NCL Getaway 8/22/2015 & Hurricane

Heronymous

Well, we live right in the hurricane alley and have survived several direct hit hurricanes over 3 decades that we have lived here. When the hurricanes hovered over the island it took between 15 to 22 hours (from the initial high winds to the last) and we had to stay indoors, not being able to go outside (or get hurt/killed). Power usually went out and that meant no a/c or running water!

As for cruise redirecting when there is a hurricane or tropical storm in the original itinerary ... it happened to us once.

We booked a back to back Western and Eastern Caribbean on the Epic back in Aug/Sept 2010 (Epic's first year). The first week to the Western went very well, however, we saw on the CNN that Hurricane Earl was forming and was hitting East Caribbean at the same time we were due to go there. We had the mmm and concerned looks on our faces when we reached Miami and prepared to get off ship for Imm/Custom checks (before getting back on). As we exited the ship we were handed a letter (flyer) saying there was an itinerary change and we were going back to Western Caribbean ... we gave each other high fives and said Good!

We had another great week with glorious weather and seas. We would rather be re-directed else where than live with rough seas and RAIN.

If anyone get upset with their ship being re-directed away from the ports they wanted to visit, they'd better not be upset as WE KNOW IT"S NO FUN BEING ON SHIP IN CHOPPY SEAS WITH HIGH WINDS AND RAIN.

One of the ports on that missed Eastern Caribbean itinerary was St. Maarten that we had never been to before - yeah we were upset at not being able to go there BUT we preferred to be safe and enjoying cruise in nicer weather.

I'm on the getaway right now. Our waiter tonight said the rumor among staff is a change of itinerary for next week. I would NOT worry, the crew has been fantastic! Unlike island vacations, they can just move your "resort" out of the way.

That's great news.. I would love an itinerary change! I only chose this cruise because it was the only one available on NCL for the week the entire family was free, and I already did 2/3 of this itinerary.. I was just concerned that there wouldn't be any other ports available to detour to that weren't in the path of the storm.. but I guess that's not an issue.

A few years ago sailing out of NYC to Bermuda, we did not know even when we boarded where we were going. Not only had one storm gone off towards Nova Scotia but another was forming in the Caribbean.

We did make the run to Bermuda but the first night and day, we had service staff to ourselves in many venues. The first night show was cancelled and dinner was like a mini supper club of people.

We saw it as an adventure and just rolled with it. We had to share port and dock space with other ships getting under cover.

Good Luck!

Lynda

Our daughter was working on the Carnival Pride out of Baltimore when Sandy came calling. They were on the Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay, Freeport run that week. They didn't make a single port the week before she hit, then were in an all out run trying to get back to Baltimore before she hit. She had been on the ship for almost four months by then and, fortunately, very much had her sea legs. However, the seas were ridiculous that week. They stayed just ahead of the storm but never got out of the rough seas (20-40 ft seas, yes, you read that correctly, 40 ft seas!). The ship ran out of motion sickness meds, ginger ale, green apples, anything and everything that could help. They made it back on Saturday night (it was a Sunday-Sunday cruise), disembarked the passengers, and cancelled the next week because the Coast Guard closed the entrance to the Chesapeake before they could get out. The ship and staff rode out the storm in a protected inlet in the bay. And had a BLAST! Best four days of her entire contract (July-Jan) and the longest four days of my life by far. Fortunately we were able to keep in touch by cell and were lucky the next weekend when Carnival scheduled a three day cruise to nowhere. The DH and I drove all night from Atlanta to Baltimore and surprised her. I think I cried more tears that one week than I have her entire 21 years before that.

Edited by tarps14

Surprising NCL's website says nothing about a weather statement. At least a: Due to the safety of our guests, crew and 900M ship we are currently monitoring the status of Hurricane Danny and will post an update on any changes that might need to be made. Well not the last part lol [emoji57]

Surprising NCL's website says nothing about a weather statement. At least a: Due to the safety of our guests, crew and 900M ship we are currently monitoring the status of Hurricane Danny and will post an update on any changes that might need to be made. Well not the last part lol [emoji57]

I thought that's a given. I'm not sure why they would need to update their web. They are always monitoring weather.

Our daughter was working on the Carnival Pride out of Baltimore when Sandy came calling. They were on the Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay, Freeport run that week. They didn't make a single port the week before she hit, then were in an all out run trying to get back to Baltimore before she hit. She had been on the ship for almost four months by then and, fortunately, very much had her sea legs. However, the seas were ridiculous that week. They stayed just ahead of the storm but never got out of the rough seas (20-40 ft seas, yes, you read that correctly, 40 ft seas!). The ship ran out of motion sickness meds, ginger ale, green apples, anything and everything that could help. They made it back on Saturday night (it was a Sunday-Sunday cruise), disembarked the passengers, and cancelled the next week because the Coast Guard closed the entrance to the Chesapeake before they could get out. The ship and staff rode out the storm in a protected inlet in the bay. And had a BLAST! Best four days of her entire contract (July-Jan) and the longest four days of my life by far. Fortunately we were able to keep in touch by cell and were lucky the next weekend when Carnival scheduled a three day cruise to nowhere. The DH and I drove all night from Atlanta to Baltimore and surprised her. I think I cried more tears that one week than I have her entire 21 years before that.

LOVE this story! I imagine that all night drive was totally worth it to see her after all of that!:)