Any advantages calling NCL to book vs. using online? (special occasion)

MastaBlasta

My wife and I decided to cruise NCL (1st time) for our 5yr. wedding anniversary. I tried searching this topic without much luck, I'm just wondering if anyone got lucky while calling to book and was given a little extra for the same price?

My strategy would be to have a room selected and ready online and then call to complete the transaction and compare pricing.

Thoughts/experiences?

Thanks!

Google to find the "best price" on cruises and then see if the travel agent is offering something additional to what NCL is offering - usually it is some onboard credit. If you can't find a better deal online, then book direct through NCL's website. I know of at least one online travel agency that offers cheaper rates than NCL does on their website - usually it is a one day flash sale.

Edited by SuiteTraveler

My wife and I decided to cruise NCL (1st time) for our 5yr. wedding anniversary. I tried searching this topic without much luck, I'm just wondering if anyone got lucky while calling to book and was given a little extra for the same price?

My strategy would be to have a room selected and ready online and then call to complete the transaction and compare pricing.

Thoughts/experiences?

Thanks!

There are tons of threads on CC regarding why it is better to use the "right" TA. For example:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2227962

Avoid older NCL ships.Look for ship reviews and deck plans. Only book cabins with passenger cabins above, NOT public spaces. Avoid lowest deck and bow. Discount cruise agencies will usually give several hundreds in OBC, ASK. Holidays and school vacation bring crowds and excessive children.Mid Sept. highest probability of Caribbean Hurricane.Weeks after Thanksgiving and early Dec. bring excellent pricing and weather.

The main reason lots of us use Cruise Agencies is to save money! Most of the time the price of the cruise will be the same on a cruise/travel agency web site as the cruise line's own site (there are exceptions for promotions and group rates). But most decent cruise agencies will give additional amenities such as on board credits (called OBCs), pre paid gratuities, free meals in alternative restaurants, etc. On longer more expensive cruises we have saved thousands of dollars on a single cruise by simply shopping among several or our favorite agencies. On typical short cruises (such as 7 days) the savings will be a lot less, but often will approximate 7-10% of the cruise fare.

Hank

The only difference between the NCL website and their phone service is - if you want to switch trip reservations after booking it on the website, you have to cancel completely on the phone and technically wait for your refund back(which takes days/weeks). While if you made the original reservation on the phone, they just automatically switch it without cancelling anything. I know, weird.....

I would check pricing on line and then get with a TA to see what they can do for you in the way of amenities.

Keith

That's the plan.

Thanks for all the feedback, we're going to meet with a popular TA in our area this weekend and see what they can do for us.

I'll report back with what they could do.