Aug. 18 Update: More Europe River Cruises Canceled, Altered Due to Low Water Levels

Host Jazzbeau

Viking is saying (I believe) that every Elbe cruise in Aug will be a bus tour [emoji33]

No, they canceled all the cruises on their smaller ships. There are a couple of posts in other threads with the Viking explanation that those ships are marketed in the UK and those passengers surveyed preferred that they cancel. The larger ships, where you are seeing the itinerary changes, are marketed in the US and Viking says that those passengers surveyed preferred to adapt.

Edited by Host Jazzbeau

Viking is saying (I believe) that every Elbe cruise in Aug will be a bus tour [emoji33]

That´s true and also quoted in the new linked above:

"The ships are not expected to sail but all included excursions will operate by motorcoach from the ships."

Viking Schumann and Viking Fontane cruises have been cancelled. Viking Astrild and Viking Belya cruises haven´t been cancelled but passengers do use the ships as floating hotels in Dresden and Wittenberg (and change midway throughout the "cruise"). All excursions are taking place - but it´s a bus trip.

But the situation may change soon... The region had lots of rain over the last few days. Check the river gauge of Dresden (here). The absolute low was 49 cm on August 13th. By the time I´m writing this it´s up to 161 cm (8:30 am local time).

steamboats

We're booked to go on the Swiss ruby with Riviera in early September, fingers and toes all crossed that river levels rise enough by then. Has anyone else booked the Elbe with Riviera? Interested to know whether they cancelled previous ones or whether they resorted to bussing folk around. We certainly didn't book a river cruise just to have a bus tour so I'm hoping they either cancel with full refund or sail,