Cinque terre restaurant

freeon

Can anyone recommend a good restaurant in Cinque Terre. We are not much off sea food lovers and would rather get pasta. Most restaurant i found online are seafood restaurant which is understandable since they are fishing villages. It would be for lunch. An ocean view terrace would be a plus.

We loved the Blue Marlin in Vernazza, found it in Rick Steves' guide. It's more of a bar, and they only have a few specials to choose from each day, but I had the best pasta with pesto I've ever had~

The owner runs the bar and breaks out into opera every few minutes. We had a great time there, went back a few months later and were crushed to find it closed for winter vacation. . .

We like to look at multiple restaurants and pay particular attention to the daily specials (which are always the best deal). As to pasta (I worship the stuff at home and abroad), keep in mind that in Italy, pasta is almost like an intermezzo course. Every restaurant will have pasta, and you can certainly order pasta for your lunch. But in the world of Italy they would see this as a preamble to your main course. Fortunately for you, the cafes and restaurants in all the villages are used to dealing with many international tourists. Accordingly, you will be among many if you simply order pasta as your lunch.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

It's been a couple of years since I've been to Vernazza. But, I did look to see if some of the places I liked were back in business since the mudslides. Here are the ones I'd recommend:

Vulnetia. Right on the harbor front piazza. Ate there for lunch our last day (we spent a few nights in Vernazza). My best friend and I shared a bowl of seafood risotto. It was excellent. My friend has celiac disease, so she doesn't eat pasta. She never had risotto before - she loved it and found a new food. Her husband had the area's signature trofie pasta in pesto. He snarfed that up like a vacuum! The daughter of the owner actually was the owner of our apartment. We had to drop the keys off at the restaurant since she was working there that day. Very pleasant family.

Il Pirata. Totally touristy, but we enjoyed our breakfasts and dinners (went twice) there. Had excellent gnocchi and other pastas. They have amazing desserts. The big drawback is that it is up the hill past the train station, right at the Vernazza public parking lot. No view, but good food. The two Sicilian brothers who own the place are very, well, chatty. I can see where some folks would be annoyed by their banter. But, we were OK with it.

The Panificio Focacceria. It was across the walkway from our apartment. We'd hit it up everyday for fresh foccacia and other breads to make our lunches (we'd get the meats, cheeses and tomato from the store next door - don't know if it re-opened post-mudslide). They also did sandwiches for grab and go.

Edited by slidergirl

Thanks for the tips. We have been there before and visited 4 of the villages and stopped at a restaurant in Monterosso. I forget the name of the place but have to say I was disappointed. Ordered a lasagna and I think it was leftovers they put in the microwave. Wasn't expecting that from a place like this. This time since we have already been and will only be one day and our traveling companions really want to see Pisa we are going to take the train to Pisa to take a few pictures and are hoping to take the train back to Cinque Terre and be there in time for lunch. I know we won't have time to see all five villages and since Vernazza was my favorite village the last time and seems the feedback I'm getting is that they have the best restaurant I think we'll just take the train from Pisa to Vernazza and look around a see what specials they have and then after lunch if there is still time we might go see another village.

I did forget: Vulnetia had good seafood. That risotto I had was full of fresh catch! I remembered my friend's husband's trofie, but I did forget that he tried their fresh fish (can't remember if it was anchovy or sardine) appetizer and there was nothing left of it when he finished. I usually try to do vegetarian when I travel, so I don't usually do much meat/fowl/seafood, so it's mostly pasta and salads and lots of plates of contorni. But, give me a good risotto, and I'll eat it regardless of the contents ;)