Carnivals New Port

Jimmy Geegitz

Anyone going to Amber Cove in October?

No way would I go in Oct... first, it may not even be ready, so it may cancel.. second, it would be like going on a new ship or one out of dry dock the first few weeks, where you know there will be many things not completed and not up to par. Over and over again, we see posts from people on the first few cruises on a new ship or one out of dry dock, and they somehow complain about things not being ready. Same thing will happen here at this port, but people will still complain about it, even though if they follow these boards they would no to expect it..

I'm going in January on the 2nd half of a B2B on the Breeze, can't wait!! :D From the pictures I've seen of it, it looks a lot like Grand Turk or Roatan and those are my 2 favourite ports so Amber Cove should be awesome. Is it actually going to open in October? I thought I read somewhere that it wasn't quite finished yet so the opening might be delayed. Really hoping that isn't true!!

Went to the DR many years ago...not a great experience. I have no idea what has changed since then, but I vowed never to go back there again. The taxi drove through the town of Puerto Plata. We had to keep the windows up in the taxi. It was surrounded by natives trying to get their hands in the windows who were trying to grab our belongings. All the roads looked like ground zero and barely impassable (dirt/mud, boulders, rubble, etc). People were very very poor. The taxi driver insisted we do not hand them any money for our safety's sake. This was worse than any island I've ever seen throughout the Carribbean.

The beaches were lined with military personnel with machine guns and other weapons. Not a great site when you are on vacation.

When I learned Carnival was building a port there, I couldn't imagine why they would chose such a place (other than the fact that to bring in $$$ for tourism to that area).

I know Amber Cove will be lovely as it will be a private, built-up area by the cruise line, but not sure what it would be like for the tourists to venture out beyond the gates of the port.

Just a word of caution.

Went to the DR many years ago...not a great experience. I have no idea what has changed since then, but I vowed never to go back there again. The taxi drove through the town of Puerto Plata. We had to keep the windows up in the taxi. It was surrounded by natives trying to get their hands in the windows who were trying to grab our belongings. All the roads looked like ground zero and barely impassable (dirt/mud, boulders, rubble, etc). People were very very poor. The taxi driver insisted we do not hand them any money for our safety's sake. This was worse than any island I've ever seen throughout the Carribbean.

The beaches were lined with military personnel with machine guns and other weapons. Not a great site when you are on vacation.

When I learned Carnival was building a port there, I couldn't imagine why they would chose such a place (other than the fact that to bring in $$$ for tourism to that area).

I know Amber Cove will be lovely as it will be a private, built-up area by the cruise line, but not sure what it would be like for the tourists to venture out beyond the gates of the port.

Just a word of caution.

In the last 4 years I've spent 2 years living there i've haven't seen any thing like what you describe lately