Carnival Sunshine 8/8/15 8 day sailing review with pics

jimbo5544

May I add some additional info here about this area. Hopefully I am not jumping in too early here as you may be posting more later.

JiJi and Cucina del Capitano are back here also.

At lunch, JiJi has a line very similar to Monogolian Wok on other ships where you choose your noodles and veggies choices and the chefs will add your meat or seafood and sauce of choice and then cook it fresh for you.

On other side, at Cucina del Capitano, you are given a list of choices of pasta, sauce and ingredients. You mark your choices, hand the sheet in and your dish is made fresh for you. They also have Caesar salad and bread available here.

JiJi and Cucina del Capitano are extra fee venues for dinner for $15pp. Worth the extra fees.

I agree that it is much easier to find room here to eat. Many times, if we chose food from the buffet, we brought our food to meet and eat with our friends.

Thanks Mary - I was just going to ask Jimbo if there was a Mongolian Wok :)

Thanks Mary - I was just going to ask Jimbo if there was a Mongolian Wok :)

It actually worked well in the back there. Having in up front near the pool area on other ships and the lines associated with the wait clog up the area in my opinion.

So glad I caught this review as I will be sailing in the same EXACT Captains Suite next month with my parents. I've also ordered birthday decorations so this gives me an idea how it will also be done. I've not seen many pictures of the port-side Captains Suite on the Sunshine so I appreciate you taking the time to include in your review! :)

So glad I caught this review as I will be sailing in the same EXACT Captains Suite next month with my parents. I've also ordered birthday decorations so this gives me an idea how it will also be done. I've not seen many pictures of the port-side Captains Suite on the Sunshine so I appreciate you taking the time to include in your review! :)

You will love the Room(s), say hi to Denny (room steward) and his side kick for me. They were great! Glad I could help, more pics of it coming.....

"It does not have a separate buffet line. There are however two omelet stations that were the least busy we have ever seen on a Carnival ship...."

Good to know about the omelet stations back there, as that is my favorite everyday buffet breakfast.

Good morning! May I have ham, both cheeses, mushrooms and tomatoes, well-done, please? Thank you!

Yep, I'm ready for a cruise. ;)

"It does not have a separate buffet line. There are however two omelet stations that were the least busy we have ever seen on a Carnival ship...."

Good to know about the omelet stations back there, as that is my favorite everyday buffet breakfast.

Good morning! May I have ham, both cheeses, mushrooms and tomatoes, well-done, please? Thank you!

Yep, I'm ready for a cruise. ;)

LOL, I can tell. Doing the review helps me re-live the cruise, that being said, I could go back right now......

It actually worked well in the back there. Having in up front near the pool area on other ships and the lines associated with the wait clog up the area in my opinion.

That's great news....yes the lines at times can be horrendous but still worth it - at least we wont clog the rest of the Lido area ;)

thanks

MDR dining experience on the Sunshine. Instead of giving a day by day review of our dining experience, I thought I would wrap it all together.

The first thing is that the MDR's in the Sunshine are unique (at least from my perspective. When they transformed the forward dining room (Sunrise) they removed the upper level. What was the upper level of the dining room became the Piano bar and Steakhouse. As a result, anytime dining, which is usually in the forward dining room moved to the aft (Sunset). As a result, we normally eat in the Aft dining room and were now going to eat in the forward dining room. Certainly not a big deal, just something different.

Due to our group sizes, we also had to work somewhat harder to get what we wanted for table arrangements. I won't bore you with the details other than to say we ended up in a place in the dining room we would not normally like (but of our own making).

Our servers did a good job and worked hard at ensuring we were happy. Our group put them, through their paces with unusual and special requests and they exceeded in all areas. We were usually the last to leave with the wife and I ushering them out the door so they could get ready for late seating.

That's great news....yes the lines at times can be horrendous but still worth it - at least we wont clog the rest of the Lido area ;)

thanks

True, in the past I wold head for the Wok and see the lines and turn around. This did not happen on this cruise.

I would have preferred that cruise, but I am determined to let my oldest son have one last time in Camp Carnival, so we're going during the week of his birthday. He'll be turning 12 in Grand Turk

Hi ladygal4.4....My sister and I, plus a few friends, will be on the SUnshine the same week as you are! Hope to get the chance to meet you at some point!

Deb

more coming soon! [/color][/size]

Enjoying your review too! Can't wait for more. I will be cruising on the Sunshine Feb 5th, 2016 so am curious about the ship....PS, Your photos are fabulous.

Deb

Thanks, I have some more I will be posting. Glad you are enjoying it. We will be getting back on the Sunshine Feb 13 as you are getting off.

The Sunshine still has the old menu. Our last cruise in April when we were on the Breeze, they had the new menu's and service. I do have to say it was interesting going back to the old menu. After dinner we went and hung out at Oceans Plaza. We got our first glimpse of of In Crowd, the band that played there. We listened to their set and when they took a break, we moved on. We stopped in the RFP for a nightcap and listened to Michael playing the guitar and singing, then we headed back up to the room.

Edited by jimbo5544

I am a balcony person, I love balconies and I spend a good chunk of time n them when I cruise, significantly more than my wife. This balcony on the Captain's Suite as better than the balcony on the Captain's Suite on the Liberty. Having the front glassed in made it really, really nice. I sat out there for a while entered into my iPad in the notes section (for the review) and then went into bed.

Sunday, first sea day, first cruise elegant night

We are morning people, and while it may seem strange to some when we cruise, we still get up early....... well most of the time. I awoke and rolled over to see it was light and my wife was not in bed. Getting up I saw she was not in the cabin and when I looked at the clock (we always travel with a digital clock) I saw it was 8:40. I had not slept that long in a long while.

I walked back to our normal area where we go for breakfast (Lido aft starboard - don't ask me why we just do and found her there with my brother and his wife. After coffee and then breakfast we wandered out to see what was still around for chairs in Serenity. I was shocked to find we easily got loungers and chairs under the overhand on the middle level. I had thought this would have been a slim chance.

Chair Hogs Long a favorite topic here, I feel the need to comment on this subject for two reasons. The first is that the Sunshine specifically has been mentioned by many in let us say not so nice a way, specifically in this area. The second is that our experience with chair hogs seems to have grown over the last couple of years. We spent a lot of time in Serenity and I can tell you that kudos goes out to the staff. Around 10 they began marking stuff left out and then bagging stuff as well. YEAH! I also noticed they were doing in around the main pool. Made my day!

The Sunshine still has the old menu. Our last cruise in April when we were on the Breeze, they had the new menu's and service. I do have to say it was interesting going back to the old menu. After dinner we went and hung out at Oceans Plaza. We got our first glimpse of of In Crowd, the band that played there. We listened to their set and when they took a break, we moved on. We stopped in the RFP for a nightcap and listened to Michael playing the guitar and singing, then we headed back up to the room.

I am loving the review only 217 days till we cruise, not like I'm counting!!!!

I am wonder if someone could explain the difference between the old and new menus? I see some posts on American table is this the new menu? Any idea when the Sunshine will get the new menu?

Thank you in advance.

Rick

I am loving the review only 217 days till we cruise, not like I'm counting!!!!

I am wonder if someone could explain the difference between the old and new menus? I see some posts on American table is this the new menu? Any idea when the Sunshine will get the new menu?

Thank you in advance.

Rick

Sure, about a year ago Carnival began testing a new menu for their ships. It is called American Table and American Feast (on cruise elegant nights). There are different things they tested, like not using table cloths (just nice wood tables), different food items, some tied to the local port, new items etc. it has been refined and is now slowly being rolled out to the fleet. I think (although not sure) that the Sunshine is getting it this fall. If I am incorrect I am sure someone will correct me. Mainly small changes, nothing to worry about.

Sure, about a year ago Carnival began testing a new menu for their ships. It is called American Table and American Feast (on cruise elegant nights). There are different things they tested, like not using table cloths (just nice wood tables), different food items, some tied to the local port, new items etc. it has been refined and is now slowly being rolled out to the fleet. I think (although not sure) that the Sunshine is getting it this fall. If I am incorrect I am sure someone will correct me. Mainly small changes, nothing to worry about.

Thank you that was very helpful.