Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Two

CC Help Michell

I'll concur with that Rx!

Still contemplating what's for dinner tonight. Not inspired! Have to make a shopping run for milk and fruit, so hopefully something at the supermarket will reach out and say, "Eat me!" It will be even better if minimal work is involved.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

Details, Jeff? Certainly looks tasty.

Last night's dinner was simple. Pan-roasted cauliflower with pasta, topped with pancetta and bread crumbs. It was surprisingly tasty. Roasting cauliflower tastes so much better to me than boiling or steaming it - the flavor is much more concentrated with roasting.

I liked this recipe because I got to use the last of my slab of pancetta that we bought at Eataly a few weeks ago, and also fresh thyme from the herb garden. And of course, some Parmigiana cheese to finish it.

7BvwgAtZSZErEvfoc_peAlIrBSs3Q3TcYgD3Xqm6-xSzQLsQsjD9R-WJoF1EpQmSPDofGuiUBwd6vndwgG5A4T0gyrs7_QuhrpeTew7waNxwc1EsWxpUYQ_v5RUNqGF-RhV1IVAwXPhbr_5OBqKz4AUMJigl_RAea4cgQNozEtanRu6ekv03a0_31dJuISf0qXMvXyXr1b0HGKffasPUU5CVm_Wmm85E9qZ2h1r3UickW56zm7A8oej_Y5ItLlN2-RjQMUTmmzcNnA1UtwdJ667AQ04vekmX-giKZ-lDQGkJp2Gss-HDD57x3iw5h2WF-AtisoC1yLPLzQ1xD6zibqIdIDZT645do3aM2GWTQrFOkDaxcSO4Tu6lyc2_w-fJMEejOpbYADTvnQOyzpFBUdpclb2Kobbcp9b_c-kew1DOQocJeSBmLZo2B1D3Ldd9K6S8rfB9s3cs4ot7GvoawHIcTdY8MyeGToe-LVItWXP8sVzyEle_oNlVF2lDw8kxYzmScMqGvVbVTup_XNXgLwikjw582mFl3XteSGVyWHswaQgKnWyM0GNara391urrll0tEnpbr6Q_H9fsmX8OeRAMPJT-3Mb_Ds9ZL_MLYMF8ww4tug=w1000-h562-no

We are getting ready for Madagascar! Not long to go now!

zQsT7Yb0ykNkBTo_AK591ckP3V-EQjnGkmdME8ux1oyf3EoPXUAbWTuokqbO76cH9LSHM5bRQVbGy0I6_sYtC656JpUkdGyLi3cfcqH2t60E3fVOj_qu7nRaj8H1tFzN20el0Hv_tyH7_OugFSVedvZ2FkzeI9rpQtHRd0fILNoOnXxt5gecYo-Jvvjn6KdQZt1F_pdAmqcOatZ0a0tPXcIZtoJ-iloyiQE2CP3lhI1hLic6A5BrUSr8ZCVBcaWCS8iBgYOmWjp_2XqKTQrrTNusosJ8G3KiBVQBjQkQOI3q0Ddsf73R8eru3MENrtlMQGftH0zB2_8AXaO22UpHvwqz3Sl4rGMeInD3qF2Bf5xgi9PLVHbkyagdbRP9UNVvVq3vqsQC49ROcg2Os8ubn6vbCPKosHa0DChxkHrNt6y82-U1O-Y5bc9-_iKlzDZTMk4fLmNMvhNGj9F7NZi8aaRV36_8KDqwROnQt4snXg0Vtyt08SsCJvYEc0UiAZcH9OGk8MNQMmYuAmB58N-vneM3Ijbu6AJbiDxhiLvOI6r8hwJ-9sJWNZd4YLJQXZF4flNIN6baYADV6dXK96T3yFbkzLyR_Skp1t03l1qjZ9RgWUBbfw=w598-h1024-no

Good luck with the anti-malarials JP. Closer every day!

If you're taking anti-malarials, PLEASE make sure you haven't been prescribed Lariam! I had a hellish experience when my doctor prescribed it for me and never having experienced ANY side effects before, from Malarone or anything else, I started taking it without doing any research whatsoever. From what I learnt after the fact, EVERYONE who takes it experiences some side effects (which happen to be quite serious). I was lucky enough to experience all but the homicidal and suicidal tendancies, and was ready to grab a train back to Delhi and take the first flight home until I realized what was going on. It was that bad!

Just a warning, as I wouldn't want anyone to have to go through what I did.

Bechi

I can buy my own, so I always choose Malarone...Thanks for the warning. :D

Unfortunately, I am somewhat familiar with the side effect profile of Lariam. Heard about it from many vets who took it (I work at a VA hospital). Definitely not something I want to chance without a few weeks of testing before a long trip. Though the once weekly dosing regimen is always tempting!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

There has been a "big thing" in the UK over the recent past about Lariam being given to our soldiers without "informed consent" ie they were not warned of side effects. What has made matters worst is that our army head admitted he wouldn't take it himself but didn't step in to stop it being administered to those under his command.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/08/31/former-head-of-army-says-i-would-not-take-lariam-as-he-apologise/

Jeff

Hi JP, those sweet potato fries was going "off piste" for schnitzel and Gruner .... but I think you are right and they are wrong. They look lovely. Although .... the cheese? :) As is usual in life ... I have gone into reverse and I'm courting the deep fat fryer again and making lovely fluffy fried things.

Two and two often make four and reading about your planned trips and what you normally bring back i guess you might be bringing back some lovely vanilla from Madagascar?

Jeff

The cheese was OK in my book because Sudtirol is a part of Italy where you can still find Schnitzel. So Italian cheese on the frites was not such a geographic stretch, in my opinion! ;)

Vanilla beans are the natural choice from Madagascar. Also hoping to pick up some local spices that will remind us of the cuisine. We also like to collect small statues of animals that are made from local materials. Will have to see which of these possibilities come to fruition.

Good luck with the anti-malarials JP. Closer every day!

Chicken in creamy Noily and mushrooms sauce .....

I also made some coconut macaroons this afternoon for our English Tea! Wifey has been scoffing them so I guess they were good. :)

Jeff

The chicken looks great, as do the macaroons. We grilled some chicken thighs tonight and had a potato salad along with some cucumbers and lettuce.

Looks like the weather will not get warm enough for us to go back in the pool this year. Today was pleasant but there is still a chill in the air. The water temperature is slipping below 80 degrees and we're going to close it up for the winter before we head off to Madagascar. Oh well - we had a great summer here and can't complain, even though we are sorry to see it going away.

Edited by jpalbny

I wish to God I'd known what I was in for before I started taking it! My doctor had recommended it due to the once a week regimen, and I was foolish enough for the first and only time to not even read the warnings and contraindications that come with the prescription. I'm grateful that I realized what was happening to me when I did and that a local doctor was able to make an immediate "house call" and prescribe some meds that would allow me to continue my trip. I was in Rajasthan at the time, about to head out into the Thar desert on horseback to spend a few weeks visiting small villages, and was so messed up I was ready to turn tail and head back home! I'd be hard pressed to decide whether I'd rather battle Malaria or a course of that particular prophylactic! It really should be banned.

Glad you're smarter than myself, JP!

Edited by pf778c

Close, Jeff. It was Gin and Tonic that used to cure malaria. And, it wasn't every the gin, it was the quinine in tonic water that was curative. Supposedly, the gin was added because real tonic water (made from tree bark) tasted so awful that the addition of gin made it more palatable! :eek:

But...like all good things, there is a downside. Quinine can cause autoimmune thrombocytopenia [dangerously low platelet count, leading to bleeding], so modern tonic water has minimal to no quinine; the flavor is artificial. When I first started out we used quinine like candy for nighttime leg cramps. Haven't seen a Rx for that in many years now.

So, you can still drink plenty of G&T on safari. But it doesn't do anything for malaria any more, unless it's "real" tonic water. :(

Edited by jpalbny

JP, the quinine origins was the original reason it was called "Indian" tonic water because the Brits added soda and sugar to get rid of the overly bitter taste whilst in the colonies. The British Empire gave us tonic water .......:D

I personally believe it still is a prophylactic against malaria so long as sufficient quantities of Absolut are added.

Or perhaps it's just that mosquitos are clever enough to avoid drunken Brits?

Three months until we try it out on the mozzie population of Singapore. :)

Jeff

I can only think of one advantage of avoiding malaria prophylaxis. If you have syphilis the causative Treponema bacteria are very sensitive to heat - the high fever associated with malaria will kill the syphilis bacteria.

Other cures are available.

Just got this e-mail...

Dear JP,

I am humbled and honored to be writing to you for the first time as Uniworld's President & CEO. I'd like to first congratulate Guy Young on his promotion, and thank him for his tireless efforts to enrich the Uniworld brand over the past 10 years and pave the path for an exciting future.

For those who don't know me, I have had the pleasure of working in the travel and cruising industries throughout my career. Travel is a huge passion of mine, and sharing that love of travel with others is just one of the many reasons why I am thrilled to be a part of the Uniworld team.

I can't express enough how amazing the Uniworld brand and product is. From ships that are a work of art on the water, to the personalized onshore experience, to an onboard team that places guest satisfaction and personal relationships above all else, Uniworld is the pinnacle of river cruising.

Since you have traveled with Uniworld in the past, I'm sure you know exactly what I mean. If you have yet to plan your next Uniworld cruise, I'd like to personally invite you to join us onboard again soon. I see this as just the beginning, as we have plans to continue to innovate, inspire and enhance your time with Uniworld in new ways.

I will be onboard several cruises in the future, and I'd love the opportunity to meet you in person. Be sure to come say, "Hi!"

Warmest regards,

Ellen Bettridge

President & CEO

Uniworld Boutique River Cruise Collection