Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Two

CC Help Michell

Rain started here an hour or so ago. Light, misty, now getting a touch heavier. I'm off today in exchange for working the weekend prior, so have to try to keep busy...

Was outside from about 8:00 until now, fixing the front walk, and managed to get enough done before the rain started to get heavy! We have a lovely walkway in the front made of concrete pavers, surrounded by lovely landscaping including lots of trees and shrubs. Unfortunately, the roots don't know enough to not grow under the walkway, so every few years they get big enough to push some of the pavers up enough to make the suface irregular, with tilted pavers and exposed edges instead of a nice flat surface. It's a bit of a challenge to walk on without tripping. Worse yet, it makes snow shoveling a real treat...

So it was time to rip up a few sections of walkway, trim roots, and smooth the base before replacing the stones. It's not a bad job once you actually get motivated. This afternoon, I'm thinking that I'll clean the garage to make it nice and pretty for the new S6 - if it ever gets here!! It cleared customs 16 October but is still in the final processing / inspection stages before it gets here. Any day, I hope!

Jeff, sorry for stealing the moon and replacing it with clouds. Stay dry everyone.

JP, you really are good with DIY! We have a cute but annoying little chipmunk who has burrowed under our front step. He has excavated under the brick walk way and it now has canted stones in some places. I don't want to hurt the little guy but I want his tenancy to be over. Short of dismantling the walkway, I have no solution.

Hope your car arrives soon.

Jeff, sorry for stealing the moon and replacing it with clouds. Stay dry everyone.

At least we sent you our roots. tee hee

Hope we see some piccies of the walkway. Knowing Chris and you it will be elegant and better than my really cheap gravel.

We had sort of been musing about Muse and in definate need of some travel. Still.

So much of the places we know and love don't get past the "can't be bothered" test. Terrible reports now emerging about changes in central Europe. Doctors complaining in both Austria and Germany that press is being suppressed about the seriousness of the issue. Shotguns out of stock - many being bought by concerned female residents. Doctors reporting seeing deseases in children in the detention centers they haven't seen before. Doctors unable to cope. Females refusing to talk to Male doctors and males refusing to be seen by female doctors. Doctors giving prescriptions for kids bu when parents go to pharmacies and realise they have to pay for medications, leaving their kids in the pharmacies.

This really isn't going to end well.

Jeff

migrants-boat-capsize-mediterranean.jpg

_85372400_3uj7e9qu.jpg

migrants1.jpg

slovenia-dobova_wide-4d43ddb05696574a25723d0c96b424a7e890f77d-s900-c85.jpg

2DB3ED0500000578-3286365-image-m-108_1445611188477.jpg

2DBA44A600000578-3287510-Some_58_000_migrants_and_refugees_heading_to_Germany_and_Austria-a-26_1445706649906.jpg

Sorry to change the subject from all of those puns...but I am happy to say that my S6 arrived at the dealer today! Got an e-mail from the sales guy this afternoon, and they will have it registered, insured, and ready for me to pick up tomorrow. Good timing; after finishing the walkway early this morning I spent the afternoon cleaning up the garage so it's all ready!

To celebrate we cooked a German-sounding meal that was quite tasty if I say so myself. Pork tenderloin medallions seared in butter and olive oil, then finished by braising in an onion sauce (onions, flour, butter, broth). Served over Spätzle, and accompanied by a nice California Gewürztraminer. Unfortunately I did not save leftovers so I'll have to invent something for lunch tomorrow.

upload_-1.jpg

mysty, I can relate to your chipmunk woes. We shared most of our tomato harvest this year with those little pests. They almost looked cute, holding a cherry tomato in their paws while nibbling away!

I was grateful also for your use of the word "canted" in the previous post. I was looking for a word to describe the pavers after the roots dislodge them and that is perfect! Thanks. Canted chaos is an apt description... No pictures, though.

The wings do look tasty! The method that I use is to coat them in a little oil by tossing them in a bowl with a tbsp or so, then bake them in the oven on a broiler rack at a high temperature. The skin crisps nicely and much less fatty than deep-frying. Your air-fryer probably works similarly, though.

Now I have to manage a day of work before I can pick up the S6...hopefully it will go fast!

Edited by jpalbny

The wings do look tasty! The method that I use is to coat them in a little oil by tossing them in a bowl with a tbsp or so, then bake them in the oven on a broiler rack at a high temperature. The skin crisps nicely and much less fatty than deep-frying. Your air-fryer probably works similarly, though.

Now I have to manage a day of work before I can pick up the S6...hopefully it will go fast!

Hi JP,

Yes ... I'd been reading about a different method which intriqued me. Yes that method would crips the skin nicely.

What I was playing with was dredging in cornflour. So I mixed some cornflour with some 5 spice, chilli powder, paprika, salt and pepper and put it into a bag and shaked the chicken in it. It sort of creates a spicey KFC thing ie with light crust as well as crisp. Just using oil would crisp it fine but this method adds a sort of light surface batter.

It needs a dipping sauce though and next time I'm making a Kung Po dipping sauce ie basically sweet and sour sauce with chilli and sugar.

It's lovely to see how the S6 is so keenly anticipated. New toys makes us all small boys. :D

Jeff

JP, enjoy the new car!

Jeff, what kind of air fryer do you have? I have been looking at them and wondering what to purchase.

Knowing you, I am sure you did the research before you bought.

Rainy day here, remnants of Patricia.

Will force me to do indoor chores. Like getting ready to pack!

Enjoy the day all.

Temp just a few degrees above freezing, steady rain, and blustery winds, I think I'll be enjoying my day indoors. Although, I did drive to the mall for my morning walk.

Edited by Mark_K

Hurray for the car's arrival and imminent delivery JP! Your meal looks scrumptious! My pleasure for the "canted"! :) Use it in good health! Ha Ha!

UKCruiseJeff: Terrible reports now emerging about changes in central Europe. Doctors complaining in both Austria and Germany that press is being suppressed about the seriousness of the issue. Shotguns out of stock - many being bought by concerned female residents. Doctors reporting seeing deseases in children in the detention centers they haven't seen before. Doctors unable to cope. Females refusing to talk to Male doctors and males refusing to be seen by female doctors. Doctors giving prescriptions for kids bu when parents go to pharmacies and realise they have to pay for medications' date=' leaving their kids in the pharmacies. [b']This really isn't going to end well.[/b]

YES!! YES!! Good news on the car's arrival, the great food visuals, etc. Have lots of catching up to do and post here for various family, fall and food pictures. Been super busy this past week with family here from Kansas and Virginia, plus work, projects, etc. More postings to come in the next day or so.

Sad to hear the details from Jeff on the impacts hitting Central Europe, etc. Appreciate these details and updates regarding the many unintended consequences, etc., etc. There were lots of "good intentions" when Germany and others opened their borders and said come on in. BUT, then, things slowed down and lots of serious questions started being asked/considered.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 125,093 views for this posting.

From the Mirror in London last weekend, they have this headline: "Ohio State University Marching Band wow Londoners as they open NFL on Regent Street event" with these highlights: "A busy London street was brought to a standstill as one of the United States' most prestigious bands signalled the arrival of NFL to the capital's streets. The 225-piece Ohio State University Marching Band got American football fans in the mood as they kicked things off at the NFL on Regent Street."

Did not want Jeff, Mark, Candy, etc., to not know about our school being picked by the NFL to celebrate in London, etc. As I mentioned and posted earlier, this band had a half-time program featuring the 50th Anniversary of the British Invasion with that great music. Has the UM band done this lately??

Full story, pictures and video at:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/ohio-state-university-marching-band-6695747

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 188,345 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Here are two pictures proving the presence of the Ohio State Marching Band in London.:

Oct2015PixsA1_zpsnnvi7mjf.jpg

Oct2015PixsA2_zpsbwnwwz1m.jpg

Good Morning Coolers ...... very quiet here ..... everyone must be on strike! Nice piccies Terry.

You may remember my obession with all things wood (eg that chair ....:rolleyes: ).... and I saw this rather rustic box on ebay which I had to have for wifey. It was made in Bali. It is the sort of thing you have to keep touching.

:)

Jeff

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG