What to do in Cozumel for the day?

Kiwi_cruiser

We have been twice, and although there are experts here, i will tell you what we did and how it worked out.

First time we scheduled a trip to Chakanaab (yeah, not a speller) which has dolphins and manatee, which we booked privatly on the web, since it was half the price of the cruise ship. Had mixed results with the dolphins since it was turned into a photo shoot and then of course the sales pitch to purchase the pics. They have a wonderful beach area, without an actual beach, they have steps going into the water, but it was good novice snorkeling. and a few other things to do. THey have a floating dock, fake mayan temple, crocs, and a resturant. Its a state park or something so it have everything you need.

2nd time we got off the boat, and the first person we met talked us into going to a resort, buckanos, which we loved. we went in a stretch Cadilac and as we got there early in the day, we had it to ourselves for a while. Very small beach and small rocky entrance into the water, but a great snorkeling area. There is actually a current going down the beach so you jump in after a short walk and float down to the beach area. but not really a place you can swim because of the current there. But we are going back in Dec, simply because we found it beautiful and relaxing and i liked the snorkeling. Plus the resturant is great. It did get crowded as the day wore on.

That is all we have done so are. Good luck

Edited by Jgarriso

We have never been to Cozumel before and I was wondering what is their to do there?, any tips/ideas??

What do you do when you go there?? :)

Any tips/advise/ideas are very welcome

What do you want to do? :confused: Coz is an island, so most of the activities revolve around the water and the beaches.

Snorkel tours or snorkeling from the shore? :confused:

Lots of beach clubs lined up next to each other along the same side of the island - so not much difference in sand or water quality. The difference is primarily size, amenities (pools, water toys, etc.) and business model - pay-as-you-go or all-inclusive.

Taxis are well regulated in Coz and the fares to most of the popular tourist spots will be posted on a board next to the taxi line for your pier (there are 3 cruise ship piers on Coz - remember which one is your!). Typical fares start at under $10 and cover up to 4 passengers in the cab.

No need to change over to pesos - the US dollar is accepted everywhere, just bring lots of smaller bills because cab drivers all over the world never seem to have change when you pull out a $20

We have been twice, and although there are experts here, i will tell you what we did and how it worked out.

First time we scheduled a trip to Chakanaab (yeah, not a speller) which has dolphins and manatee, which we booked privatly on the web, since it was half the price of the cruise ship. Had mixed results with the dolphins since it was turned into a photo shoot and then of course the sales pitch to purchase the pics. They have a wonderful beach area, without an actual beach, they have steps going into the water, but it was good novice snorkeling. and a few other things to do. THey have a floating dock, fake mayan temple, crocs, and a resturant. Its a state park or something so it have everything you need.

2nd time we got off the boat, and the first person we met talked us into going to a resort, buckanos, which we loved. we went in a stretch Cadilac and as we got there early in the day, we had it to ourselves for a while. Very small beach and small rocky entrance into the water, but a great snorkeling area. There is actually a current going down the beach so you jump in after a short walk and float down to the beach area. but not really a place you can swim because of the current there. But we are going back in Dec, simply because we found it beautiful and relaxing and i liked the snorkeling. Plus the resturant is great. It did get crowded as the day wore on.

That is all we have done so are. Good luck

Just in case the OP wanted to check it out or Google- the beach bar is Buccanos!

http://www.buccanos.com

We agree that it can be a very nice place and restaurant.

Just depends what the OP is looking for- age groups, activities, budget would help with suggestions.

This will be our first time going too. We are not beach/water people, and are interested in sightseeing type tours and shopping. We usually do not book cruise tours, but I always get afraid of missing the ship, if we travel far away. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks in advance.

Safe sailing

This will be our first time going too. We are not beach/water people, and are interested in sightseeing type tours and shopping. We usually do not book cruise tours, but I always get afraid of missing the ship, if we travel far away. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks in advance.

Safe sailing

I would suggest looking at the ToursPlaza website and reading the last few pages of the long running thread on here "hiring a driver for the day" for suggestions of things to do.

We have used ToursPlaza several times and have always had good service and excellent communications.

We have never been to Cozumel before and I was wondering what is their to do there?, any tips/ideas??

We went to Nachi Cocom for the day. They only allow 100 people per day so it does not get very crowded, and there are no aqua toys so there are few kids. If you have kids in your party this may not be the best place but we thought it was very quiet and relaxing. We found the food and service to be excellent and will definitely go back.

Hope this helps.

Enjoy your cruise.

Craig

If you don't have kids with you, the Cozumel Bar Hop tour is a blast. They drive, you enjoy four stops along the far side of the island. It's well organized and they return you to the dock in plenty of time.There is lots of info on here and Trip Advisor. Check out their website and youtube to see the fun.

For those not really interested the beach activties... We weren't either. We planned to just walk around but came across a kiosk that was offering private tours.. Not pushy at all so we spoke to the guy. He asked what we wanted, we said we were interested in the history of the Island and wanted to know how people live today. We ended up traveling with a guide who took us to what we think aren't tourist attractions. Drove around the island speaking about its history. Took us over to his house to meet his Dad and asked if, since we wanted to know how people lived, it would be ok to swing by the school and pick up his grand daughter :). Extensive knowledge of the island, perfect English. Spoke about his family, his grown children and how life has changes there in his lifetime...

Not everyone's cup of tea, I know, but we loved it. Will be in Cozumel in a few weeks and considering seeking him out again :)

Z and Z, is there any way to contact the driver you had for the day when you in Coz. Considering hiring a driver for the day.

Thanks!

If you look up the long running thread on here, "hiring a driver for the day" you will find the names and contacts of several drivers that are recommended. We usually use a driver from ToursPlaza.

Alternatively you can always get a driver from the taxi dispatcher at the pier. Rates are posted but always best to confirm before you get in so that you know how long you have. If you go this route better to know where you want to go - this is a "driver" not a tour guide he may,or may not speak fluent English if that is important to you.

I understand my guy was a guide.. he showed us what appeared to be a license. .. i will try to find him next weekend...

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

Details of location of the kiosk, or name of the company might be helpful to someone? Also which of the three piers you were near.

I agree that it would be helpful... Unfortunately all I remember is that we got off the ship we went left and the kiosk was maybe within 5 minutes, if that. So I plan on doing the same this time. Also, I will take a look at a map of Cozumel today to see if I can try to determine based on that.. Sorry I do not have more info.

Also, the kiosk was sort of all by itself on the water side of the street so, if it is still there, it would be hard to miss. this was in 2014.

Edited by ZandZ

http://www.chocolateskaokao.com

Very interesting for my 18-year-old son & me. I signed up online for $15 each. We got a tour of the factory, saw the workers hand-wrapping the candy bars, got a history of chocolate plus video, ground chocolate & made our own mixture for hot chocolate, and tasted (and BOUGHT) lots of different chocolate. Taxi ride for 1-4 ppl is $11 one way & they will call a taxi back for you when the tours done.

English is spoken well. Probably not an activity for children under 6 but very engaging for adults.

Takes about 1-1.5 hours depending on how long you shop.

Has anyone hired a car? Someone on our roll call mentioned hiring a car then someone else said there isn't much outside of the town?

Not sure what to do now.

Thanks for any comments on this from people that have been.

I'm not sure what type of things you like to do, but if you love going to the beach, or AI or snorkeling, I have several different places we've been to in Cozumel, listed in my signature line that you can click on. They are full reviews with TONS of pictures of each place that might help you...if you want to go to the beach/ocean. :)

" Buckanos, which we loved. we went in a stretch Cadillac"

I ask for a taxi, had four teen aged girls with us, told us to wait by the wall....wife said "here's our ride" as a stretch limo pulls around...she about fainted when it was our ride. Those girls will never forget that day. It was one of our better days in Cozumel.

" Buckannos, which we loved. we went in a stretch Cadillac"

I ask for a taxi, had four teen aged girls with us, told us to wait by the wall....wife said "here's our ride" as a stretch limo pulls around...she about fainted when it was our ride. Those girls will never forget that day. It was one of our better days in Cozumel.

I know, right....

Needless to day, the water was beautiful, and the fish were better than expected,,,, But the property.... WOW, the quality of that first floor was incredible. You just wanted to walk around and admire the building, grab a chair and just sit and enjoy..

• 2 weeks later...
What do you want to do? :confused: Coz is an island, so most of the activities revolve around the water and the beaches.

I don't know what is their at Cozumel to do :confused:, so that why I am asking what do people do there for the day?

Snorkel tours or snorkeling from the shore? :confused:

We don't mind, we like both :)

Fun things to do in Cozumel:

1) Snorkel

2) Sea Trek at a pearl farm

3) Underwater Scooters

4) Dune Buggies

5) x-rails buggies

6) Walk around San Miguel, shop, eat, drink

7) Bar Hop bus tour

8) visit the small ruins

9) Hire a driver for the day to take out around the island and stop where you want

10) Catamaran Sail

11) Passion Island

12) Beach clubs (all-inclusive or non- all inclusive)

12) Day pass at a resort

13) Chankannab Eco- Park

14) Amazing Race Cozumel

15) Take a cooking class with Josefina

16) bone fishing

And much, much more. What kind of interests do you have? do you like to drink? would you like to spend time in the water? are you interested in culture...food...art?

We went to Cozumel about 18 months ago, and hired a private driver - It might have been the Tours company others have posted about. He was wonderful! We went to the opposite side of the island to a restaurant that was featured on the bar hop - it was open to the ocean, and the waves hitting the rocks was a much different experience than just being on a beach. He also took us to a tequila tasting, (I don't ever do tequila shots, but this tequila made it possible), and a chocolate making place. As he drove, he explained what we were seeing, various monuments, buildings, etc. I'm sorry I don't remember what it cost, but it was much less than a ship excursion.

• 1 month later...