Chtistmas Market Shopping strategies

Thyme2cruise

I rarely eat sweets but cannot resist Trdelník when they are fresh and an occasional lebkuchen ( I generally buy for my husband and "share" one of his). Tried a schneeball years ago in ROTB and tossed it after one bite.

I love the weisswurst grilled crispy, on crusty bread. I never eat sausage at home but do enjoy the ones in Germany.

As for gluhwein, I have one or two over the course of a week or two but am not a big fan of the taste.

Thankfully we put on a lot of miles every day and have yet to get home with a weight gain.

Not a sausage fan, but since we going foodie here one of the best pastries I ever had was in Colmar and it was a plum tart. I can't walk like I used to so I have to be super careful when we're cruising. I try to confine myself to fruits and veggies and only eat what they give me! That way I figure the occasional chimney bread or plum tart or eiswine won't do too much damage. :D

• 3 weeks later...

I see gluhwein (sp?) mentioned for the taste but the mugs it is served in are unique to each market we visited. The mugs are a keepsake worth collecting. Gluhwein I guess is an acquired taste. We usually made it through a mug just for the mug. Some markets also sold their beer in unique glasses or mugs which are also collectible for any beer drinkers.

My other advice....if you see it....buy it. Each market can be different and you may not see it again.

Not necessarily local made in all cases but if it's a once in a lifetime trip don't regret something you should of, could of bought....but didn't.

I have a Glühwein mug from Bonn. Although I went on a day trip there years ago, it was special enough for me to remember the day these days when I look at the mug.

So, yes, a nice momento. I tend to look for special liqueurs by local destilleries. But if you see something that is not locally made but somewhat unique in the special setting I think that item is also worth buying.

In Koblenz there is (hopefully this year as well) a stall selling Moravian Christmas stars. They are made of paper to hang up (you put a light bulb in). They are symbolic and unique to that Christian congregation. For me they are part of the run-up to Christmas day.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid

I'd rather buy a nutcracker for $50 at TJMaxx than pay $250 for the same one in a Christmas market. No exaggeration on the prices. I have been in markets in Dresden, Nuremberg, Munich, Budapest, Prague, Vienna. This year, Strasbourg, Colmar, Paris, Luxembourg City, Brussels, Ghent, Brugges, Cologne, Ypres, and Antwerp. Believe me, the prices are horrendous. But the atmosphere is great.

I'd rather buy a nutcracker for $50 at TJMaxx than pay $250 for the same one in a Christmas market. No exaggeration on the prices. I have been in markets in Dresden, Nuremberg, Munich, Budapest, Prague, Vienna. This year, Strasbourg, Colmar, Paris, Luxembourg City, Brussels, Ghent, Brugges, Cologne, Ypres, and Antwerp. Believe me, the prices are horrendous. But the atmosphere is great.

My best strategy is to find the one/s that you want , copy down the info and take a picture,and then when you return home look them up on Wayfair.com. I saw 2 today in Bamburg that I will order next week when I get back. They have plenty of stock,at about half the price. They will be at my doorstep in aprox. 4 days., and I don't have to carry them home. Works well if you are ordering Steinbach or Ulbricht, esp the detailed ones. No one will ever know that you didn't buy it in Germany! . TJ Maxx is fine if you happen upon the exact one you want, but for me, that rarely happens.

Am decorating for Christmas right now. I pulled out our glass hand painted ornament that we bought in the Christmas markets last year. To me, that's what it's all about. Not the expensive clocks and nutcrackers but the little thing that makes my brain remember where I was last year.

Am decorating for Christmas right now. I pulled out our glass hand painted ornament that we bought in the Christmas markets last year. To me, that's what it's all about. Not the expensive clocks and nutcrackers but the little thing that makes my brain remember where I was last year.

Ditto as we hung our ceramic snow flake from a ceramic artist's stand in Rudesheim. Ornaments are the only souvenir we collect when we travel (other than things we use up that we buy at grocery stores) Usually quite affordable and easy to pack. They don't always have to be sold as an "ornament" either - we also use key chains, bottle openers, and coins we've drilled through:p

If I wanted a nutcracker, sure I might look at TJ Maxx. But if I wanted a memory of my vacation, it wouldn't be something I bought at TJ Maxx. So I think we're talking at cross-purposes to a certain extent.

I have collected some lovely ornaments on our travels - and not all were gathered on our Christmas market cruise.

In Prague, I found a store that takes garnet shards, mixes them with epoxy and puts them in metal frames - like sun catchers. Bought a few when we were there about 6 years ago - and found the store again this year when we went back - so bought some for gifts.

Wooden ornaments are easy to pack - so I look for some everywhere we stop. Gift shops in various churches/cathedrals are also a good place to find some lovely ornaments.

In Basel, we went to Johann Wanner's shop... what a feast for the eyes!! We went to an old shop in down town - I think it now is the Christmas Parlour shop - and then went to go into the Christmas store --> but were chased out by a very rude shop keeper as she thought my umbrella was too wet to be in the store!! (The umbrella holder wasn't easily visible so didn't see it when we entered...)

I have visited various Kathe Wolfhart shops - but generally find them quite over priced.

Found a great box of straw ornaments in a tourist shop across the street from the Mechanical Museum in Rudesheim. And there is a Christmas shop in the old town section of Strasbourg that is amazing. I was looking for straw ornaments (preferable garlands) and found a good selection there.

Thought I would be out of luck in China (given that it is not a Christian country...) - but did find some lovely cloissonne ornaments along the way.

I always have tissue and bubble wrap in my luggage.. just in case!!

Fran

Edited by franski

Thought I would be out of luck in China (given that it is not a Christian country...) - but did find some lovely cloissonne ornaments along the way.

I too have a cloisonne ornament from Beijing - and during one of my Shanghai trips, I bought some silk tassels and use those as ornaments. Not only do you not need a Christmas Market for Christmas ornaments, you don't even need something sold as an ornament :D

Kathe Wohlfart (sp?) shops are all over Germany, in almost every large market also. There isn't anything in the that can't be bought in Christmas stores in most large cities,USA or otherwise. The flagship store in Rothenberg ob der Tauber is truly worth the time to walk thru. It is HUGE and the variety is staggering. Truly the "mother of all Christmas stores".

Last month I visited the Kathe Wollfahrt store in Stillwater , MN, the only US location. I found the prices even higher than the shop at the Frankfurt Christmas Market factoring in the Euro to USD at the Market. I just window shopped.

Today I enjoyed my coffee in the mug from last year's Vienna Chrustmas Market. It is heart shaped with a picture Rathaus (city or town hall) on it. Brought back good memories. I have found that if you just want the mug you can purchase one from the information booth at the markets.

I agree with the advice that if you see something you really like, buy it. Doesn't matter if it's a Christmas Market or just something you see other times of the year. I just hung my miniature wooden shoes from Amsterdam on our tree along with a metal book mark from Japan. Neither were actual ornaments but they are now!

Edited by purduemom1

Most stands will sell you the mug without the wine. Also, the stands often have other beverages that come in the mugs, hot chocolate, a non-alcoholic " kinderpunch", as well as several different types of gluhwein Red is traditional but I'm seeing a lot more stands with white wine based gluhwein, as well as many stands that add rum and other liquor to the standard gluhwein.

As a quick note: the same gluhwein sold in the stands is available bottled, and sold at Whole Foods. Also packets of mulled wine spices are sold at many market stalls. I mean really, you have to do something with all those mugs after you lug them home!!

I agree with the advice that if you see something you really like, buy it. Doesn't matter if it's a Christmas Market or just something you see other times of the year. I just hung my miniature wooden shoes from Amsterdam on our tree along with a metal book mark from Japan. Neither were actual ornaments but they are now!

My Christmas tree is almost exclusively ornaments I have bought on our trips. In some places I can't find actual ornaments, but then a key ring always works. My favorites are the Eiffel Tower and a Pyramid both key rings... originally..:D. And I love the Delft heart I bought in Delft and the handcut wooden ones from Germany, the decorated egg from Budapest and a metal bookmark from Pearl Harbor (they don't sell ornaments). I'm with you....every time I look at my tree I am transported back to where I've been and it makes me smile. I don't think I would get that same feeling from something I bought on line or at home.

Yes, I brought home several packets of mulling spices to give as gifts! That sort of thing is great for co-workers (at least, it is where I work :p)

We bought some packets of mulled wine spices in Germany a few years ago and on closer inspection of the back of the package we found that the spices were made in Colorado and shipped to Germany :eek::D.

Also, I saw some bottles of Gluhwein at Trader Joe's today. $7 .

We bought some packets of mulled wine spices in Germany a few years ago and on closer inspection of the back of the package we found that the spices were made in Colorado and shipped to Germany :eek::D.

Also, I saw some bottles of Gluhwein at Trader Joe's today. $7 .

Oh that's cold!!!! :eek: :D

Edited by Hydrokitty

My Christmas tree is almost exclusively ornaments I have bought on our trips. In some places I can't find actual ornaments, but then a key ring always works. My favorites are the Eiffel Tower and a Pyramid both key rings... originally..:D. And I love the Delft heart I bought in Delft and the handcut wooden ones from Germany, the decorated egg from Budapest and a metal bookmark from Pearl Harbor (they don't sell ornaments). I'm with you....every time I look at my tree I am transported back to where I've been and it makes me smile. I don't think I would get that same feeling from something I bought on line or at home.

I also have an Eiffel Tower on my tree. It's just one go the small souvenir towers but with a piece of fishing line, it's now an ornament. I think it's really fun to search out items that can become ornaments and as you said, the memories just make me smile.

I also have an Eiffel Tower on my tree. It's just one go the small souvenir towers but with a piece of fishing line, it's now an ornament. I think it's really fun to search out items that can become ornaments and as you said, the memories just make me smile.

Left over pieces of wrapping ribbon work too and you can change the color as often as you want!!

I printed some photos I had of the marquetry floors at Versailles and decoupaged them onto an ornament - voila, funky ornament with a lovely reminder of one of my favorite features of that palace:D (we visited in November so the gardens & fountains weren't the feature they are in the spring & summer - and all the gilding just makes me blind. But the floors, and the window hardware? Ooh la la!)

I printed some photos I had of the marquetry floors at Versailles and decoupaged them onto an ornament - voila, funky ornament with a lovely reminder of one of my favorite features of that palace:D (we visited in November so the gardens & fountains weren't the feature they are in the spring & summer - and all the gilding just makes me blind. But the floors, and the window hardware? Ooh la la!)

I envy your creativity and artistic ability.....I am not one of those people...the most creative thing I can do is remove the metal chain from the key ring and replace it with a piece of ribbon that I probably cut too short the first time and too long the second...I can spell decoupage, but that's about all :D