Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Two

CC Help Michell

Jeff:

As i am out of the UK, the player won't work.

i can only imagine what it said, and likely it was grim news.

our state department has now issued a travel alert for europe as of March 22. i am not sure how this will bode for any people who plan on travel to europe.

i fear that acts such as the one in france and belgium are equally possible to occur in our neighborhood too.

sad sad times indeed

In a way genuine Londoners are somewhat hardened to these things having gone through the war, IRA bombings and all that has followed but I detect all of us are getting edgier.

Do not wish t sound gloomy but I have long had what many would see as an irrational fear of taking a cruise on a line perceived to be a container load of rich Americans and Brits. Best not dwell.

Kate Hopkins captures a lot of what many actually feel rather than say.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3506043/KATIE-HOPKINS-hell-solidarity-Europe-willing-accept-Muslim-terror-simply-new-normal-t-afford-stay-it.html

Jeff

Just read this article, Jeff. Thanks. Our problem seems to be that we - most of the civilised world - are too naturally 'nice' to express these sort of feelings, even though we do agree with them.

I hate what is happening to the world I knew as a young and middle-aged person, but feel pretty powerless to do anything about it, apart from voting on staying in or leaving the EU. Sadly this would not make much difference, I fear. Our own security and intelligence people do seem to knock spots off the other European ones, however.

I still harbour a sense of great bitterness over Millibands refusal to allow us to get involved in Syria air operations a few years ago. Action when we shouldn't and no action when we should. Sadly it is all about politics and the general publics lack of stomach for early action in these things.

On a similiar topic I have always though it odd that the public will tolerate substantial collateral innocent deaths in war when a few individuals are the problem but get very angry at the thought of careful targetted state sponsored assassination as preferred by leaders such as Meir Dagan of Mossad who died a few days ago. People often are unable to tolerate the lessor of two evils and home in on the worst. These people simply need to be eliminated.

Jeff

In a way genuine Londoners are somewhat hardened to these things having gone through the war, IRA bombings and all that has followed but I detect all of us are getting edgier.

Do not wish t sound gloomy but I have long had what many would see as an irrational fear of taking a cruise on a line perceived to be a container load of rich Americans and Brits. Best not dwell.

Kate Hopkins captures a lot of what many actually feel rather than say.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3506043/KATIE-HOPKINS-hell-solidarity-Europe-willing-accept-Muslim-terror-simply-new-normal-t-afford-stay-it.html

Jeff

I think you're right Jeff. I catch my train each day into London and it isnt something I really worry too much about needing to do. If something were to happen in a location you visit, the chances of it happening while you are there are slim indeed. People fly, but planes get faults..... my thoughts on it are no different. Obviously a cruise and flying to a cruise I suppose is a choice rather than a necessity (like travelling to work would be), but I still look at it in much the same way. I'm not looking at it as a gamble, but rather, living. I dont intend to let some deranged religious nut who wants to lose his virginity with an imaginary harem of 48 virgins (or whatever the number is these days) interfere if I can help it.

I'm not a fan of Katie Hopkins, but I have to admit her views on these intolerant people and including her possibly insensitive "cockroach" comments are not too dissimilar to my own. I used to be very tolerant, but not so these days. I'm fed up of hearing "I feel insulted" and being fed food that is halal so "everyone" can have it. I could go on..... I just think its wrong when the indigenous population that is gracious enough to accept strange customs and practices, is now unwittingly part of them and bends over backwards so far they are now doing headstands.

Steps off soap box! lol

Good morning coolers,

A lovely, lovely morning here in the Homeland. I told her she didn't need a coat and it was a very nice 18c on our long walk through the woods today. Shockingly the bluebells are showing and there's a lot of dead downed branches and trees around from a rather unfriendly winter.

It was an opportunistic day food wise as there was some lovely 28 day aged fillet beef which had my name written on it which I flattened out. I toasted some Pain Pugliese that I brushed some very green unfiltered olive oil on, The bread was was lovely and made with durum wheat. I added some slow braised sweet red onion, some horseradish - and added some olive oil charlotte roasties.

All simple rustic fayre with Boite Medoc on tap.

Have a really good day coolers wherever you are.

Jeff

94B9A16F-C3BA-42A6-B36B-08DDE5AF507E.jpg

C348378C-7A15-4D84-A144-D730F14D54D4.jpg

B5D21D56-1414-485C-B553-9E313E287ECB.jpg

I think you're right Jeff. I catch my train each day into London and it isnt something I really worry too much about needing to do. If something were to happen in a location you visit, the chances of it happening while you are there are slim indeed. People fly, but planes get faults..... my thoughts on it are no different. Obviously a cruise and flying to a cruise I suppose is a choice rather than a necessity (like travelling to work would be), but I still look at it in much the same way. I'm not looking at it as a gamble, but rather, living. I dont intend to let some deranged religious nut who wants to lose his virginity with an imaginary harem of 48 virgins (or whatever the number is these days) interfere if I can help it.

I'm not a fan of Katie Hopkins, but I have to admit her views on these intolerant people and including her possibly insensitive "cockroach" comments are not too dissimilar to my own. I used to be very tolerant, but not so these days. I'm fed up of hearing "I feel insulted" and being fed food that is halal so "everyone" can have it. I could go on..... I just think its wrong when the indigenous population that is gracious enough to accept strange customs and practices, is now unwittingly part of them and bends over backwards so far they are now doing headstands.

Steps off soap box! lol

Les,

The most dangerous reaction to all this is the non-reaction we see. I will be cast as being alarmist but I see the convergence of the trends we are currently witnessing as being the start of the very worst and unsettling time for humanity to date. The sort of " '60's "love and peace and "they will not win" of the very lovely and loving passive isn't an antidote to this. What we are seing is the early not mature stages of this "war". Unless we confront it and start to do things quickly that in other times we would not countenance we are most certainly in for a very terrible few years.

:(

Jeff

From memory there are several hundred semi-autonomous highly trained ISIS "agents" in independent "cells" each of which have been given a fund of from recall £50,000 to fund opportunistic terror.

UKCruiseJeff: Les' date=' The [b']most dangerous reaction to all this is the non-reaction we see.[/b] I will be cast as being alarmist but I see the convergence of the trends we are currently witnessing as being the start of the very worst and unsettling time for humanity to date. The sort of " '60's "love and peace and "they will not win" of the very lovely and loving passive isn't an antidote to this. What we are seing is the early not mature stages of this "war". Unless we confront it and start to do things quickly that in other times we would not countenance we are most certainly in for a very terrible few years. Jeff

UKCruiseJeff: In a way genuine Londoners are somewhat hardened to these things having gone through the war' date=' IRA bombings and all that has followed[/b'] but I detect all of us are getting edgier. Do not wish t sound gloomy but I have long had what many would see as an irrational fear of taking a cruise on a line perceived to be a container load of rich Americans and Brits. Best not dwell.

Sadly, these points and comments by Jeff and others are very true and alarming. Yes, it is not always what you do that can cause a problem. It is the "non-reaction" that can do the most damage. Clearly on these boards where we are not supposed to go too "political", I will not be too much more specific and detailed. I am glad that Jeff "gets it". Clearly lots serious questions are now facing many European countries on their "open border" policies, etc.

Excellent historic points above by Jeff on the long London history from suffering those experiences during World War II, with the IRA bombers, etc.

Am down in Charlottesville, Va., this Easter holiday weekend with our two grandsons, etc. Will have lots of cute spring pictures to post, plus much more on the "boys"!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 138,679 views for this posting.

Good afternoon coolers from a very wet Hampshire!

I hope coolers will continue to patiently educate me. I am an inquisitive and terminally confused bugger.

I know few people in Europe who consider Monopole worthy of everything else other than drinking. It was the free stuff that Intercontinental hotels put in the mini bar. Blue Top or Red Top. White or Rose. But so many customers complained about how cheap and undrinkable it was, they dumped it. It seems to me that so many Americans love it but so many Europeans think it ghastly. Is it simply because it is called "champagne" and some will drink anything called "champagne? Or is it that the amount you love this stuff depends bizarelly on where you were born. Wifey will drink distilled paint thinner if she is desperate, but even she will pour the Blue Top down the sink! I simply do not understand. Hashtag Confused!

And this obsessing about who is the captain? is Doughnut the MD? Who is the Cruise Director? Is it Fernando ( "Tannow Tommy") ? How is his leg? Do people genuinely believe that this is important? Do they believe that they are these peoples' besty friends and have a unique place in their hearts? Or is it simply a way of advertising they have SS'ed a lot? When on board, if the person they seemingly are interested about and seem to hero-worship recognises them in a public place do they suddenly swell with pride and feel they are a rung or two above people they think are jealous?

I don't get this obsessing about the staff? Genuinely. Explain please. :)

Foodwise. Important stuff. Today was me playing Hawker Jeff with some egg fred rice, plain chow mein, stir fried veg and pork in terriyaki and cashew sauce.

Jeff

26488217-2765-49D0-B700-4B5227404956.jpg

AF70D4B2-C3E8-4E0E-99FC-67807D9CD7CA.jpg

DA28658B-ADBE-427B-974F-2849136E607D.jpg

BC1E290C-553C-4400-BDD2-E0048E20C43B.jpg

F5098F2F-859E-4735-9CF6-BFD2674CD88F.jpg

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

Thanks Spins,

I am just a grumpy old English bloke with an over active wok.

Jeff

Spot on there Jeffers...[emoji6][emoji15]......but my tuppence worth.....the usual fizz on board is not to my taste....I'm a Dom or Cristal gal....I'm not a cheap date....!!

It's always lovely to see familiar faces on board and SS do have the edge on this one....

S[emoji4]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just one comment on the main topic - see Clarkson's article on the back page of the Sunday Times News Review. About time these things were said.

To pleasanter things - Jeff, your food photos have been very life enhancing for me, as have the sunshine and daffodils etc.

Sophia - so glad to hear all seems to be tickety-boo (have you heard of this in the USA?) for your cruise. I don't suppose you needed to lose a stone in weight, but it will give you carte blanche to indulge a bit on the transatlantic. You must be more than ready for being looked after, so we all hope you and spins have a wonderful relaxing time. I imagine you are spending at least one night in the Miami area before boarding?

Happy Easter to everyone

Lola

Happy Easter to everyone. Lola

YES, Happy Easter to all. Being down in Charlottesville, Virginia, am enjoying the nice, Spring weather, plus grandsons and family. Below are a few visuals from yesterday to symbolize this wonderful Spring season.

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 138,829 views for this posting.

Here are a few visuals sampling from wonderful Spring day in central Virginia. Enjoy the season!!:

Africa2016PixsC7_zpsisjqxlyb.jpg

Africa2016PixsC2_zpszb8wjilk.jpg

Africa2016PixsC3_zps2fgjzuh6.jpg

Africa2016PixsC1_zpstli2q9sx.jpg

Africa2016PixsC5_zpsivkgor8s.jpg

Africa2016PixsC6_zpshpxlaeqt.jpg

Lovely heartwarming pictures, Terry.

Enjoyed both races, and the right people won. I well remember Cambridge chaps going down in 1978, a school and rowing friend of my son's was in that crew! Well done Cambridge girls for having the guts to carry on.

I did say to DH after seeing the chaps interviewed ' I wish I was ??? years younger'. Just love really tall men.

Lola

Lovely heartwarming pictures, Terry. I wish I was ??? years younger'. Just love really tall men. Lola

Appreciate this nice follow-up from Lola. So glad to know that you "love really tall men"!! As a person 6' 2", do I qualify as a "tall man"? Hope to be in your special category.

Below are some more visuals from Spring and being in Virginia. Doing bikes, playing outside, etc.??!! It's all super fun for this time of the year after folks have been cooped up during the long winter season.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 196,026 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Here are some more examples of Spring fun and excitement from yesterday, including being with our two grandsons in Virginia. Kids playing on bikes is greatly exciting. Nice time of the year to be visiting in this scenic and historic "Land of Jefferson"!!:

Africa2016PixsC8_zps7poog8dz.jpg

Africa2016PixsC10_zpsamqgnnic.jpg

Africa2016PixsC11%201_zpshi5kf0sh.jpg

Africa2016PixsC9_zpswbppvkfn.jpg

Africa2016PixsC12%201_zps9nqaowxv.jpg

Edited by TLCOhio

Greetings Coolers! I'm missing a lot of the action from the cooler! Delicious food pictures Jeff! Nice spring and family shots Terry! Glad your dad is doing better Sophia! Thanks JP and spinnaker2 and Jeff and all for your comments on my pics! If I missed someone or something I am sorry! No insult intended! :)

Here are some new ones.

From Penang - a shot of a parasol shop at Chew Jetty -

DSC02926_zpstyiwvic5.jpg

No picture from Phuket. Hot as blazes and we simply wandered the market set up steps from the ship.

From Bagan - Damayangyi Temple -

DSC03140_zpskzppkjcy.jpg

Shwezigon Pagoda -

DSC03212_zpsxjify4yf.jpg

Bagan was very interesting. Unfortunately the planned hot air balloon ride did not happen due to an issue with the wind.

Today we are still in Yangon.

Have a great day/evening all!

mysty - lovely pics, the parasol one especially 'artistic'. Good to hear you are still enjoying everything.

Terry - nice pics of the grandsons - one can see the difference in them from the last ones! they grow up so quickly.

Re tall men - a frivolous topic, but maybe better at present than the serious ones. When I was young, girls liked chaps to be taller than them even if they were in heels; nowadays it is good that it doesn't matter any more. Therefore for me, a bit over 6' was ideal. I do think life is more difficult for anyone over about 6' 3" - leg length in planes and cars etc. etc.

We have storm Katie here at present; wet and windy, and the poor little magnolia is just starting to come into flower.

Lola

Nice spring and family shots Terry! Today we are still in Yangon.

lincslady: Terry - nice pics of the grandsons - one can see the difference in them from the last ones! they grow up so quickly. Re tall men - a frivolous topic' date=' but maybe better at present than the serious ones. When I was young, girls liked chaps to be taller than them even if they were in heels; nowadays it is good that it doesn't matter any more. Therefore [b']for me, a bit over 6' was ideal. [/b]I do think life is more difficult for anyone over about 6' 3" - leg length in planes and cars etc. etc. Lola

Appreciate mysty's continued wonderful pictures from southeast Asia. Keep them coming!! Very interesting and inspiring. For early 2018, we are doing some serious research and planning on Hong Kong, Vietnam, Angkor Wat, Singapore, etc. Never been in SE Asia and there are a number of good options to consider. Will have lots more questions in the future, including about doing some Mekong River cruise versus what lines such as Crystal, Seabourn and Silversea offer in the Hong Kong to Singapore (or vice-versa) sailing can offer and do. Any quick reactions and tips?

Excellent insights and comments from Lola on our grandsons' growth and changes, about tall men, etc. In just a period of a little less than three months, lots of "things have been happening", including for how much our two grandsons are now so much into riding the bikes, doing ball tossing, kicking, etc. Such super fun to see these various changes, their growth, etc.!!

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 210,229 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Terry - I think I may have touched on SE Asia before somewhere but here goes. I don't personally regard this area as a cruise unless you just fancy skimming the edges and enjoying the ship. The hotels in SE Asia and the restaurants are simply too good to miss and offer a level of service and luxury your ship cannot possibly match. Also, many of the major sites are far inland and while cruise lines offer them as excursions, sometimes overnight, I still think a land-based trip is by far the best option, especially if you want to visit Angkor/Siem Reap in Cambodia.

Angkor is easily reachable nowadays. We first went in 1992 and I swear there were only 50 tourists on the entire site. That was an unforgettable trip. We went back four years ago and found 1000s of people but it was still fabulous. Of course, there are hotels to stay in these days. We stayed for 5 nights at the best and most expensive, Amansara, which is perhaps the best hotel I have ever stayed in. It looks expensive but they do include all meals, drinks and the best temple tours available so look beyond the room rate . . . There is also a new Park Hyatt which people seem to like. Other hotels, like the historic Grand Hotel de Angkor, the Sofitel etc, are for large tour groups. In the dry season, especially Jan-Feb, Angkor is incredibly hot and dusty.

You can catch a number of fancy river boats from Siem Reap and sail down to Saigon. I've done this trip and found it worthwhile but not the best river trip I've done. The villages get a bit monotonous and you need to be aware of major changes in water levels at various tmes of year. Even so, a marvellous intro to the area. You could cruise just down to Phnom Penh which I like a lot and it now has a lovely Raffles to stay at. And Saigon has a fabulous hotel, the Park Hyatt.

This is Amansara -

5356109129_855bca07a1_b.jpgAmansara, Siem Reap by UltraPanavision, on Flickr

I've done many trips to this region and I'm happy to pass on advice and opinion etc.

Edited by Fletcher