will actually be great for her to make some friends. $360 is a day of excursions, though. Hmm...

With Sept, on average. you have the worse potential for weather, more rain, more cold. You do need a wide range of attire however, no matter when you go during the cruise season- including lightweight jacket, hat and gloves- IF you want to enjoy outside during your cruise.

Other negative of Sept, is darkness- going to be getting pretty dark, by 7pm.

I suggest you determine- how you are going to occupy your port time. That can dictate your time as well.

With Sept, on average. you have the worse potential for weather, more rain, more cold. You do need a wide range of attire however, no matter when you go during the cruise season- including lightweight jacket, hat and gloves- IF you want to enjoy outside during your cruise.

Other negative of Sept, is darkness- going to be getting pretty dark, by 7pm.

I suggest you determine- how you are going to occupy your port time. That can dictate your time as well.

Daylight may be a concern, and living in a warm weather climate certainly makes us cold weather wimps. LOL

We went in late June and the weather was perfect. Our day in Skagway was the warmest on record for that particular date. It was 84 degrees. It made the White Mountain train ride very interesting as we left Skagway with 84 degrees and by the time we got to the pass at the top, there was snow on the ground and it was about 45 degrees. All of us were in shorts! To walk out on deck at 10:30p at night and see the sun on the mountain tops was crazy cool. In September there is about 4 less hours of daylight (14 hrs-Sept as opposed to 18 hrs-July). September is their rainiest month. I think you made the right decision going in July.

Edited by tarps14