Customer service an issue?

royal65

We're seriously considering our first Oceania cruise. I called O with some general questions and was met with vague nonresponsive answers and a "I can't wait to get off the phone attitude". On this site it seems as though most cruisers rave about the passenger service. I've probably had over a hundred customer service interactions with HAL and Princess and never a bad one. So, I'm having second thoughts about cruising with these folks. Anyone else experience shoddy treatment on the phone and is passenger service aboard O ships at least as good as Princess and Hal? Thanx for your responses.

I never had any major customer service problems here. As anywhere some people were more helpful than others. Same was true for onboard the ship. My experence on Princess is limited however IMO Oceania is miles ahead of HAL as is a rowboat. At the price point of Oceania if you are turned off this early in the game move on.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Forums mobile app

We're seriously considering our first Oceania cruise. I called O with some general questions and was met with vague nonresponsive answers and a "I can't wait to get off the phone attitude". On this site it seems as though most cruisers rave about the passenger service. I've probably had over a hundred customer service interactions with HAL and Princess and never a bad one. So, I'm having second thoughts about cruising with these folks. Anyone else experience shoddy treatment on the phone and is passenger service aboard O ships at least as good as Princess and Hal? Thanx for your responses.

I have no information about Princess or HAL as I have not sailed those lines, but guest service aboard the ships has always been top notch for us and, according to reports, for most of those posting on Cruise Critic. There are the occasional guests who post poor reports of service, but careful analysis is they are generally about matters that may not have been trivial to them, but are often trivial to most of us (a recent example was a complaint about the number of pens available to fill out the health forms prior to boarding, something over which the cruise line has no control.)

However, many folks report poor telephone service from main office representatives. I have not experienced that problem, because I deal with a travel agent thoroughly familiar with Oceania, and ask all my questions of her. On the rare occasions she does not know the answer, she knows who to contact.

Calling the general representatives is a hit or miss proposition, with some of the knowledgeable and others clueless. However, I find this true of most companies today. The answer is HUACA -- Hang Up And Call Again. No matter how many times you repeat this, you will likely get a different answer -- and a different attitude -- each time. This applies not just to Oceania; try calling the IRS with a question!

There are just a few reliable sources for information -- the company website (which is not the best but not the worst), your own research, a great travel agent -- and -- asking your questions here on Cruise Critic. While there is occasional disagreement or faulty memories, the last is probably the fastest and easiest way to get information. There are no silly questions.

I rarely call Oceania but on Tuesday did have a very specific question about an upcoming cruise regrading the embarkation point, nothing to do with booking, paying, etc. I was connected to a live person in less than 30 seconds after pressing '2' for 'already booked cruises' and the very gracious gentleman provided the answer almost immediately after I gave him the booking number.

Just a recent experience - not a comment on every call.

I also had a very pleasant interaction with an Oceania representative this week! :D She (Anne) told me that if I ever needed any questions answered to call her personal number. She told me this even though she knew that I would be transferring my booking to a large online TA for extra perks. Of course, she will not be able to discuss the actual reservation with me anymore, but would answer any questions I had about Oceania and the Riviera. :)

Edited by Iamthesea