Would you rather- 2 excursions

mumtopugs

If you had a choice, would you rather do a) whale watching tour and Menenhall Glacier ($179) or b) Tracy Arm fjord and glacier exploration ($189)... decsriptions below:

a)

Stop at the recently renovated Glacier Center to visit with Forest Service interpreters.

Stroll the glacier-view path or take a short walk to watch salmon spawning in a nearby stream.

Take a scenic drive through the Mendenhall Valley, past Auke Lake to board a water jet-powered catamaran specially designed for wildlife viewing.

Relax in the warm, comfortable, spacious main cabin, surrounded by large windows as your captain guides you through Stephen's Passage.

Listen as the on board naturalist explains the behavior and habitat of wildlife you may encounter.

Look for humpback and killer whales, sea lions, porpoises, harbor seals, bald eagles, and Sitka black-tailed deer.

b)

On this exclusive seasonal excursion you will:

• Board a deluxe, waterjet-powered catamaran that has pulls alongside the Carnival Legend in the waters of Tracy Arm.
  • Discover many wonders around each bend of this serpentine, 30-mile fjord.
  • Listen to the onboard Naturalist who will inform you about the area.
  • Trace the bases of cliffs that rise 4000-feet above the jade-colored sea.
  • Enjoy an up close view of Sawyer Glacier, with frequent stops to view wildlife.
  • Hear the “white thunder” as immense spires of ice break from the Sawyer Glaciers and crash into the sea.

They are BOTH excellent choices- IF you have the interest- why aren't you considering both? Either one- if it comes down to "one", you are missing the other. I have done both numerous times. Equally- superb choices. If you get the posters chiming in- take this one- it's a must- is that going to make a difference to you? It makes no difference what I choose, frankly.

I will post some facts. With Carnival's Tracy Arm add on tour, you do NOT get the distance where you are in the whale areas. You remain strictly in the fjord. The cruise ship usually only gets to Sawyer Island, only a partial, distant view of the South Sawyer. Would this be OK for you?

Do you want to see whales? Even though there is going to be sightings from a cruise ship- it does require a lot of effort, and knowledge for best success.

If you had a choice, would you rather do a) whale watching tour and Menenhall Glacier ($179) or b) Tracy Arm fjord and glacier exploration ($189)... decsriptions below:

a)

Stop at the recently renovated Glacier Center to visit with Forest Service interpreters.

Stroll the glacier-view path or take a short walk to watch salmon spawning in a nearby stream.

Take a scenic drive through the Mendenhall Valley, past Auke Lake to board a water jet-powered catamaran specially designed for wildlife viewing.....

I would be wary from this description because it looks like this tour spends very brief time at Mendenhall Glacier before heading out to Auke Lake for whale watching.

There is no mention of sufficient time to hike out to the waterfall and to visit the visitor center.

If you are considering this one, I would suggest contacting the vendor to get a more complete description and find out how much time you would actually have at Mendenhall.

In case you missed it, there was recently another thread here discussing whether to choose a Mendenhall or Tracy Arm excursion

Having Second Thoughts - Opinions PLEASE

Not likely with Carnival, they do not sail, Stephen's Passage, their trips are only from the entrance of Tracy Arm to the glaciers, one way.

Thanks for the clarification as I am used to the RT out of Juneau. I still would go with Tracy Arm.

a)

Take a scenic drive through the Mendenhall Valley, past Auke Lake to board a water jet-powered catamaran specially designed for wildlife viewing.

Relax in the warm, comfortable, spacious main cabin, surrounded by large windows as your captain guides you through Stephen's Passage.

Listen as the on board naturalist explains the behavior and habitat of wildlife you may encounter.

Look for humpback and killer whales, sea lions, porpoises, harbor seals, bald eagles, and Sitka black-tailed deer.

b)

On this exclusive seasonal excursion you will:

• Board a deluxe, waterjet-powered catamaran that has pulls alongside the Carnival Legend in the waters of Tracy Arm.
  • Discover many wonders around each bend of this serpentine, 30-mile fjord.
  • Listen to the onboard Naturalist who will inform you about the area.
  • Trace the bases of cliffs that rise 4000-feet above the jade-colored sea.
  • Enjoy an up close view of Sawyer Glacier, with frequent stops to view wildlife.
  • Hear the “white thunder” as immense spires of ice break from the Sawyer Glaciers and crash into the sea.

I had this same question a couple of days ago. After much deliberation, I emailed Carnival asking that I cancel my Whale Watching and Mendenhall Glacier Photo Safari tour and book the Tracy Arm Excursion. CAN NOT DO TRACY ARM EXCURSIONS IF YOUR ITINERARY INCLUDES GLACIER BAY. This would be the case for the Sept. 1 and Sept 8 LEGEND cruises. It is listed as an excursion on their shore excursion website and doesn't make clear it is an excursion only available when the itinerary has a day devoted to Tracy Arm.

Edited by HLGW60

I would be wary from this description because it looks like this tour spends very brief time at Mendenhall Glacier before heading out to Auke Lake for whale watching.

There is no mention of sufficient time to hike out to the waterfall and to visit the visitor center.

[/url]

Auke Bay

I had this same question a couple of days ago. After much deliberation, I emailed Carnival asking that I cancel my Whale Watching and Mendenhall Glacier Photo Safari tour and book the Tracy Arm Excursion. CAN NOT DO TRACY ARM EXCURSIONS IF YOUR ITINERARY INCLUDES GLACIER BAY. This would be the case for the Sept. 1 and Sept 8 LEGEND cruises. It is listed as an excursion on their shore excursion website and doesn't make clear it is an excursion only available when the itinerary has a day devoted to Tracy Arm.

So the OP doesn't have Tracy Arm on their itinerary? Must not have known they can't so this tour, or knew the details of touring Tracy Arm?

Easy decision made then. :)

Edited by Budget Queen

So the OP doesn't have Tracy Arm on their itinerary? Must not have known they can't so this tour, or knew the details of touring Tracy Arm?

Easy decision made then. :)

i think she is on the September 1 Legend cruise but not 100% sure. If her cruise begins on August 23 or August 30 then the Legend does have a day at Tracy Arm. The September 1 and 8 cruises go to Glacier Bay and begin in Seattle and end in Vancouver. The September 1 cruise has a day in Victoria and the September 8 cruise has another Sea Day before arriving in Vancouver.

The Carnival website really should mention that the special excursion by smaller boat is only available on cruises with a day in Tracy Arm. It confused me as well until the Carnival rep clarified it via email.