Getaway room/key cards

DINKinlove

First cruise ever so my question is about our stateroom keys. Are these something we need to have on us all the time? We have the UBP so how does the bartender know this? Do they swipe our cards? Do the cards come with a lanyard or a hole in them so we don't have to carry them?

Of course you need them...or you can't get into your cabin! It's your key! You will need to have them to charge anything you purchase on the ship or private beaches......it is your shipboard ID and key and charge card. You can't get off or on the ship without it!

Hubby puts his in his pocket. I carry a small (very small) purse, as I need my lipstick, comb, tissues, etc.....and my key goes there. At the pool, my very small purse goes into my pool tote!

It's not different than being at a hotel....you carry your room key with you! And, not around your neck!

Edited by cb at sea

First cruise ever so my question is about our stateroom keys. Are these something we need to have on us all the time? We have the UBP so how does the bartender know this? Do they swipe our cards? Do the cards come with a lanyard or a hole in them so we don't have to carry them?

You'll have a great time on the Getaway, I had my first cruise on it as well!

The cards don't come with a lanyard, but I would recommend bringing one. Guest services will punch a hole into your card for you so you can wear it around your neck. I found that to be the best solution.

As for the UBP ... when you get your guest card at check-in, it will have a UBP sticker on it. Every time you order a drink, you hand over your card to the barkeeper, he'll swipe it and see from the sticker + the digital info that you are on the UBP. You will sign a slip for the drink, but you are not billed for it. The UBP is a lot of fun, try different drinks!

Edited by 23words

You will always need it. It's ID, room key and ship credit card rolled into one.

When I plan my packing, I try to only bring slacks or skirts with pockets, even my evening elegant pants,if that is what I'm wearing. So I don't have to worry about lanyard or little purse or fanny pack. When I go to the pool or hot tub I bring a beach bag or carefully wrap my card in my towel.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Forums mobile app

As for the UBP ... when you get your guest card at check-in, it will have a UBP sticker on it.

Not always. Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't. On our Getaway cruise (only time we have had UDP and UBP) we had UDP stickers already on the cards but we had to get UBP stickers from a bar.

Also somebody here recently said that instead of earlier sticker, "UBP" was printed directly on their card (like for example Celebrity has done for a long time) - in that case it should be there from the start.

Edited by Demonyte

The cards don't come with a lanyard, but I would recommend bringing one. Guest services will punch a hole into your card for you so you can wear it around your neck. I found that to be the best solution.

As for the UBP ... when you get your guest card at check-in, it will have a UBP sticker on it. Every time you order a drink, you hand over your card to the barkeeper, he'll swipe it and see from the sticker + the digital info that you are on the UBP. You will sign a slip for the drink, but you are not billed for it. The UBP is a lot of fun, try different drinks!

Thank you for your very helpful response. This was exactly the info I was looking for. I was really wondering about the lanyard thing mostly since I understand that this a key card and of course will need it to get in my room but Alot of times my husband just puts a key in his pocket since we're usually together (and I hate carrying a purse)but not sure if this is my ID as well so we would both need a card always. And I definitely will try as many different drinks as I can handle!😁

• 1 month later...

If you put it on a lanyard, be careful when you go into the pool. Last Time I did that on the Epic all of the ink on the card washed off, had to go to guest services and have it replaced.

Thank you for your very helpful response. This was exactly the info I was looking for. I was really wondering about the lanyard thing mostly since I understand that this a key card and of course will need it to get in my room but Alot of times my husband just puts a key in his pocket since we're usually together (and I hate carrying a purse)but not sure if this is my ID as well so we would both need a card always. And I definitely will try as many different drinks as I can handle!😁

I just carry it in a pocket, usually one with Velcro closer. The good news, as mentioned, the front desk can replace it if lost. But yes, you do use it frequently, to enter room, enter and exit ship, make any purchase, show at dining room, and the list goes on.

If you put it on a lanyard, be careful when you go into the pool. Last Time I did that on the Epic all of the ink on the card washed off, had to go to guest services and have it replaced.

Many sun screens have that effect too. Our friends use a brand that forces them to renew their cards couple of times each week while cruising.

Edited by Demonyte

So,,, on the Getaway, individuals need to have your own key card for certain activities. For example, entering the main theater to see Legally Blond or Burn the Floor, and entering the comedy club. The usher can look up your room number, but there will be a line of impatient people behind you waiting to get in. And for getting drinks with your UBP (if you have one).

Just FYI..got off the cruise Oct 3 and we all decided to wear our room keys on lanyards which worked out perfectly for us..quick disconnects on them helped with showing our card which we needed since we had the UBP and definitely used it!