Pillow chocolates

msh711

I like the idea about having the steward leave them each night. I never even ate the chocolates, but miss them anyway. My husband would collect them all (my son doesn't eat them either) and he would have one each night and bring the others home. He would have them each night until they were gone!

My son is 23 now. We were lucky enough to be able to make a family vacation a priority each year. We ALL have great memories of the vacations. If you have a little extra money, you can order things from the fun shops and have it delivered at different intervals of the cruise. You can order cotton candy for $4, cookies for $6, flip flops for $8! Lots of fun stuff! When you order it you can specify when and where you want it delivered. You can order a cake for $10 and they will deliver it to the MDR and sing to you.

Enjoy your cruise!!!!

+1 on the cake suggestion. Very good cakes. Wish I would have found out about them earlier than I did. The cake would make for a special night. Also if you don't finish it that evening, they will keep it refrigerated for you until the next evening.

Such great ideas about the nightly gifts and playing cards. Thanks so much!

Do the kids have their own cabin? When we cruised with our kids I would sneak in their cabin the first day & decorate it with decorations themed to either cruising or the ports of call, streamers, etc. Then I would put a sign on the outside of the door to decorate it as well. They always loved it.

Do the kids have their own cabin? When we cruised with our kids I would sneak in their cabin the first day & decorate it with decorations themed to either cruising or the ports of call, streamers, etc. Then I would put a sign on the outside of the door to decorate it as well. They always loved it.

No, we will be sharing a balcony. But I'm sure there will be opportunities to sneak things in.

Instead of chocolates, you can make a tradition of ordering a plate of room service cookies and milk each night.

You beat me to it! I was going to suggest this as well! The room service chocolate chip cookies are really good. What a treat (other than a cruise) a plate of milk and cookies would be for kids before bedtime.

Also you could always order them a treat from the Bon Voyage department to be delivered to the room when you embark on the ship!

I wish they'd dump the towl animals and give back the chocolates.

NOOOOOO! Love the towel animals! We can bring a bag of the Ande's mints if they are that important, I can't make towel animals! :D

• 5 months later...

The chocolates weren't that good, but they were very memorable to my kids. They were quite disappointed that they don't get them anymore. It's very inexpensive, they should bring them back. They've taken away too many memorable things over the years.

I wish they'd dump the towl animals and give back the chocolates.

I've sailed enough that the towel animals are no longer a novel experience and the chocolates always ended up at the bottom of one of my suitcases. Nice for a snack and a fun memory after unpacking from the cruise.

I loved the experience at first and I can understand the OP wanting the experience for her children.

Now that i'm thinking about it I may ask our cabin steward to just skip the animals. It might make it easier during a busy time. Does each steward create his/her own animals or do they get them from "Towel Animal Storage" each night?:rolleyes:

Ok, the 18 year old is an adult, and the 15 year old? Why not just tell them the truth, the candy fairy was downsized!:D

This !! Especially with the ages of the kids. Might be important if they were younger.

Set a bag of chocolates out in the cabin somewhere, the teens can grab one when the urge strikes them.

Edited by lizardhowson

Ever since they changed the candies some years back (they use to have that choc/mint taste) we don't miss them. I just always saved them thru the week and brought them home for the grandkids because they liked them. I remember one trip asking our steward for a few extra to take home and he gave us and ENTIRE BAG!!!

See, that's why Carnival cut back on the chocolates! Over generous room stewards! Ours did the same thing. LOL! When I told the kids that we booked a cruise, the first thing they said was, "Yummy, the nighttime chocolates"! Let me break the news to them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So it is my understanding that the chocolate on the pillows is no longer a thing. I am bummed because this is only our second cruise (first with carnival) and the first with the kiddos (18 & 15) and the kids thought it was a neat when I told them they do this. So I wonder if I provided the chocolate and a tip if my cabin steward would place them for the kiddos?

Yeah, they are gone. First they swapped out the real chocolate with something you couldn't even call chocolate, and then got rid of them when THEY said people didn't like the chocolate, or didn't care.

Hello, something with Ghiardella or Godiva on the pillow doesn't last long.

Something with CARNIVAL SWEET DREAM on it ends up in the garbage (there's a reason you don't see private label chocolate in the cany aisle of the supermarket/stationary store).

If it was such an expense,they should have raised the fare $1.79 per person.

You are taking them on a cruise. I think that would be experience enough.

For me the chocolate on the pillow was never a big deal. Took 2 cruises to notice they didn't do it anymore. They candy was horrible and just got dumped in the trash anyway.

If you think putting a chocolate on their pillow that they know you brought will add to their fun, I don't see why the steward would not do it for you. Just put them in a drawer and tell them where they are.

Heck, my kids are in their 30's and do not believe in the Easter Bunny, but they still get an Easter basket. Instead of being filled with bunnies and candy it is not filled with socks and batteries and such, and instead of a basket, it is something useful like a large bowl or a laundry basket, but I think they would be very disappointed not to get that "basket".

I'm nearly 30 and when my coworker found out my mom doesn't give me any Easter goodies at all anymore, she was appalled and every year she gives me a goody bag. It's sweet she's known me since I was 16.

As for the OPs kids, if it helps once college is over and things slow down, I'm sure you will be able to go on family trips again. Me and my mommy are going to NOLA in feb and I travel with my dad almost every summer. I look forward to family vacations 😁

I am certainly open to any other suggestions to make it special for them. They have never been anywhere except to visit family so this is a big deal to us. Thanks :)

Take them to the Steakhouset to have a great family diner/evening.

Our kids where also 15 & 18 when we took them on a cruise and they loved that Steakhouse experience

Yeah, they are gone. First they swapped out the real chocolate with something you couldn't even call chocolate, and then got rid of them when THEY said people didn't like the chocolate, or didn't care.

Hello, something with Ghiardella or Godiva on the pillow doesn't last long.

Something with CARNIVAL SWEET DREAM on it ends up in the garbage (there's a reason you don't see private label chocolate in the cany aisle of the supermarket/stationary store).

If it was such an expense,they should have raised the fare $1.79 per person.

Dont know if they did it with the chocolate but they are known to manipulate passengers like this.

This was our first cruise without the chocolates. I would bring them home and have one occasionally and think about being on our cruise. Missed not having them in the cabin when we returned. Loved the towel animals. We did. A B2B and had 14 different ones - no repeats.