Chtistmas Market Shopping strategies

Thyme2cruise

We like to collect snow globes wherever we go. As an aside, we only found one in China and that was at the Great Wall. Really interesting that they don't seem to have them there.

In Paris last year, we bought a really nice one with the Eiffel Tower in the Paris airport. It was wrapped in a sealed plastic bag from the airport shop. I put it in my carryon backpack and when we landed in Washington, it was confiscated as I went through security for the flight home to NOLA. No amount of complaining or explaining what it was and where it came from to three levels of security management got me anywhere. :mad:

My point is that if you bring back any souvenirs with liquids, put them in your checked bags or they will most likely be confiscated upon arrival in the USA.

We like to collect snow globes wherever we go. As an aside, we only found one in China and that was at the Great Wall. Really interesting that they don't seem to have them there.

In Paris last year, we bought a really nice one with the Eiffel Tower in the Paris airport. It was wrapped in a sealed plastic bag from the airport shop. I put it in my carryon backpack and when we landed in Washington, it was confiscated as I went through security for the flight home to NOLA. No amount of complaining or explaining what it was and where it came from to three levels of security management got me anywhere. :mad:

My point is that if you bring back any souvenirs with liquids, put them in your checked bags or they will most likely be confiscated upon arrival in the USA.

Thanks for the heads up....I love snow globes and frequently buy them, but I've never put them in my carry-on. What a shame...I don't understand the motivations of security sometimes....did they think you had somehow filled it with explosive liquid and were going to break it on board? Ridiculous. And since you purchased it in an airport it was in the sealed bag for duty free. I have never had one of those challenged.

Edited by Hydrokitty

I printed some photos I had of the marquetry floors at Versailles and decoupaged them onto an ornament - voila, funky ornament with a lovely reminder of one of my favorite features of that palace:D (we visited in November so the gardens & fountains weren't the feature they are in the spring & summer - and all the gilding just makes me blind. But the floors, and the window hardware? Ooh la la!)

What a great idea! It's been several years since I've decoupaged anything but I guess the white goup is still available or maybe a different medium? What type of paper did you use? Thanks for sharing:)

Mod Podge!!!! You can buy different finishes too (shiny, matte etc). I printed photos at Costco (upload online, 5c per 4X6 photo or something ridiculously cheap like that). I bought some "blank" ornaments from A.C. Moore (JoAnn fabric, Michaels Crafts etc have the same) I happened to use round and heart shaped paper mache ornaments about 3" in diameter, but I'm sure you could use a flat balsa wood form or a round glass form too - sky's the limit:D Literally took 5 minutes to glue, dry overnight & ready to go. You could get fancier and edge with ribbon or tons of other things. I'm a little crafty but not Martha Stewart by any means. (she is an idol, so.... :p)

Mod Podge!!!! You can buy different finishes too (shiny, matte etc). I printed photos at Costco (upload online, 5c per 4X6 photo or something ridiculously cheap like that). I bought some "blank" ornaments from A.C. Moore (JoAnn fabric, Michaels Crafts etc have the same) I happened to use round and heart shaped paper mache ornaments about 3" in diameter, but I'm sure you could use a flat balsa wood form or a round glass form too - sky's the limit:D Literally took 5 minutes to glue, dry overnight & ready to go. You could get fancier and edge with ribbon or tons of other things. I'm a little crafty but not Martha Stewart by any means. (she is an idol, so.... :p)

Mod Podge! So it's still around-good to know. I always use Costco on line for photos and Christmas cards too. Thanks for all the details-sounds like a fun project.

Mod Podge! So it's still around-good to know. I always use Costco on line for photos and Christmas cards too. Thanks for all the details-sounds like a fun project.

I always used them for photos too until I discovered that Shutterfly is easier and cheaper for 4x6 prints....if you're looking for 8x10 then Costco is cheaper.

Strasbourg is known for its gingerbread. Yummy

Didn't buy any in Strasbourg.. we were very spoiled after getting it in Nuremberg - and actually found some Elisen Liebkuchen on the Rhine when we were there!!

Fran

I'd like to pass on the information that for people returning home to the US from their Christmas market cruise, those wonderfully fragrant dried fruit ornaments we saw in Budapest are not permissible as they contain orange and/or other citrus components.

From the US Customs website: Spices- most dried spices are allowed except for orange, lemon, lime and other citrus leaves and seeds, lemongrass, and many vegetable and fruit seeds

I'd like to pass on the information that for people returning home to the US from their Christmas market cruise, those wonderfully fragrant dried fruit ornaments we saw in Budapest are not permissible as they contain orange and/or other citrus components.

From the US Customs website: Spices- most dried spices are allowed except for orange, lemon, lime and other citrus leaves and seeds, lemongrass, and many vegetable and fruit seeds

Good to know....if you really want one, they're not hard to make we did them in Girl Scouts....take an orange, completely cover it with whole cloves. then thread a large eye needle with yarn and push it through the top of the orange, knot it at the bottom and form a lop with a double knotted bow. It will last for years but unless you have a really large tree it's too heavy to hang on the tree. I used to hang mine from the dining room chandelier. Also works with lemons.

If you are making a stop in Bratislava I would recommend you ask someone where the "oldest gift shop" in Bratislava is. They sell the award winning chocalates produced in Bratislava. I think they have won the competition the past two years. My wife loves dark chocolate and they make an 85%. We also found the most beautifully painted egg ornaments there of any we saw. I believe the guide said everything in this shop is local in nature. It is just around the corner from the Christmas Market.