Coral Princess - Panama Canal

JerseyGrown

We will be on the Coral Princess Panama Canal trip starting November 7, 2015. Does anyone have suggestions for private tour companies at the ports? We don't normally like cruise line excursions. Too expensive, too many people. Also any suggestions to make our cruise more enjoyable would be greatly appreciated. This is our first Princess Cruise. We have cruised on Celebrity, Carnival, Royal Caribbean and NCL.

We will be on the Coral Princess Panama Canal trip starting November 7, 2015. Does anyone have suggestions for private tour companies at the ports? We don't normally like cruise line excursions. Too expensive, too many people. Also any suggestions to make our cruise more enjoyable would be greatly appreciated. This is our first Princess Cruise. We have cruised on Celebrity, Carnival, Royal Caribbean and NCL.

Welcome to Cruise Critic! Best to join the roll call for your cruise.

Here is the link.....

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2217113

In Cartagena, best tour I've taken there was with Lee Miles, "Mr. Emerald." In Aruba, I've taken taxi tours several times. Relatively cheap and you can ask them to drop you off at the beach and pick you up later. The flat rate a couple of years ago was $45/hour and we had four in the van for two hours.

I would ask in the various ports of call forums to get best and most current info not limited to Princess cruisers.

That said, we used Lee Miles in Cartagena and the guide he provided us was GREAT.

Our guide in Costa Rica has retired, so no help there.

Partial transit for us so ship only excursions in Panama, did a ship excursion in Aruba due to short stop, never do that again.

We didn't set up Jamaica.

I would ask in the various ports of call forums to get best and most current info not limited to Princess cruisers.

That said, we used Lee Miles in Cartagena and the guide he provided us was GREAT.

Our guide in Costa Rica has retired, so no help there.

Partial transit for us so ship only excursions in Panama, did a ship excursion in Aruba due to short stop, never do that again.

We didn't set up Jamaica.

Can I ask which Aruba tour you took and why you do not recommend? What would you suggest for first timers to Aruba?

Swiper? Sounds as if you have previous knowledge of Dora's tours?

Yes, she's an explorer and my grandchildren have seen every episode. :) I guess you don't have any little kids around.

Dora_and_Boots.jpg

Edited by shredie

Yes, she's an explorer and my grandchildren have seen every episode. :) I guess you don't have any little kids around.

My oldest is turning 41 in November. My grandkids are both having birthdays in the next few weeks and will be 13 and 15. No little ones. My wife ran a home daycare in a past life and I actually worked for her full time for 4.5 years. I have had about enough time with little kids! (The kids we had in daycare are all getting married now and having kids of their own. It's been a while... :))

Edited by Thrak

My oldest is turning 41 in November. My grandkids are both having birthdays in the next few weeks and will be 13 and 15. No little ones. My wife ran a home daycare in a past life and I actually worked for her full time for 4.5 years. I have had about enough time with little kids! (The kids we had in daycare are all getting married now and having kids of their own. It's been a while... :))

Well, now you are informed. :) I can almost guarantee someone will make a Dora the Explorer joke on your tour, and now you will know what a dumb joke it is! ;)

Can I ask which Aruba tour you took and why you do not recommend? What would you suggest for first timers to Aruba?

We took the Antilla shipwreck excursion.

The first stop was at Boca Catalina for reef snorkeling. The reef and the marine life was not as colorful nor as abundant as other sites we have snorkeled. The second stop was at the "Antilla" shipwreck. A remnant of World War II, the "Antilla" was scuttled by its own captain, to prevent it from being captured by the Dutch Marines. The seas were choppy, and you needed to be a strong swimmer at the shipwreck site. The catamaran had 75 to 80 onboard for this excursion, so it was crowded. The crew did not offer any instructions for beginners, and they did not provide a guide in the water as many snorkeling excursions do. I would not recommend this excursion, since there are many better sites in the Caribbean.

Did a transcanal a couple of years ago. I did do a tour with one of Lee's other guides. I was pretty specific as to what I wanted as I had been there several times, lived in Columbia as a kid as my father was a mining superintendent at the Muzo emerald mines...I was looking for a few specific things in a local market place....She could not understand why I didn;t want to buy emeralds...or gold...Finally, she very reluctantly took me to the local market which was not in the tourist area....and I bought what I was looking for....I had discussed that with him at length before the cruise...and had explained that I wasn't a newcomer to the city....however......it took a lot of talking to get on the track that I need to be....I love Cartegena, the history, the culture, and the food.....just be persistent with what you want to do.....

We did the highlights of Aruba with lighthouse and semi-submersible (not sure what its called now).

I more do not recommend it because there were 44 people on the bus and every stop became an extended bathroom break. Here's the lighthouse, now lets all wait for people in the bathroom. Now the rock bridges, and lets wait for bathroom. Now the Casabari rock gardens (did love those) - bathrooms. And now the semi-sub, which was cool, bathrooms, back to ship..

It was more a matter of logistics than content. I would find a private tour provider and be able to spend more time at places that interest you rather than 30 minutes looking at a short lighthouse.

For our September PC cruise we are booked with Dora for a tour in Cartagena. Another person on our roll call booked and asked if others wanted to join - up to 8 in total. We have a private tour for 8 booked.

http://cartagenatour.com

We also toured with Dora and loved it! In Panama we did a private excursion with Ann Gordon (http://www.emberavillagetours.com/) which was amazing. These two were the highlights of our cruise. :)