Beverage Package - Worth it or not?

I posted this under the New Cruisers page, but was suggested I try here ---

My partner and I are taking our first cruise (I know...I'm super excited!!) in September (Royal Caribbean International, Majesty of the Seas, 9/14-9/18) this year. We aren't worried about excursions, this site has some great ideas on where to look and the roll call page has lots of links to browse. Please, don’t think I’m lazy and haven’t looked this up… What I can't decide is the beverage packages. I can't figure this out!!

Can we purchase the package appropriate for us each day?

Does the beverage package have to be bought before the cruise?

What beverages are included for the price of the cruise?

What does the Refreshment Package, $6/day/person add to that?

What does the Replenish Package, $22/day/person add to Refreshment?

See where I'm going here – I just need a simple list of add-ons…I can’t decipher the website to save my life!!! LOL

What about the Select Package, $41/day/person?

Is the $46 Evian package a flat price for a set # of bottles? If so, how many bottles?

And the $58/day/person Premium Package?

Finally - the $65/day/person Ultimate Package?

Is the $81 Evian package a per DAY cost for just the bottled water? Or does it also cover the Ultimate package + Evian bottles???

I don’t know – I guess my decision can be guided if I knew the price points for per item purchases of beverages (and if soda has gratuity 15% added or only alcoholic) – thank you!

To answer some of questions:

You do not have to purchase before the cruise, you can purchase on board as long as there are at least 4 days left in the cruise. Once you purchase, it has to last until the end of the cruise. For example, you cannot have a package on day 1, skip days 2 and 3, then have it on day 4.

This should help with what is included:

http://media.royalcaribbean.com/content/shared_assets/pdf/menus/beverage_packages.pdf

Beverages included with the basic cruise fare: tap water, coffee, hot tea, iced tea, lemonade, milk, juices at breakfast.

The bottled water packages are not unlimited packages, they are for a specific number of bottles.

Edited by clarea

I think the only thing not answered by the PDF Bob linked is the refreshment package - it is unlimited fountain soda. On Majesty this means from any bar or restaurant, on some other ship they also have self serve machines.

I think the only thing not answered by the PDF Bob linked is the refreshment package - it is unlimited fountain soda. On Majesty this means from any bar or restaurant, on some other ship they also have self serve machines.

The Refreshment package is on the bottom left of the PDF.

Yes, but it just says the price, not what is included

This was my biggest issue - just a simple break down of WHAT is covered... They never say "Included in the price of the cruise is...." and then the "Refreshment package will add unlimited fountain drinks" and then what the next package adds.

I appreciate all your help in this guys!!

When others cruise, what packages have you bought?

To answer some of questions:

You do not have to purchase before the cruise, you can purchase on board as long as there are at least 4 days left in the cruise. Once you purchase, it has to last until the end of the cruise. For example, you cannot have a package on day 1, skip days 2 and 3, then have it on day 4.

This should help with what is included:

http://media.royalcaribbean.com/content/shared_assets/pdf/menus/beverage_packages.pdf

Beverages included with the basic cruise fare: tap water, coffee, hot tea, iced tea, lemonade, milk, juices at breakfast.

The bottled water packages are not unlimited packages, they are for a specific number of bottles.

Thank you Bob! This PDF is definitely more descriptive than the web page I kept getting directed to! So - thoughts on value? Or does anyone know base costs of some drinks to know if it's worth the package v buying as we go?

Thank you Bob! This PDF is definitely more descriptive than the web page I kept getting directed to! So - thoughts on value? Or does anyone know base costs of some drinks to know if it's worth the package v buying as we go?

Virtually all cocktails are $12 now.

Virtually all cocktails are $12 now.

Just got off Independence and I found I was not able to justify buying 12.00 cocktails based on some internal principle that I wasn't aware I had. Especially since the two drink I did buy (cashed in on 2 for 1 margaritas) weren't all that great and seemed pretty light on tequila. I stuck to beer ($6.00ish) or free diamond drinks the rest of the cruise.

If you plan to drink regularly, you're better off with the package.

I can't recall if Majesty does only short cruises. I don't know how I would feel about the packages if it were only for a short cruise- whether it is worth it or not. I know the price would be less as it is per person per day.

We did one a 7 day cruise on Freedom in April. My husband and I are not big drinkers, but we like to have some drinks on occasion. At home, we might drink a bottle of wine in one weekend. So a glass a night for each of us. Maybe a couple of beers instead, depending on where we are or what's available. But that's not even an "every weekend" thing. We will relax and enjoy ourselves on a cruise as there is no designated driver concern. As the drink prices have gone up "per drink" we decided to try it this time. We did the Premium package. We found that it was well worth the price as my husband would drink at least 4-6 beers a night (some during the day). I would usually have at least one frozen drink per day and then a couple of drinks at night (I think I was spending at least $36 a day in bar drinks) plus it gave us a percentage off of bottles of wine each night (I think 20%). So if we picked a pricier bottle of wine that played into our decision. With the Premium, you do get bottled water but it's not like Evian or anything super special. Premium also includes the soda package component. If you had to pay for sodas individually, I don't know what that would cost- probably about $2-4 each?) The Freedom had self serve machines. I would usually drink 3-4 drinks from that per day. It did have flavored waters and all of the other features a Coca Cola Freestyle machine contains.

If you are primarily a basic beer drinker and have an occasional glass of wine- the Select package should get you through. If you do liquor drinks and craft beer or higher end beers and maybe a discounted bottle of wine (nicer)- go for the Premium. You do also get bottled water on that package.

If you think you will do special coffee drinks (from what I hear Starbucks drinks are not included, but don't know if they do Starbucks on Majesty), special juices and all top shelf stuff- you might be okay with the Ultimate package. I think that's a bit much myself as I could never drink enough of anything to justify that cost.

Haven't really told you what's included, but how I made my decision on the package.

Thanks for that site. After deciding to buy, I went into my Cruise Planner and the prices sure have gone up since that 2/17/15 pdf.

Premium is now $58 from $49 and Ultimate is $65 and was $55. :eek:

It didn't really change, when it was 49.00 they would then add in the gratuity. The 58.00 has the grats built in. So it is really the same.

We usually get the Premium. I can drink my coctails, have a glass of soda/pop, and still get a bottle of water.

I can't recall if Majesty does only short cruises. I don't know how I would feel about the packages if it were only for a short cruise- whether it is worth it or not. I know the price would be less as it is per person per day.

We did one a 7 day cruise on Freedom in April. My husband and I are not big drinkers, but we like to have some drinks on occasion. At home, we might drink a bottle of wine in one weekend. So a glass a night for each of us. Maybe a couple of beers instead, depending on where we are or what's available. But that's not even an "every weekend" thing. We will relax and enjoy ourselves on a cruise as there is no designated driver concern. As the drink prices have gone up "per drink" we decided to try it this time. We did the Premium package. We found that it was well worth the price as my husband would drink at least 4-6 beers a night (some during the day). I would usually have at least one frozen drink per day and then a couple of drinks at night (I think I was spending at least $36 a day in bar drinks) plus it gave us a percentage off of bottles of wine each night (I think 20%). So if we picked a pricier bottle of wine that played into our decision. With the Premium, you do get bottled water but it's not like Evian or anything super special. Premium also includes the soda package component. If you had to pay for sodas individually, I don't know what that would cost- probably about $2-4 each?) The Freedom had self serve machines. I would usually drink 3-4 drinks from that per day. It did have flavored waters and all of the other features a Coca Cola Freestyle machine contains.

If you are primarily a basic beer drinker and have an occasional glass of wine- the Select package should get you through. If you do liquor drinks and craft beer or higher end beers and maybe a discounted bottle of wine (nicer)- go for the Premium. You do also get bottled water on that package.

If you think you will do special coffee drinks (from what I hear Starbucks drinks are not included, but don't know if they do Starbucks on Majesty), special juices and all top shelf stuff- you might be okay with the Ultimate package. I think that's a bit much myself as I could never drink enough of anything to justify that cost.

Haven't really told you what's included, but how I made my decision on the package.

This is great information!! Thank you all - so much - for the information!

Has anyone else noticed the price increase of many excursions.

In two weeks the two I was thinking of doing have gone up by almost $10, now I am wondering if I should book them before they go up more but my cruise isn't until April. Don't know what to do, any suggestions?

Edited by kimlet
wrong thread

Is there any type of discount to buying online or onboard with the soda package? Can you check bottled water?

Same price online or pre-cruise. Bottled water is technically prohibited, but usually allowed.

Has anyone else noticed the price increase of many excursions.

In two weeks the two I was thinking of doing have gone up by almost $10, now I am wondering if I should book them before they go up more but my cruise isn't until April. Don't know what to do, any suggestions?

If you are looking at the price in CDN$ it is do to the exchange rate. They are now charging around a 30% premium on excursions, drink packages and dining.

Buy the US$ OBC and book everything on board except for those absolute must do excursions.

Thanks for the input (my thoughts exactly!)

For my own benefit - did you and your husband find that you were drinking more knowing that you had the package - or is that the amount of beers and cocktails you would have had anyway?

We found we drank the same amount either way - but MUCH less expensive with the package. (And SO much more fun.)

Majesty has Coca-Cola Freestyle machines, too, that would be included as part of the package.

Pardon me, you're absolutely right. Incredible (but par for the course for Royal) that they don't say anything about it.

It seems that they updated the PDF since you posted that and it now says "Includes: Unlimited fountain soda with CocaCola® souvenir cup" next to the Royal Refreshment package.