Anyone fly into Lauderdale for a Miami Cruise? If so how do you get to the MIA Port?

RecoveryDude

I'm thinking of taking a cruise out of Miami - I'm checking airfare to both MIA and FLL - it's possible I may save money flying into Lauderdale vs Miami - but if I do that, will it be a hassle/much extra expense to get a transfer to the ship?

I don't mind paying for the Carnival transfer, however, it seems to me that I read somewhere you CAN'T get FTTF if you have a carnival transfer, not sure if thats true or not???

Thanks for any advice or experience any of you experts can share with me!!!!

--Jeff aka Recovery Dude

So sorry that I can't remember who we used but look online and there are plenty of shuttle services that run from Ft. Lauderdale to the port of Miami. We did this and it was painless. Arranged for the shuttle to take us from FLL airport to the hotel, get us from the hotel to the Port of Miami the next day and then take us from the Port to the FLL airport after the cruise. Price was reasonable and service was exceptional.

I've done it & will be flying into FLL again for my Ecstasy cruise in a couple of weeks. I'm using SAS transportation. They charge $15 per person. I've also used QLS and would recommend them also. It's pretty easy - no hassle. Just call them when u get your luggage and they will be there within 15 minutes - maybe less.

How long should I allow for this transfer? about an hour? (15 min wait for the shuttle after I call them then 45 min to the port?)

Thanks!

Jeff aka Recovery Dude

More than likely the shuttle will already be there waiting on you outside baggage claim as long as they know your airline and flight arrival time. The drive to Port of Miami from the Ft. Lauderdale airport is about 40 minutes if traffic is good.

I have used SAS Shuttle in the past as someone else mentioned them earlier.

Easy peasy. Check out the Florida Departures board here, under North American Homeports. They deal with this question every day. We used SAS (ridesas.com) for $15pp. they will also pick up at the POM and take you to FLL airport after the cruise. EM

i have done it a couple times. the last time i used the carnival shuttle. and i will never use that option again. i arrived at FLL and got my luggage by 9:30 am. we sat by the carnival kiosk for almost 2 hours before we were taken to our bus. i am researching another miami cruise and have done some cab research. from POM to FLL the estimated fare should be around $70. we have a group of 4 so it is better to just get a cab then use a shuttle.

i used the below web site for miami area taxi fares.

http://www.enjoymiamibeach.com/Miami_taxi_fare_guide.htm

We also used Go. I like hassle free and willing to pay for it. Didn't want to have to wait on a shuttle or search. We also use FLL as we can use companion ticket from Seattle on Alaska. We used a private car with driver meeting us at baggage claim. With tip it was about $100. Dropped us at holiday inn front door. Was well worth it to me and going to do the same in April.

I've used QLS (http://www.qualitylimoservice.com/) and been very happy with it, But I've read good things about SAS that other people have mentioned too. I think they are basically equivalent.

Incidentally, if you are flying into FLL a day early you can get picked up at your Ft. Lauderdale hotel the morning of the cruise for the ride to the Miami port as well. At least through QLS, and probably SAS too though I can't say for sure. They do charge a couple more dollars per person than the airport fare for that.

We have used JR Shuttles three times and they are great. Check out their web page and give them a call. They pick you up outside airport and take you to the port and will stop at a place to pick up drinks and wine if you want them to. Very good service.

I'm thinking of taking a cruise out of Miami - I'm checking airfare to both MIA and FLL - it's possible I may save money flying into Lauderdale vs Miami - but if I do that, will it be a hassle/much extra expense to get a transfer to the ship?

I don't mind paying for the Carnival transfer, however, it seems to me that I read somewhere you CAN'T get FTTF if you have a carnival transfer, not sure if thats true or not???

Thanks for any advice or experience any of you experts can share with me!!!!

--Jeff aka Recovery Dude

We've flown into/out of FLL for Miami cruises many times. We used SAS each time for $15 pp.

The Carnival shuttle is double the price.

How long should I allow for this transfer? about an hour? (15 min wait for the shuttle after I call them then 45 min to the port?)

Thanks!

Jeff aka Recovery Dude

Oh, not even close.

Every time we booked SAS online, we were told to call the driver (a number was provided in the confirmation email) when we retrieved our luggage. EVERY TIME the driver called my cell phone as soon as the plane began debarkation. We were instructed to call back when our luggage was retrieved. Every time we waited less than five minutes for the shuttle.

The ride from FLL to Port of Miami or a downtown Miami hotel was about 25 minutes.

http://www.gojiffyjeff.com/.

I`ve flown into Fort Lauderdale and cruised from Miami several times. We`ve cruised from Fort Lauderdale several times as well and used different shuttle services. Most of them have been fine.

However I can truly say Jiffy Jeff Transportation is the very best

He has a fleet of new Mercedes-Benz Vans, is very punctual, and accommodating. The price is good as well.

I highly recommend them.

The ride from FLL to Port of Miami or a downtown Miami hotel was about 25 minutes.[/color][/size][/font]

Must be a typo - the ride from FLL to POM/downtown Miami hotels takes closer to 45-60 minutes.