Standees

balf

Why do people think they need to stand up to applaud at the end of a performance in the theatre?

Suddenly two people at the front will jump to their feet followed parrot fashion by most of the rest.

I'm sure this is a new phenomenon but whatever, I wish they would stop it.

David.

Now that is what irrritates me - when people get up before the end and leave.

Very rude to the performers. We go to the theater a lot in NYC and I see people standing up and turning on their phones before the performers have left the stage or the curtain is down and house lights are up.

Standing ovations were started by the Romans apparently so not particularly new. Is it something that you have particularly noticed on Cunard?

Vox Populi perhaps.

Yes particularly on Cunard ships.

Could it be an American thing?

David.

I've read a lot on other cruise forums about shows where people leave mid-way through the theatre on cruises (any line). On land you never see this. Is it because people on cruises think that because they have not paid specifically for their seat they think it's okay just to leave when they fancy ?

They only time we're left a performance in a theatre was when we went to see Ken Dodd - and that's because we thought we might pop off of old age before he did !

Why would you continue to sit through something that you aren't enjoying?

Because the other people in the audience are disturbed ( have to stand up, you are blocking their sight when leaving).

Even worse: People come late , take a seat at the opposite of the entrance to make sure that everybody is aware that they have arrived and then leave after 10 minutes with the same drama.....

Edited by Yoshikitty

Because on land it's got to be pretty bad for people to walk out of a theatre, but that does not seem to apply on a cruise.

I think you are probably right. I also think the standard of the 'shows' is generally better on land and I'm less likely to want to leave. Or perhaps I'm just more likely to go to something in the theatre as 'something to do' which I would never do on land.

Because the other people in the audience are disturbed ( have to stand up, you are blocking their sight when leaving).

Even worse: People come late , take a seat at the opposite of the entrance to make sure that everybody is aware that they have arrived and then leave after 10 minutes with the same drama.....

If I went along to a show I was unsure I was going to like, I would deliberately sit near the door/aisle-end to minimise disruption to fellow guests. If I was sitting in the middle of a row, I probably would just sit there until the bitter end.

Why do people think they need to stand up to applaud at the end of a performance in the theatre?

Suddenly two people at the front will jump to their feet followed parrot fashion by most of the rest.

I'm sure this is a new phenomenon but whatever, I wish they would stop it.

David.

David, I am in agreement. It mystified me as well.

Vox Populi perhaps.

Yes particularly on Cunard ships.

Could it be an American thing?

David.

David, I have noticed that productions in schools where the stars are the children, standing ovations are common. Local customs vary I suppose, but I can tell you that where I live (NY), standing ovations after 'professional' theatre productions are fairly rare and are generally well earned, even when occurring at Yankee stadium ;):)

Cheers,

Salacia

Edited by Salacia

Or perhaps I'm just more likely to go to something in the theatre as 'something to do' which I would never do on land.

That could well be true. On land,we would never go to the type of shows they have on a ship, and hence we have never bothered to go to one whilst on a cruise.

David, I have noticed that productions in schools where the stars are the children, standing ovations are common.

This type of thing is becoming common where children are concerned. When children do anything now, no matter how poor it is (say a poor school production), they are lavished with excessive praise which is not deserved. Hence, children now grow up with an over-inflated opinion of their own talents and abilities. They get that over-inflated opinion because society tells them they are talented and can do anything they want, and they sadly believe it.

This type of thing is becoming common where children are concerned. When children do anything now, no matter how poor it is (say a poor school production), they are lavished with excessive praise which is not deserved. Hence, children now grow up with an over-inflated opinion of their own talents and abilities. They get that over-inflated opinion because society tells them they are talented and can do anything they want, and they sadly believe it.
And then they enter the real world of work... and discover that they are fairly mediocre (at best) and are terribly upset when the boss doesn't agree with mummy that they are a wonderful little princess/hero...

To get back on topic, I am also puzzled when people stand to applaud a routine entertainment, whether on land or at sea. There is no need, yet some jump up like a jack-in-the-box at the first opportunity.

I can only suppose they don't get out much.

If the only entertainment they normally watch is on the box in the corner, then I can see that anything performed live in front of their very eyes must seem like a divine revelation to them (and are confused by the lack of advert breaks).

I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of times when I've been part of a standing ovation in my life. These were at truly exceptional performances (theatre or concerts) where the audience were totally captivated and/or moved almost to tears.

Which is fairly unlikely in your average 45-minute cruise-ship after-dinner "show".

:(

Edited by pepperrn

There is no need, yet some jump up like a jack-in-the-box at the first

I think people do it to show off.

It's the same when people start to clap before the end of a song etc. My theory is that they think they are saying to other people : "I know this piece of music, and to prove it, I'm going to start to clap just before it's actually finished in order to show you I know when the end is". It's the same on TV quiz shows now; when they play a piece of music and the contestants starting singing along to it - they are attempting to show off that they know all the words.

And whilst I'm on the subject now, that's why some people gives excessively large tips in restaurants - it's to show off that they can afford it.

Feel free to proffer an answer to the question "Why do people think they need to stand up to applaud at the end of a performance in the theatre?" then.

Well, as our wonderful host Hattie has previously pointed out, it's not a new phenomenon and as for the need to do it I've always understood that it's for the individual to show the performer that they really enjoyed their act.

Carry on.

My theatre/concert going only goes back about 40 years mainly in the North of England, London & more recently Wales.

I have certainly seen and occasionally joined in with several standing ovations in that time. My understanding is that it is a traditional method of showing appreciation for a performance, not always warranted but certainly doesn’t happen at every performance.

I've seen very few on Cunard ships, I think the Beatles tribute act got one on our 3 Queens trip to Liverpool, I didn't join in, I wasn't that overwhelmed.

That could well be true. On land,we would never go to the type of shows they have on a ship, and hence we have never bothered to go to one whilst on a cruise.

We went to a show on the MSC Preziosa that was just BIZZARE!!! It was meant to be an artistic rendition in dance of the movie Avatar but a year on I am still lost for words of how to describe it. Suffice to say it bore little resemblance to the movie!

It received a rapturous standing ovation - I refused to stand out of principle. They had started the show with the title music to the first Star Trek reboot movie! :eek: :eek: :eek: