Upcoming Getaway Haven sailing advice ?

Keith.W

Hi, We are sailing in 3 weeks on September 19 in a forward penthouse we are looking for tips on what to expect. Have only done a med cruise and only had a studio and mini suite.

We have reserved our shows and dining, sent info to Pre Cruise concierge so all that's covered. Only for here i didn't know about the Pre Cruise Concierge as we don't receive a welcome pack or luggage tags as we are based in Ireland.

Pre Cruise we are staying in the Intercontinental Down Town Miami for 3 nights and then 1 night after cruise. The plan is to spend the remaining nights maby in a beach area such as FT Lauredale to wind down. Any suggestions on what to do for the remaining days ?

We have zero plans for the ports as of yet

St Thomas- Beach ( Magens Bay) Shopping and SkyRide

Tortola- I seen cab tours for 20$ that do be offered at the port so this might be an option. We would love to do the baths but with my dad after having back surgery. Any advice on what else we could do?

Nassau- Plan is to visit the grounds of the Atlantis, not enough time to spend in water park or spend it in a hotel with a day pass.

Any advice or help would be great :)

The best thing to do in Nassau is enjoy the empty ship and stay onboard.........there is nothing in Nassau that would top that.

As far as The Haven goes......it doesn't get any better than that.....did it last October and doing it again this October........actually have the same exact cabin this year.

Hi, We are sailing in 3 weeks on September 19 in a forward penthouse we are looking for tips on what to expect. Have only done a med cruise and only had a studio and mini suite.

We have reserved our shows and dining, sent info to Pre Cruise concierge so all that's covered. Only for here i didn't know about the Pre Cruise Concierge as we don't receive a welcome pack or luggage tags as we are based in Ireland.

Pre Cruise we are staying in the Intercontinental Down Town Miami for 3 nights and then 1 night after cruise. The plan is to spend the remaining nights maby in a beach area such as FT Lauredale to wind down. Any suggestions on what to do for the remaining days ?

Tortola- I seen cab tours for 20$ that do be offered at the port so this might be an option. We would love to do the baths but with my dad after having back surgery. Any advice on what else we could do?

Nassau- Plan is to visit the grounds of the Atlantis, not enough time to spend in water park or spend it in a hotel with a day pass.

Just some comments, we sailed on her sister ship, the Breakaway in a foward facing Haven Cabin and LOVED it! The cabin is very large with a full living/dining room, full sized bedroom with a large bathroom. The bathroom had a soaking tub, my 6'1" hubby loved it, a large stall shower two sinks and a bathroom tucked away in a small area. The butler was wonderful.

The Haven as people may have told you is heaven! We dined in a different speciality restaurant every day for dinner- loved the Hibatichi grill, Cagney's, La Cucina. Those were our favorites. Loved the private lounge for Haven guests . The Haven also has a wonderful restaurant. We typically enjoyed breakfast and most lunches every day. When you tour the ship, and look at the crowds at the pools and hot tubs, you will enjoy going (running) back to the haven to sit on plush lounge chairs. No crowds, more that adequate seating. The concierge was wonderful, helping assist shows, shore excursion and all of your requests. The shows were wonderful- I have not one complaint except that the cost of the cruise was very expensive. My DH and I will continue to sail on RC and Celebrity.

You will enjoy all of the islands- St. John's is also a nice option for your day in Nassau- beautiful beach. But the shopping is also fun. You can also enjoy the ship and all of the amenities of the Haven. Your father will truly love it! No need to run around at the ports.

You are truly in for a treat!! Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by Cruise a holic

You dad cannot do the baths after back surgery - there is no way that would be safe for him at all. What he could do, though is wait at the restaurant and bar at the top of the baths all day, look around the few shops up there and have the best pina colada and view! There is a freshwater pool at the restaurant - it really is a gorgeous place with plenty of shade and they are known for their excellent pina coladas. You all could go down to the baths and then come back up and join him at the restaurant and bar - probably 3 hours later.

Another way to do this would be to hire a boat to take you to the Baths and then he could relax on the boat all day while you swim into shore and climb around in the caves, enjoy the beach...

As far as what to do with the rest of your time, I say go down to the Florida Keys. That is the most amazing place and there are all kinds of resorts and B&B's down there, lots of nature and beauty and it's a gorgeous drive! You could stop and stay on various keys - of course end your southern progression at Key West and then drive back up. There is plenty of time to enjoy and see much!

http://www.fla-keys.com/thingstodo.cfm

http://www.keywesttravelguide.com

See the Ernest Hemingway Museum, ride the Conch Train, enjoy the beauty and nature. If you want to go upscale, then there is Little Palm Island

http://www.littlepalmisland.com/luxury-florida-resort-deals.aspx?/_vsrefdom=littlepalmisland-ppc&gclid=Cj0KEQjwx_WuBRDJ7tSK2-W0pJkBEiQAEWgR8JzgI-Eea49rRV6nidXfwVl9FLaKdNtK-HaLEgpYG8QaArPA8P8HAQ

Or stay at a family resort:

http://www.oceankey.com/key-west-resort-amenities.aspx?/_vsrefdom=oceankey-ppc&gclid=Cj0KEQjwx_WuBRDJ7tSK2-W0pJkBEiQAEWgR8PpRXxtBXui7N0Vhp4OkvsJeBsiiC8zxvJAe1v3sSCcaAg4W8P8HAQ

Or stay in a b&B

http://www.almondtreeinn.com/#close

It's all there and much more for your enjoyment to have a lovely time in Key West.

Don't forget to try the Key Lime Pie!

Ft. Lauderdale is alright but it's really just a bunch of high rise buildings and rather ho hum compared to the Keys.

Nassau - may I suggest Blue Lagoon for a lovely beach day? Much less expensive and better than very crowded and expensive Atlantis.

Edited by SuiteTraveler

For $8pp we went to brewers bay at Tortola, it was beautiful! You did get a somewhat tour since it is on the north end of the island..

Some also take a boat ride to Soggy Dollar.

There are some great tips in the Port Section of CC, especially Ocean Blue posts !

The Intercontinental is great, but contact them ahead of time and request a room with a view of the port.

You'll be able to see other cruise ships arrive and depart, and also the turning circle (where they spin to go back out the channel).

And if you get up early the day of *your* sailing, you'll be able to watch your ship arrive.

It's a terrific way to "start" the cruise :)

GeezerCouple