Chikungunya Mosquito disease spreads to the South Pacfic

mcrcruiser

For all the folks that are going to stay on the ship, how do you keep the mosquito's from coming on the ship?:confused:

Ships are docked or are using tenders . In either event most ports have sea breezes most of the time .Thus ,mosquitos can not fight sea breezes;) . For sure safer on the ship that in a mosit thicket where mosquitos multiply

Going on shore in those islands or ports where there is probability of mosquito bites using Deet spray or cream is highly recommended & can be applied over sun screen ;)

Ships are docked or are using tenders . In either event most ports have sea breezes most of the time .Thus ,mosquitos can not fight sea breezes;) . For sure safer on the ship that in a mosit thicket where mosquitos multiply

Going on shore in those islands or ports where there is probability of mosquito bites using Deet spray or cream is highly recommended & can be applied over sun screen ;)

The DEET ingredient is the important one here. I have traveled throughout Asia, the South Pacific, the Indian sub-continent, and Australia (my home country) and have always used a pump spray DEET based mosquito repellant with success. Common sense is the key, and reapplication at regular intervals!

Go prepared and don't let mozzies wreck your holiday - enjoy!

I have to disagree with the post that the disease is not an issue unless you have a preexisting medical condition. Anyone can get it and if you look at other boards, primarily the Paul Gauguin board, many tourists without any underlying diseases did get the disease.

The good news is that the disease hit French Polynesia about a year ago. It is not new. In order for the disease to continue to spread a mosquito must bite a person with the disease and then the mosquito can spread it to other people. How the first mosquito got the disease is like which came first, the chicken or the egg.

In any event, we were there this past June. Almost all of the locals have had the disease. It hit everyone very hard. Reports from the French Polynesia Health Services identifies that new cases are very low, probably because almost everyone has already gotten the disease.

Mosquitos are almost non existent over the water, as in on the ship and at overwater bungalows at the resorts. You should still bring a good bug spray with DEET. Mosquitos are very common inland. I bring both the spray and the wipes as I find that I always leave the spray can on the ship and then I want it while on land.

I have to disagree with the post that the disease is not an issue unless you have a preexisting medical condition. Anyone can get it and if you look at other boards, primarily the Paul Gauguin board, many tourists without any underlying diseases did get the disease.

The good news is that the disease hit French Polynesia about a year ago. It is not new. In order for the disease to continue to spread a mosquito must bite a person with the disease and then the mosquito can spread it to other people. How the first mosquito got the disease is like which came first, the chicken or the egg.

In any event, we were there this past June. Almost all of the locals have had the disease. It hit everyone very hard. Reports from the French Polynesia Health Services identifies that new cases are very low, probably because almost everyone has already gotten the disease.

Mosquitos are almost non existent over the water, as in on the ship and at overwater bungalows at the resorts. You should still bring a good bug spray with DEET. Mosquitos are very common inland. I bring both the spray and the wipes as I find that I always leave the spray can on the ship and then I want it while on land.

May I please share your full post on the Roll Call forum for this upcoming Tales of the South Pacific cruise on the Amsterdam? Thanks.

Our travel doctor recommended spraying our clothes with Permethrin Spray. Permethrin was developed by the military to protect soldiers from insects. The spray lasts on clothes for 4 to 6 washings and is sold at Wal-Mart.

I came back from a yoga retreat in Costa Rica in November. I took wipes, and lotion repellant and was fine. Was outside almost all the time and at nite at the resort. At the time CDC website said it was spreading there.

I enjoyed myself, and kept the lotion repellant, and wipes on all the time.

Denise:)

PS enjoy your cruise!

May I please share your full post on the Roll Call forum for this upcoming Tales of the South Pacific cruise on the Amsterdam? Thanks.

Feel free to share.

Spraying your clothes with Permethrin is a good idea if you are in an area with a lot of mosquitos. We did this for our two recent safaris in Africa. You can also look at exofficio clothing as they sell some with the repellent already applied. The negative is that if you are that concerned that you are going to treat your clothes you should wear long sleeved shirts, long pants, socks, and tuck your pants into the socks. This was our standard in Tanzania and Kenya. Obviously in French Polynesia you will be wearing shorts and tee shirts so the treated clothes will not help.

I would not obsess about this. On the ship I would not take any precautions as we did not see any mosquitos on the ship (we have done the Paul Gauguin cruise 4 times). For our land stays in overwater bungalows we also were not concerned. During the day around the piers, in town and at the resorts we did not encounter any mosquitos. During the day, inland on Moorea, there are tons of mosquitos. I would use spray/wipes if going inland on any island as well as in the evening on land.

<snip>

<snip>

I take it one is immune to a repeat infection if they have had the disease already?

I remember reading last year that infected mosquitos were on St. Maarten and in San Juan.

[/b]