Just off Grandeur to bahamas...any questions?

KPookey

Hi. I'm looking at a homebound flight from bwi leaving at 10:10am. Ship arrives at 7am. When I went to book a shuttle with cruise line they said earliest flight I can book is 12:30. They mentioned disembarkation procedures for as the reason for such a late flight. Does anyone know if it'd be reasonable to take the 10:10 flight if I just reserved a cab? Tanks for the help

10:10 would really be too early I would think. You would have to get to the airport by at least 9:00am. If you carry off your luggage you can get off earlier but remember the ship might not get in on time for unknown reasons and nobody gets off until the ship is cleared. Rule of thumb is no flights earlier then a min of 11:00am and some say 12:00.Your call tho

There will be plenty of taxis.

What was the condition of the ship? Did it look worn? Were carpets frayed, furniture broken, plumbing not working? Most people seem to like Grandeur but I've read some really negative posts about its condition.

I'm leaving for the Bahamas on Grandeur on Oct. 24 and I'd like to know what to expect.

Thanks

Edited by cruisernewbieman

I have not been on her since last November....but to be honest the only complaints I have had is that the ice cream machine on the smoking side of the ship on Deck 9 has not been operational the the last 3 cruises ( had to walk over to the non smoking side for an ice cream cone)..and the lack of ash trays has always been a problem in the afternoons......

We Cruse at least twice a year we have only been going out of Baltimore the last 5 years or so because its only an hours drive ..and getting on and off the ship is quite easy ... so we are limited to either The Royal Caribbean or Carnival...I just prefer Royal Caribbean and I find the Grandeur fine...nice size.. (not huge) never had any complaints about the shape of the ship nor with the plumbing..

That said I guess you never know what it will be looking like tomorrow .....

We are booked for Nov 29th...

Bob G

I have not been on her since last November....but to be honest the only complaints I have had is that the ice cream machine on the smoking side of the ship on Deck 9 has not been operational the the last 3 cruises ( had to walk over to the non smoking side for an ice cream cone)..and the lack of ash trays has always been a problem in the afternoons......

I could live with that.:)

Thanks!

I just read this horrible review of the Grandeur, posted yesterday. When I see something this extreme I wonder if there's something peculiar going on with the poster.

There are many people who seem to love the Grandeur. To anyone who's been on her, does this review have any merit at all?

I am a 35 year old woman with 3 kids and a great husband. We were celebrating our 10 year anniversary without kids and had booked this several numbers in advance. We booked the second best suite - the Owners Suite and paid a chunk of change. In short, we were THRILLED as it was something to look forward to. We were VERY disappointed. I will keep the following brief as I don't want to waste anymore of my time thinking about this awful experience.

Old Ship - if you want to see rust, broken pieces of things around the room, HORRIBLE carpet and decor, then this ship is for you. It was built in 2006. You've, it was old and smelly.

Our room - Best suit equaled a 3 day leak from the ceiling right in front of the bathroom. We were actually told that they would not be able to talk compensation with us until the END of the cruise because there a chance the lead could continue the rest of the cruise. So we dealt with this ISSUE for the entire cruise.

Staff - Burnt out.

Food - HORRIBLE. No variety. We have cruised before and this was the worst. Both got VERY sick with stomach bug and ended up having to go to medical.

Entertainment - Sad.

Never ever take a cruise during hurricane season off the Atlantic leaving from the east coast. We left from Baltimore and are still taking medicine because we feel like we are rocking.

Lastly - I love old people. BUT the cruise was 75% people OVER 50. I saw more walkers and wheelchairs in the last several days then I had in the last 7 years. Again, I love old people and one day I might be that old fart on a cruise...but you should know what you are getting into.

We've sailed the Grandeur several times in the past and will again the end of November. Yes, she is on the smaller side and one of the older ships in the fleet, but we've enjoyed each cruise on her.

If you're looking for a ship with lots of bells and whistles, then the Grandeur is not for you. It does still have plenty of activities to keep you busy if that is what you're looking for.

Food is a personal issue. What some might think is not much of a variety , others might truly enjoy.

The staff has always been great.

I just read this horrible review of the Grandeur, posted yesterday. When I see something this extreme I wonder if there's something peculiar going on with the poster.

There are many people who seem to love the Grandeur. To anyone who's been on her, does this review have any merit at all?

Staff - Burnt out, i agree with that. I noticed the same thing, they weren't horrible and they weren't great..

Entertainment - Sad. for me i found the entertainment to be somewhat boring as well, but i think this may tie in with older demographics on a ship. i was cracking up when i saw one of the activities was a spelling bee. not something i would associate with a vacation but there were a lot of people there, haha!

Lastly - I love old people. BUT the cruise was 75% people OVER 50. I saw more walkers and wheelchairs in the last several days then I had in the last 7 years. Again, I love old people and one day I might be that old fart on a cruise...but you should know what you are getting into.

ive done two cruises on the granduer one during school and one out of school and noticed the same, the average age on the ship was probably 55 to 65 in both instances.

im also booked for a cruise on the grandeur the end of November so any negatives ive had hasn't deterred me from going back. but if my first cruise was on a brand new ship and my second cruise was on the granduer i would be disappointed. but knowing its a smaller ship going into it i have lower expecatations.. living in NJ its very easy to get to and i have gotten some really good deals on the Grandeur!

I was on the same Bermuda cruise and enjoyed it. Sure the weather was horrible and people got sick but that is just the chance you take when you cruise in hurricane season. The ship is older without all the glitz of the new floating shopping malls but as far as I am concerned it is well maintained, just the right size and had an excellent friendly helpful crew. To each his own but I have no interest in sailing on the huge new ships I prefer the layout and size of the Vision class ships where you can actually see the ocean from most of the public areas. As far as activities there is something for just about everyone and plenty of great public areas like the Viking lounge and solarium to just relax and enjoy the sea view if you so please but what do I know I am just one of those annoying old farts that seem to bother you so much.

I was on the same Bermuda cruise and enjoyed it. Sure the weather was horrible and people got sick but that is just the chance you take when you cruise in hurricane season. The ship is older without all the glitz of the new floating shopping malls but as far as I am concerned it is well maintained, just the right size and had an excellent friendly helpful crew. To each his own but I have no interest in sailing on the huge new ships I prefer the layout and size of the Vision class ships where you can actually see the ocean from most of the public areas. As far as activities there is something for just about everyone and plenty of great public areas like the Viking lounge and solarium to just relax and enjoy the sea view if you so please but what do I know I am just one of those annoying old farts that seem to bother you so much.

I have to agree...BUT then again I am 71.

We have cruised on large ships and even on ships smaller then The GOS and in all honesty I'll take a Vision Class ship any day.. My wife and I do not care much about the Solarium (indoors) but to each his own...Entertainment is usually "ok" but we get just as much entertainment just watching other people fo their thing ... I'm an early raiser enjoy drinking a cup of coffee waiting for the sun to come up and the windjammer to open for breakfast.. And I am not alone because the early raisers must have a BS club that meets every morning

Bob G

When the wife and I were on it we called it the KANE AND WHEELCHAIR CRUISE. Don't think we will ever do a small ship again.

As the saying goes " size doesn't matter" :p - seriously, the age of the crowd has very little to do with the size of the ship. The embarkation port, the time of the year and most importantly the itinerary are much more important factors to the demographics of a sailing.

When the wife and I were on it we called it the KANE AND WHEELCHAIR CRUISE. Don't think we will ever do a small ship again.

I guess I am going to have to tell my friends on our upcoming back to back, that we will have to cancel the snorkeling, zip line, and parasailing excursions . I forgot that our canes and wheelchairs would get in the way. :D;):eek:

Come on ----really

Edited by starlake

I guess I am going to have to tell my friends on our upcoming back to back, that we will have to cancel the snorkeling, zip line, and parasailing excursions . I forgot that our canes and wheelchairs would get in the way. :D;):eek:

Come on ----really[/quote

FUNNY!!

I really never believe the many rants and raves of someone on here. We have been on 25 cruises and have enjoyed them all. Sure some things are far from perfect, but we do try and have the best time possible. A little rust here and there is normal even on brand new ships. It is in salt water! However, I can understand if things really go badly it would be very irritating. We will be on the Grandeur Nov 1st and am looking forward to her. We have cruised on the Enchantment and the Legend and enjoy the size of the Vision ships. They are older ( by the way she said built in 2006 which is 10 years off!) but they are still sea worthy and beautiful. I guess some people just don't like old things!:cool:

FUNNY!!

I really never believe the many rants and raves of someone on here. We have been on 25 cruises and have enjoyed them all. Sure some things are far from perfect, but we do try and have the best time possible. A little rust here and there is normal even on brand new ships. It is in salt water! However, I can understand if things really go badly it would be very irritating. We will be on the Grandeur Nov 1st and am looking forward to her. We have cruised on the Enchantment and the Legend and enjoy the size of the Vision ships. They are older ( by the way she said built in 2006 which is 10 years off!) but they are still sea worthy and beautiful. I guess some people just don't like old things!:cool:

Thanks, I am glad you got my humor and I agree with all of your statement.

• 2 weeks later...

...and over 50 is now old? I can run circles around her I am sure!! I honestly do not mind an older crowd. I am in my 50's and DH is upper 60's. He has no cane nor a wheelchair. He ziplines, white water rafting, snorkeling...

I never allow the demographics to affect me on a ship. The older the crowd, the more seats around the pool! I find that a silver lining!

Hi. I'm looking at a homebound flight from bwi leaving at 10:10am. Ship arrives at 7am. When I went to book a shuttle with cruise line they said earliest flight I can book is 12:30. They mentioned disembarkation procedures for as the reason for such a late flight. Does anyone know if it'd be reasonable to take the 10:10 flight if I just reserved a cab? Tanks for the help

If you carry your bags off the ship, you should be able to make it but you are cutting it very close. Cabs are available at Pier.