Whale Watch in early September if it rains heavily

popomama

HI,

I will take Alaska 7-day cruise at the end of this month via Princess, and will get Juneau first week of September. I just checked the weather forecast, and it looks like we will have pretty good chance to get steady rain at that time. I heard if it's rainy and windy, it will reduce the chance to see the whale. I am hesitating to book the whale watch tour at this moment. In stead, I am thinking to book it the day we get there, or at least as time draws on.

Can anyone provide your experience or suggestion ?

Thanks a lot.

Nobody can, with any reliability, predict the weather 2 or 3 weeks from now. That being said, it will generally be cooler, and can be wetter in September. That is why September is cheaper for Alaska cruises.

The locals know this, and will maximize whatever opportunities there are to see whales. But, yes, if the weather is uncooperative - Mother Nature always has the final say, there is little you can do about it.

Like all weather forecasts they change by the hour, day, week etc.

So at this point in time I would not be paying a lot of attention to the forecast.

As mentioned, this can be a very wet time of the year so the chances are good that you will have some to a lot of rain during your visit.

The tour will run rain or shine. If rain is a concern consider doing something else in Juneau as there are still a lot of options for you.

Keith

HI,

I will take Alaska 7-day cruise at the end of this month via Princess, and will get Juneau first week of September. I just checked the weather forecast, and it looks like we will have pretty good chance to get steady rain at that time. I heard if it's rainy and windy, it will reduce the chance to see the whale. I am hesitating to book the whale watch tour at this moment. In stead, I am thinking to book it the day we get there, or at least as time draws on.

Can anyone provide your experience or suggestion ?

Thanks a lot.

Do the whales care if it's raining ? We had a rainy day but there were plenty of them. But obviously I hope you have better weather weather than we did. All the best, Tony

[YOUTUBE]KV1XSxkNCl4[/YOUTUBE]

Do the whales care if it's raining ? We had a rainy day but there were plenty of them. But obviously I hope you have better weather weather than we did. All the best, Tony

[YOUTUBE]KV1XSxkNCl4[/YOUTUBE]

Great video with excellent photography!

I always post- it's a waste of time to look at any Alaska weather predictions. You are lucky if you get accuracy the same day. :) Whale watching is available, no matter what the weather is, and it depends on YOU, what you are expecting. IF weather is going to be your priority, then you are going to be very limited with your tour selections. Decide if that is what you want out of your Alaska visit?

No one can help you predict the weather but we have always had good luck seeing whales in Alaska, no matter what time of year and we also had THE BEST whale watching time in Hawaii when it was overcast and stormy...the whales DID seem happier with cooler weather so maybe you will get super whale watching weather. Enjoy your vacation, whatever the weather is :-)