Where to buy quality mozzarella near Naples cruise port?

Doughty3

My daughter, who used to live in Italy, has told me that I must try fresh buffala mozzarella from Naples, as it's the best in the world!

Anyone know of a small shop within walking distance of the cruise port where I can buy some?

I agree that it is delicious, but I don't think you're going to do it justice if you just stand on the street and eat it with your hands. It's sold in baseball-sized balls, normally, and kept in a container with liquid. It doesn't keep well for long, in fact the usual advice is not to buy any on a Monday, since it's not made on Saturday or Sunday. Apparently, you don't want to be eating Friday's leftover mozzarella on a Monday!

In your shoes, I would try it in a local restaurant, maybe as an Insalata Caprese, so the flavour of good oil, tomatoes and basil can complement it.

Disclaimer: I have not been to Naples. I have ex-relatives who live in Naples. I doubt I will go to Naples ;)

I did a little search for you. Came up with some good stuff on Yelp:

http://www.yelp.com/search?cflt=cheese&find_loc=Napoli

Look at those and see if any of them fit the bill as close to the port or close enough to some place you will visit in Naples.

Some of the best comes from Campagnia. Naples is indeed part of Campagnia. Want something even more luscious than fresh moz? Grab a little orb of buratta. It's a moz exterior with an interior of creamy goodness. It's a cow moz, not a bufala, but it is heavenly!!! Another thing: either one - don't eat it straight out of the cooler - let it sit at room temp to get the real flavor.

Happy Hunting!

Edited by slidergirl

Thank you for your helpful replies...I didn't expect any.

I don't think I've thought this one through. We have a busy day of DIY sightseeing as it's our first visit, which unfortunately doesn't leave time for a restaurant meal, so where/how I thought I was going to eat the mozzarella after tracking some down I don't know!

Edited by Doughty3

Thank you for your helpful replies...I didn't expect any.

I don't think I've thought this one through. We have a busy day of DIY sightseeing as it's our first visit, which unfortunately doesn't leave time for a restaurant meal, so where/how I thought I was going to eat the mozzarella after tracking some down I don't know!

Eating around Naples should be part of your sightseeing! You always have time for a pizza (best in the world!) or an insalata caprese - both made with mozzarella di bufala. Check the menu before you go in the restaurant to make sure the dish you want is made with the right mozzarella.