Passport vs just birth certificate?

becca5

It doesn't have anything to do with going into the ports/getting off the ship in ports.

A passport is needed when you board and when you re-enter the country, in this case, at the end of your cruise.

Using a birth certificate at embarkation puts you through extra hoops. Can it be done? Absolutely "yes", if it is a certified birth certificate, you have a valid U.S. driver's license or other form of photographic government-issued I.D.. They may or may not ask for that "bridging" document of your marriage certificate, but better to have it and not need it than to not have it and need it!

In Nassau, they want to see your driver's license. Passport absolutely not needed.

This is not a completely accurate statement. Please Be Aware!!

The Real reason to travel with a passport (other than the ease of the initial boarding , is this).

If you are in another country and miss the ship, or get injured and need to fly back to the states. IT IS VERY VERY difficult to re-enter the country by air without a passport..

Also be aware that their are two different kinds of birth certificates. california started using this short form about 15 years ago (it 1/2 page instead of a full page) That is not allowed and last time my friends son went with us, we had to get a new birth certificate issued.

That being said, I do travel at least once per year with guests that only have birth certificate. Boarding and getting off when you come home is not really a big deal ( maybe 5 minutes more paperwork) but... just know the risk. Personally if you are going to travel a lot... might as well get the passport ( ps, I would get the passport card as well)

Edited by TheTruthCanHurt

As others have pointed out, it's best to have a passport. As for processing time, you definitely need to pay for expedited service. Those saying they got theirs in 10 days or so were talking about renewals. Since your passports have already expired, you will effectively be getting a brand newone, so it can take up to 8 weeks unless you expedite.

I like the advice of the person who suggested going ahead and getting passports, but being prepared with driver's licenses and certified copies of birth certificates and your marriage certificate. If your passports make it, then you're all set. If not, then hopefully, your other documents will get you on and off the ship at Port Canaveral.

Getting on and off the ship at the touring ports does not require anything but your RCCL sea pass card. RCCL will even suggest you keep your passports locked in the safe during your entire cruise However, as has also been mentioned, if you were to get left behind or have an emergency while in port, not having a passport could be a huge problem. I recall a recent thread about a member who was left in Nassau and he had to spend over $1000 on a hotel, same-day consulate-issued passports, and flights to get back to the ship.

There is also another advantage to having a passport. If you travel by air, even domestically, there is a new regulation coming called the REAL ID Act. It requires more stringent controls of states that issue driver's licenses. Not all states are in compliance with the rules, and even those that are requires you to jump through some extra hoops and cost to get one. For example, you may have to go to s special state office and show a certified birth certificate, social security card, and two other forms of ID in order to get a license that complies with REAL ID. But if you have a passport, you don't need to worry about that - TSA will accept that readily.

The Real reason to travel with a passport (other than the ease of the initial boarding , is this).

If you are in another country and miss the ship, or get injured and need to fly back to the states. IT IS VERY VERY difficult to re-enter the country by air without a passport..

Also be aware that their are two different kinds of birth certificates. california started using this short form about 15 years ago (it 1/2 page instead of a full page) That is not allowed and last time my friends son went with us, we had to get a new birth certificate issued.

That being said, I do travel at least once per year with guests that only have birth certificate. Boarding and getting off when you come home is not really a big deal ( maybe 5 minutes more paperwork) but... just know the risk. Personally if you are going to travel a lot... might as well get the passport ( ps, I would get the passport card as well)

Why spend the extra $30? If you've already got a passport book, a passport card is fairly useless. The point of the passport card is if you only travel between the US, Mexico, Bahamas, or Caribbean by land or sea and don't want to spend the $110 for a passport book. If you've got the passport book you don't need the card. Save the $30 for a few drinks once you get onboard.

As for short forms versus long forms, it doesn't matter which version it is as long as it's an original, notarized, or certified copy of the certificate

Why spend the extra $30? If you've already got a passport book, a passport card is fairly useless. The point of the passport card is if you only travel between the US, Mexico, Bahamas, or Caribbean by land or sea and don't want to spend the $110 for a passport book. If you've got the passport book you don't need the card. Save the $30 for a few drinks once you get onboard.

As for short forms versus long forms, it doesn't matter which version it is as long as it's an original, notarized, or certified copy of the certificate

HI,

1. The passport card is an amazing second id ( for $30.00)

plus as you said if your are doing other travel, in many places it's excepted and way easier to carry than the full passport

2. Not sure where your Birth cert knowledge comes from. MINE is first hand. In multiple conversations with RCCL they told me The short form of the birth certificate was NOT ACCEPTABLE, and yes I even emailed them a copy of it for review, forcing us to go down to the office and get the full size one. ( not really sure why they issue the short ones) but DIRECT from RCCL we would not be allowed to sail with it. I did not want to show up and fight for it (although there are those that always think they know better ) me.. I prefer to do as I am told by the cruise line.. Creates much less stress for me:)

There is plenty of bad information given on CC and plenty of good information, and plenty of (I think so) do your own research.. this post has ZERO speculation or opinion in it. IT is based 100% on my experience ....

now applying for an actual passport may be a different story... you may be able to use short form for that.

but according to the us gov website. You can NOT use a short form for a visa... not sure why that matters.

Edited by TheTruthCanHurt

?..Not sure where your Birth cert knowledge comes from. MINE is first hand. In multiple conversations with RCCL they told me The short form of the birth certificate was NOT ACCEPTABLE, and yes I even emailed them a copy of it for review, forcing us to go down to the office and get the full size one. ( not really sure why they issue the short ones) but DIRECT from RCCL we would not be allowed to sail with it. I did not want to show up and fight for it (although there are those that always think they know better ) me.. I prefer to do as I am told by the cruise line.. Creates much less stress for me:)

There is plenty of bad information given on CC and plenty of good information, and plenty of (I think so) do your own research.. this post has ZERO speculation or opinion in it. IT is based 100% on my experience ....

Fine, but your 'first hand experience' doesn't state WHY the 'short form' BC is unacceptable. So your experience may or may not apply to anyone but you. Care to elaborate on the differences? ;)

What do you mean by short form vs long form? Do they both have a seal?

My original was a full page with lots of info. I had to have it replaced a number of years ago. It's only half page with just my name, parents name and DOB. But it has a seal so it is acceptable.

Fine, but your 'first hand experience' doesn't state WHY the 'short form' BC is unacceptable. So your experience may or may not apply to anyone but you. Care to elaborate on the differences? ;)

There explanation to me was that since the government was not recognizing it in all circumstances for passport or visa applications, that it was not acceptable to them, since they are required to provided this information to the authorities.(now they may be doing this out of an abundance of caution, but this is what they told me) I was also poking through other CC threads where this has been a debate with mixed comments there as well..

Again,

I travel with people with birth certs at least once per year. I am not at all saying not to do it ( although I do feel that if you are going to cruise a few times in a 5 year span, it's definitely worth it) I am only sharing my experience as a traveler with a group that does use birth certs, that this is the information given to me at the time by Royal. At any rate, if you do choose to use a BC , assuming you can get it.. the 10 or 20 dollar charge to re-issue a full page one, would still be cheaper than a passport if that was the way you wanted to go.

Although we cruise with passports now, my wife cruised on our first cruise with a NY State short form birth certificate and no marriage certificate was needed to go along with them. Now with that said, I believe CC is a good source of information concerning all things cruising but at the end of the day when it comes to things as far as what I would need to get on and off the ship, in and out of the country on closed loop or open loop, etc., I would get my information from the cruise line or Homeland Security. As you see on here there are so many different versions and opinions as to what is needed or not needed that you could not possibly know who is giving accurate information. Why risk not having what you need when you get to port by relying on the information of people on CC whom you do not know, including the information at the beginning of my post!

Although we cruise with passports now, my wife cruised on our first cruise with a NY State short form birth certificate and no marriage certificate was needed to go along with them. Now with that said, I believe CC is a good source of information concerning all things cruising but at the end of the day when it comes to things as far as what I would need to get on and off the ship, in and out of the country on closed loop or open loop, etc., I would get my information from the cruise line or Homeland Security. As you see on here there are so many different versions and opinions as to what is needed or not needed that you could not possibly know who is giving accurate information. Why risk not having what you need when you get to port by relying on the information of people on CC whom you do not know, including the information at the beginning of my post!

I completely agree,

While I absolutely speak from personal experience here. Things constantly change.. and you dont know me.. I would definitely do your own research. and if you get the answer you want.. try to get it in writting in the form of an email as opposed to a phone conversation, in case there is an issue.

It took 3 weeks when we got our kids' passports in 2013.

When we renewed our adult passports this year, I sent the renewals in for both of us. Took about 5 weeks to get my wife's back. a week later, we got a letter that I had to retake my picture because of glare on my glasses (even though it met the requirements and you could see eye color in both irises... and my wife's photo had more glare than mine did, yet hers was approved). It took another 3 weeks to get mine after mailing in the replacement photo.

So even if you expedite, there's still the possibility that you won't get it in time if there's an issue processing the application... like someone being overly picky with the photograph.

I trust some people here MUCH more than I trust the mostly clueless CSRs at RC. There really should be no doubt here on what is needed. Its clearly a closed loop cruise. Take the DL, BC and ML (just in case) and there will be absolutely NO problems. Not sure why the OP doesnt want to take her ML with her.

As far as Homeland Security goes, they say this and its pretty cut and dry.

"U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises (cruises that begin and end at the same U.S. port) will be able to enter or depart the country with a birth certificate and government-issued photo ID
Edited by ryano

I trust some people here MUCH more than I trust the mostly clueless CSRs at RC. There really should be no doubt here on what is needed. Its clearly a closed loop cruise. Take the DL, BC and ML (just in case) and there will be absolutely NO problems. Not sure why the OP doesnt want to take her ML with her.

One our very first cruise (DCL in 2006), we did not use passports. My wife di not have one and mine had expired. We took our (then) 11yo granddaughter. We looked into getting passports, but DCL assured us all we needed were DL and BC (and just BC and a notorized letter from her mom for the granddaughter). We got to port, and they told my wife that she would not be able to board since her DSL and BC names did not match. They were nice about it, but were adamant that she could not board.

We asked for a supervisor, who asked if she had anything with her maiden name on it. She also happened to be carrying her Social Security card. Oddly enough, it has her middle name instead of her maiden name, where her DL has maiden. After seeing three documents will combinations of the four names (first, middle, maiden surname and married surname), the supervisor finally approved her to board. He told us that "next time" she needs to bring a marriage certificate. She has a passport now.

As far as Homeland Security goes, they say this and its pretty cut and dry.

"U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises (cruises that begin and end at the same U.S. port) will be able to enter or depart the country with a birth certificate and government-issued photo ID

That is true, but for one caveat: If "something happens" and you can't return via that closed-loop cruise ship, and you don't have a passport, you are going to have some issues.

Edited by rudeney

Friend of ours just renewed hers and it took 10 days.

In May, our passports were delivered 18 days after I put the apps in the mail. However, as is noted here some recent applicants have experienced much longer waits. I have a passport because I want to take trips I cannot take without it. I think 4 of our cruises have fit in that category. If I were you, given you have a back up option because it is a closed loop cruise, I would apply without the rush fee and take my chances on getting your passport in time. The worst that can happen is you will have to break down and take a copy of your marriage license with you.

. . . Since your passports have already expired, you will effectively be getting a brand newone, so it can take up to 8 weeks unless you expedite. . .

I don't like to be contentious, but this is totally untrue. From the Dept of State Website you can renew by mail via DS form 82 if:

Your Most Recent U.S. Passport:

Is undamaged and can be submitted with your application;

Was issued when you were age 16 or older;

Was issued within the last 15 years; and

Was issued in your current name or you can legally document your name change with original or certified copy of your marriage certificate or the government-issued document evidencing your legal name change.

This means that you can renew through the normal process if your passport has been expired less than 5 years -- I just did it with passports expired for about 9 months.

Also for those considering Passport Cards, keep in mind they are NOT valid for international air travel.

Edited by mjldvlks

Yes, closed loop, port canaveral though.

If we aren't planning on getting off the boat except for cocoa cay, is it any better? I won't be wondering around Nassau. Still thinking I should just rush the passport. My husband doesn't have his, it expired a year ago. But his names are the same on his docs.

It was a completely accurate response to her question about "not getting off in Nassau.", which is what I was doing. I was telling her that she doesn't need the passport in Nassau, she needs it to embark and disembark the entire cruise. The authorities in Nassau are perfectly happy with a driver's license as ID.

As far as emergencies go..................

Does having a passport expedite your return to the United States by air?

Yes, of course.

Is it IMPOSSIBLE to return to the United States by air without a passport?

No, it is not. It is more complicated. But the U.S. Embassy in the foreign country (in becca5's case, the Bahamas) can and will issue an emergency, temporary passport. With everything being computerized and digitized now, if you HAVE a passport, even an expired one, and do not have it with you, the Embassy will issue temporary docs.

You will not be forever condemned to live in the Bahamas. ;)

It was a completely accurate response to her question about "not getting off in Nassau.", which is what I was doing. I was telling her that she doesn't need the passport in Nassau, she needs it to embark and disembark the entire cruise. The authorities in Nassau are perfectly happy with a driver's license as ID.

As far as emergencies go..................

Does having a passport expedite your return to the United States by air?

Yes, of course.

Is it IMPOSSIBLE to return to the United States by air without a passport?

No, it is not. It is more complicated. But the U.S. Embassy in the foreign country (in becca5's case, the Bahamas) can and will issue an emergency, temporary passport. With everything being computerized and digitized now, if you HAVE a passport, even an expired one, and do not have it with you, the Embassy will issue temporary docs.

You will not be forever condemned to live in the Bahamas. ;)

It always cracks me up when some people act as though you'll never be allowed back into the US if you don't have a passport.

And as for the OP I would take my marriage license just in case. It probably won't be needed but it won't hurt to have it.

It took 3 weeks when we got our kids' passports in 2013.

When we renewed our adult passports this year, I sent the renewals in for both of us. Took about 5 weeks to get my wife's back. a week later, we got a letter that I had to retake my picture because of glare on my glasses (even though it met the requirements and you could see eye color in both irises... and my wife's photo had more glare than mine did, yet hers was approved). It took another 3 weeks to get mine after mailing in the replacement photo.

So even if you expedite, there's still the possibility that you won't get it in time if there's an issue processing the application... like someone being overly picky with the photograph.

Be sure to mail your passport applications in different envelopes with Certified Return Receipt. The previous time, I mailed them in the same envelope, and they cashed both checks, processed mine, and lost DH's.

This summer, ours took seven weeks by my reckoning. Passport office's calendar started when our checks cleared. I phoned them on the sixth week, and they said it had been only five. They also blamed the backlog on summer vacation. We got regular processing and expedited return postage, which came in handy since they used tracking.

We both removed our glasses, and the photographer told me I wasn't allowed to smile. Also, I had to push my hair behind my ears. DH was allowed to smile, and they had no problem with his hair and ears. My photo was a little overexposed, and the Passport people overexposed it even more! The original photo got returned with our old passports.

Passports are effectively good for nine and a half years, since they don't want you traveling w/ a passport that expires w/in 6 months.

One of our tour had her passport stolen on the Great Wall of China, and she was able to get it replaced while we were in Beijing. Took her all day to replace the passport and travelers checks. She had them in a plastic bag in her shirt pocket. I just mentioned this, because getting a passport stolen in China would seem a huge deal to me!

Edited by knittinggirl

I will be taking my two grand-daughters (ages 7 and 10) on a California Coastal cruise in February. I will have a notarized authorization form signed by their parents describing that we will be on such and such a ship, flying on such and such an airline on specific dates and flight numbers. I will also have certified copies of their birth certificates with me. Will I need passports since we are staying aboard the ship in Ensenada.

Jean, Is this on Princess? Are you the only adult? If you answered yes to both of those then YES, you must have passports for the G-kids. But this is a Princess contractual requirement, not a U.S. Law. Any other cruiseline, or if traveling with another adult, you are safe with just BC for the g-kids. (I know this is a RCI thread, but it has meandered a bit.)

Edited by cherylandtk

There explanation to me was that since the government was not recognizing it in all circumstances for passport or visa applications, that it was not acceptable to them, since they are required to provided this information to the authorities.(now they may be doing this out of an abundance of caution, but this is what they told me)...
I'm still curious as to the actual differences between your short form and your full page versions. Do they both contain your parents names?

I ask because I cannot find any reference to a short form version being issued in California; I do find reference to certified copies vs. certified informational copies, but those are identical documents as far as the information contained on them goes. (Not to say short forms couldn't have been issued at some time in the past, either.). But the term 'short-form' generally means an abbreviated set of information, and I am wondering if you have that or something else?

It always cracks me up when some people act as though you'll never be allowed back into the US if you don't have a passport.

And as for the OP I would take my marriage license just in case. It probably won't be needed but it won't hurt to have it.

Since I believe you are talking about me... let me clear the air.

1. I never said it was impossible to fly without a passport from a foreign country I said and I quote "it was very very difficult" NOT IMPOSSIBLE

2. My comment about MM's post was "I DONT BELIEVE THIS IS COMPLETELY ACCURATE" and guess what.. It wasnt.

MM said this "It doesn't have anything to do with going into the ports/getting off the ship in ports.

A passport is needed when you board and when you re-enter the country, in this case, at the end of your cruise."

My response to MM was not an attack against her(although so many people are more interested in attacking those that dont share the same belief as them. . It was merely something that I thought should be mentioned because it was and is absolutely relevant to the should I or shouldn't i get a passport topic.

FYI, since most of you dont know me. I am on a plane on average of once per week and travel internationally frequently as well as my 20+ cruises so I do actually have a lot of background in passport/ international travel. that being said. I STRONGLY as RYANO said encourage everyone to do their own research.....

Since I believe you are talking about me... let me clear the air.

1. I never said it was impossible to fly without a passport from a foreign country I said and I quote "it was very very difficult" NOT IMPOSSIBLE

2. My comment about MM's post was "I DONT BELIEVE THIS IS COMPLETELY ACCURATE" and guess what.. It wasnt.

MM said this "It doesn't have anything to do with going into the ports/getting off the ship in ports.

A passport is needed when you board and when you re-enter the country, in this case, at the end of your cruise."

My response to MM was not an attack against her(although so many people are more interested in attacking those that dont share the same belief as them. . It was merely something that I thought should be mentioned because it was and is absolutely relevant to the should I or shouldn't i get a passport topic.

FYI, since most of you dont know me. I am on a plane on average of once per week and travel internationally frequently as well as my 20+ cruises so I do actually have a lot of background in passport/ international travel. that being said. I STRONGLY as RYANO said encourage everyone to do their own research.....

Nope, I wasn't talking about anyone in particular.

Edited by dcgrumpy