Breakfast options

Vickitoria10

I've been on slimming world and am trying to be good, I know this won't last completely on a cruise but one of my downfalls is a Buffet, especially at breakfast! I don't know when to stop!! What are the options in the main dining room? Does anyone have any menus?

Also we have a 2yr old with us, would he be able to have just a bowl of cereal in the MDR?

We don't really want room service as with a 2yr old we won't have a highchair in the cabin.

We're travelling on Britannia.

Thanks!

Believe me P & O make the best poached eggs ever! I have 2 on a piece of toast every day while on a cruise!

I know then you had your breakfast. :) :)

We always go to the MDR for breakfast will be great for you with a little one. I'm boring and always have the porridge and then some prunes but on a Sunday I have a small portion of the scrambled eggs and poached salmon as well. It's yummy.

It's awhile since we've had our breakfast in main dining room but plan to try it again on our up coming cruise.

Do you order everything at once? Eg would you order toast for after your cooked food?

They bring toast out anyway but if you want wholemeal you should ask when you order.

I know this as on our last cruise they brought wholemeal toast out and thinking it was the toast they normally bring out I went to take a bit and this old boy rapped my hand and said it was his, as he had ordered. I bit my tongue so as not to be rude to him for hurting my hand.

I've been on slimming world and am trying to be good, I know this won't last completely on a cruise but one of my downfalls is a Buffet, especially at breakfast! I don't know when to stop!! What are the options in the main dining room? Does anyone have any menus?

Thanks!

I'm not a big breakfaster anyway, but trying to watch my weight I stick to the fruit, yoghurts and cereals in the buffet, or maybe a plain roll or toast. Might have scrambled or poached egg on toast if we are going on an excursion that doesn't include lunch.

amajaa you would have had no choice but to have a small portion of the scrambled eggs and smoked salmon on our Aurora cruise 3 years ago. Hubby ordered it and he got 1 small round of toasted baguette with a small tablespoonful of scrambled egg on top, and it was definitely a case of hunt the smoked salmon! Very disappointing.

The poached eggs on toast sound lovely! I just know with a buffet I'll be too tempted by everything but if I have to order something I can just order one thing, have that and be done. We aren't going on any excursions so will be nice to have a leisurely breakfast instead and then getting off the ship!

Can anyone go to the MDR for Breakfast, even if Freedom dining?

Yes, the main restaurants are open to anyone for breakfast, lunch and afternoon tea. There may be only one restaurant open depending on demand. Check the Horizon daily paper. Designated dining only applies to the evening.

Brian

Yes anyone can go there for breakfast. All freedom dining means is that you go to dinner at a time of your choice rather than a fixed time, and in a different restaurant that serves the same menu as the fixed time dining.

Can anyone go to the MDR for Breakfast, even if Freedom dining?

Freedom dining is in the MDR. Everyone has a space in the MDR. Freedom dining is not the buffet.

Thank you Brian, are they normally busy? Do you get a pager if they are full?

Never had a problem but they do get busy for breakfast in the last half hour before they close, particularly on a sea day. Have seen an occasional queue just as we are leaving.

Breakfast opening times are normally

0800-0930 sea days

0730-0900 port days.

If you miss those then you have to go to the self service buffet which is open all day.

Brian

We met a couple on our last cruise who didn't realise they could go to the MDR for breakfast because their allocated evening dinning restaurant was not mentioned for breakfast. I think P & O should make a point of telling people that everyone can use the MDR for breakfast and lunch no matter what they are given for their evening meal as apparently it is quite common for people to think they can't use the MDR for breakfast or lunch.

We met a couple on our last cruise who didn't realise they could go to the MDR for breakfast because their allocated evening dinning restaurant was not mentioned for breakfast. I think P & O should make a point of telling people that everyone can use the MDR for breakfast and lunch no matter what they are given for their evening meal as apparently it is quite common for people to think they can't use the MDR for breakfast or lunch.

amajaa,

This is one of my bugbears and I bore myself silly replying to any new cruisers I can find on this site asking about dining arrangements, just so I know they wont miss out :)

Never miss my P&O MDR lunch, in my opinion its the meal they do best :D

Thank you Brian, are they normally busy? Do you get a pager if they are full?

We normally walk straight in for MDR breakfast/lunch and never had to queue, but we dont go in right at the end of service. Normally the restaurants are not too busy in the day as a big chunk of people go to the buffet instead.

As the other posters have said, anyone can go into the MDR for breakfast, lunch and afternoon tea during the *day*, doesn't matter whether they're on club or freedom dining for the *evening*. They dont take your name or cabin number when you turn up, just show you to a table.

If you are on Freedom dining, you might find that the MDR you are allocated for dinner doesn't open for breakfast and lunch. Dont let this confuse you, its just because as the MDRs are quiet during the day they dont need all of them open. Your Horizon newspaper will give you the times of the restaurants that are opening each day, and you just go to whichever you fancy.

Also we have a 2yr old with us, would he be able to have just a bowl of cereal in the MDR?

We don't really want room service as with a 2yr old we won't have a highchair in the cabin.

We're travelling on Britannia.

Thanks!

We were on Azura last month and went to MDR every day with our 2 children (5 and 3) for breakfast. My 3 year old is very fussy, so every day I just ordered him rice crispies and a croissant, while my 5 year old had 2 sausages on white bread to make a sausage sandwich! All the dining staff were great with them. There are lighter breakfast options too like grapefruit (half, or segments) and yogurt and muesli etc. Have a lovely cruise

We were on Azura last month and went to MDR every day with our 2 children (5 and 3) for breakfast. My 3 year old is very fussy, so every day I just ordered him rice crispies and a croissant, while my 5 year old had 2 sausages on white bread to make a sausage sandwich! All the dining staff were great with them. There are lighter breakfast options too like grapefruit (half, or segments) and yogurt and muesli etc. Have a lovely cruise

That's great to know! My son will be quite happy with Rice Krispies! And my husband happy with a sausage sandwich! :)

amajaa,

This is one of my bugbears and I bore myself silly replying to any new cruisers I can find on this site asking about dining arrangements, just so I know they wont miss out :)

Never miss my P&O MDR lunch, in my opinion its the meal they do best :D

Yes me too and on any Facebook pages where people are querying breakfast options. The couple we met said they were enjoying the cruise now they realised they could use the MDR for breakfast and lunch as the first two days they thought they had to (and did) use the buffet. So we make a point of telling people on board now as well. I put about it on my comments sheet at the end of the cruise as well.

I can confirm that the poached eggs are absolutely stunning. I don't normally eat breakfast, but on P&O it has to be the meal of the day. It's no problem just having cereal, or toast, or anything else that you want.

I'm never going to go the buffet again for breakfast. No queuing up, no making your own drink, someone brings a huge pot of tea to you, then toast, all you have to do sit down and wait for everything to arrive. Heaven compared to the buffet!

Only one snag - I didn't like the coffee at all!

I can confirm that the poached eggs are absolutely stunning. I don't normally eat breakfast, but on P&O it has to be the meal of the day. It's no problem just having cereal, or toast, or anything else that you want.

I'm never going to go the buffet again for breakfast. No queuing up, no making your own drink, someone brings a huge pot of tea to you, then toast, all you have to do sit down and wait for everything to arrive. Heaven compared to the buffet!

Only one snag - I didn't like the coffee at all!

Kath, which ship were you on? Im a coffee freak and Ventura was fine but I did NOT like the MDR coffee on Oriana at all - a pity because it was the only think I didnt like about the ship. I ended up having breakfast in the MDR and then sloping off to the buffet to grab a coffee from the self serve.....and usually a pastry too, if I'm honest. :D