How formal is formal?

Sandypaws21

AKA: "Wear your best T-shirt" night. :p

Such a broad brush you sweep. Wondering if you've ever cruised on NCL.

I've seen some dressed on NCL for Dress Up or Not Night every bit as good as those on Celebrity. And then there was that young lady I met on Celebrity who wore sneakers, jeans and a DIRTY white cardigan most every night for dinner.

Such a broad brush you sweep. Wondering if you've ever cruised on NCL.

I've seen some dressed on NCL for Dress Up or Not Night every bit as good as those on Celebrity. And then there was that young lady I met on Celebrity who wore sneakers, jeans and a DIRTY white cardigan most every night for dinner.

I hate to disappoint your "narrow brush" assumptions, but I must regretfully reveal that I have indeed cruised on NCL. Not my proudest moment, I have to admit. Came away convinced that there are certain things in life not worth paying for. And yes, T-shirts in the MDR were very common. I almost started believing that they were the dress code on NCL. What I saw was no different than what I might see at my local Denny's - some dressed up, but most dressed down.

You trot out that predictable example of "every bit as good as those on Celebrity" and the equally predictable "on Celebrity who wore sneakers, jeans and a DIRTY white cardigan most every night for dinner" as a failed attempt to raise NCL to a higher bar than Celebrity. Yes, I am sure you saw exactly what you describe. It can, and does, happen on both lines. However, where your simplistic argument fails miserably is that the dress style of that young lady you saw is quite common on NCL, while the "every bit as good as Celebrity" is the norm, not the exception, on Celebrity.

Anyone can cherry pick one isolated example and try to pass it off as being the common denominator. But, as Daniel Patrick Moynihan once said: “Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”

I'll be kind and give you a pass on your attempt to distract us from reality. ;)

And, I say all of this with tongue planted firmly in cheek - even though it is more fact than fiction. :)

Edited by sloopsailor

I hate to disappoint you "narrow brush" assumptions, but I must regretfully reveal that I have indeed cruised on NCL. Not my proudest moment, I have to admit. Came away convinced that there are certain things in life not worth paying for. And yes, T-shirts in the MDR were very common. I almost started believing that they were the dress code on NCL. What I saw was no different than what I might see at my local Denny's - some dressed up, but most dressed down.

You trot out that predictable example of "every bit as good as those on Celebrity" and the equally predictable "on Celebrity who wore sneakers, jeans and a DIRTY white cardigan most every night for dinner" as a failed attempt to raise NCL to a higher bar than Celebrity.

Hardly.

Just so you know, Celebrity is our favorite line and NCL the least favorite of all the lines we've sailed........so there!:p

Yes, I am sure you saw exactly what you describe. It can, and does, happen on both lines. However, where your simplistic argument fails miserably is that the dress style of that young lady you saw is quite common on NCL, while the "every bit as good as Celebrity" is the norm, not the exception, on Celebrity.

I agree that, generally, those on Celebrity were dressed better but by no means was it the norm that everyone on NCL was dressed as the young lady I mentioned. If, as you say, you found there are some things not worth paying for, you must have gone only on one NCL cruise and if you went on more, well, that was your mistake.:D

Anyone can cherry pick one isolated example and try to pass it off as being a common denominator. But, as Daniel Patrick Moynihan once said: “Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”

Men were asked to remove their baseball caps in the MDR and I could go on so it's not one isolated incident but there's no point.

I'll be kind and give you a pass on your attempt to distract us from reality. ;)

Well, I'm eternally grateful.

For the record, I never bad mouth or say anything disparaging about another line like your "AKA, Wear Your Best Tee Shirt Night".

BTW, just a bit of trivia, that quote is attributed to Senator Moynihan during a debate in 1994. However, he was beat out by James Schlesinger who has the same quote attributed to him in 1973. Both Moynihan and Schlesinger were in turn beat out by Bernard Baruch with the same quote in 1950.;):)

Edited by iheartbda

If, as you say, you found there are some things not worth paying for, you must have gone only on one NCL cruise and if you went on more, well, that was your mistake.

One NCL cruise was enough. I consider not wasting money on a product I did not like to be an effective antidote to making another "mistake". ;)

The phrase "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me" is definitely a driving force on why I have not spent more of my precious vacation funds on a product I found unsatisfying.

For the record, I never bad mouth or say anything disparaging about another line like your "AKA, Wear Your Best Tee Shirt Night".[/Quote]

Again, said tongue in cheek. The ":p" emoticon was placed there to show I was having a bit of fun at the expense of one of my least favorite cruise lines. (FYI: Carnival is the other). :)

BTW, just a bit of trivia, that quote is attributed to Senator Moynihan during a debate in 1994. However, he was beat out by James Schlesinger who has the same quote attributed to him in 1973. Both Moynihan and Schlesinger were in turn beat out by Bernard Baruch with the same quote in 1950.;):)

It nice to see that I am in good company! :D

Edited by sloopsailor

The OP will be traveling on Rhapsody of the Seas.

Since this has been clarified, you can leave the jacket at home. Royal has a growing legion of men that wear a Tommy Bahama type shirt and khakis or slacks to dinner on dress up nights. I wear a polo and khakis or jeans on the other nights. Smart Casual is dead, has been for a decade.

Edited by BallFour4

I think it depends very much on the passengers on the particular cruise. I'm saying this as we usually cruise with Celebrity and it is that bit more formal. In June this year we sailed for the first time on Norwegian Epic and were expecting it to be a lot less dressy as there are no formal nights and we were really pleasantly surprised to see how many people really dressed up for dinner. I see from earlier posts this wasn't the case for them with NCL but we had an excellent cruise from start to finish.

The buffet is ALWAYS casual. He might feel more comfortable there.

Don't let anyone sway your decision on going to the dining room. Posters on Cruise Critic have dropped "there is always the buffet" since I joined in 2002.

Wear your casual polo or Tommy Bahama shirt with khakis, go eat the lobster, go mingle with table mates, go enjoy your wait staff that's working hard to make your cruise memorable.

I'd rather dine with fellow passengers in the main dining room dressed in feathers than sit with someone concerned that anyone might not have a jacket on.

Edited by BallFour4

Don't let anyone sway your decision on going to the dining room. Posters on Cruise Critic have dropped "there is always the buffet" since I joined in 2002.

Wear your casual polo or Tommy Bahama shirt with khakis, go eat the lobster, go mingle with table mates, go enjoy your wait staff that's working hard to make your cruise memorable.

I'd rather dine with fellow passengers in the main dining room dressed in feathers than sit with someone concerned that anyone might not have a jacket on.

It's not about being concerned with what other people wear. It is about the lack of respect for your fellow diners who follow the guidelines. Since when is ignoring the rules a better behavior than knowing what the guidelines are before booking and then graciously following them like a good sport would do. Not everything in life is worthy of rebellion. Society benefits when people respect each other, not the other way around.

I would rather dine with people who respect each other than sit with someone who thinks himself more important than everyone else.

Edited by sloopsailor

I don't think you've ever been on NCL.

So, you know my past cruising history better than I do?????????

Try reading all the posts before posting foolish assumptions. Specifically, read posts #28 and 30. :rolleyes:

Edited by sloopsailor

It is about the lack of respect for your fellow diners who follow the guidelines.

Never mind respect. How about simple good manners? Any guide to polite behaviour or etiquette will tell you it's none of your business to tell other people how to dress, or even to notice it. Truly respectful people at the dinner table (or in the dining room) take it as their only business to make everyone feel welcome and appreciated. Anything else is rudeness.

I would rather dine with people who respect each other than sit with someone who thinks himself more important than everyone else.

I would rather dine with people who are interesting, interested in each other, and happy to share a pleasant meal together.

To the OP, on RCI, no matter which night, long pants, and a long-sleeved shirt with a collar are fine for the dining room. Leave the tie and the jacket at home. Everybody now understands that the airlines have made it impossible to bring all that fancy stuff and still have enough underwear and socks for your trip. So it goes.

As for telling someone to go eat in the buffet or order room service, keep your tiresome orders to yourself. If the sight of someone with no tie or jacket offends you, well you go and eat somewhere else, in your own solitary splendor.

Never mind respect. How about simple good manners? Any guide to polite behaviour or etiquette will tell you it's none of your business to tell other people how to dress, or even to notice it. Truly respectful people at the dinner table (or in the dining room) take it as their only business to make everyone feel welcome and appreciated. Anything else is rudeness.

I do agree that it is also about manners. But manners, as you seem to think them to be, aren't about keeping our mouths shut while you do whatever you want in spite of the guidelines or established norms. Manners are the act of following those guidelines and norms and not offending or disturbing others. In other words, being polite and respectful.

Taking the "it's my vacation and I'll do whatever I want" is not in any way associated with having good manners.

As for telling someone to go eat in the buffet or order room service, keep your tiresome orders to yourself. If the sight of someone with no tie or jacket offends you, well you go and eat somewhere else, in your own solitary splendor.

Seeing some boorish person thinking themselves above the behavior that has been requested is not offensive to me. Instead, I only pity them for being on the lower end of the social scale. I will not attempt to say anything to them - they have already proven that they couldn't care less about proper behavior, so nothing I could ever say will make it's way though their thick, neanderthal skulls.

Apologies if this question has been asked many times before, but my DH is wondering how formal he will have to dress for the 2 nights of our cruise? He has to wear a suit professionally and really doesn't want the bother of taking a suit on holiday.

Would he be ok with a smart pair of trousers and an open-necked shirt, or should be make plans to go to the buffet restaurant on those two nights instead?

Also, we were considering trying out the specialty restaurants a couple of nights, would chino style trousers and shirt be ok for there too?

Hey Sandy! Find out when the two formal nights are and schedule a specialty restaurant for those nights. The dress code suggestion for the specialty restaurants is dressy casual - so the nice slacks and collared shirt (short or long sleeves) will be just fine.

Having sailed on RCCL, I don't think your husband will be the single exception if he wears "smart casual" on an evening that is suggested formal. Seems more and more people are opting for this and honestly I think the day is not all that far off when even suggested formal evenings will only be "if you choose".