Will need minimum 4 rooms January 2017

Buffalofirsttimer4

OK, I know I'm very early on this request but I am going to be in need of a minimum of 4 rooms (probably will need 5).

We are 15 people (13 Adults, 2 Teenage boys & 1 toddler) traveling to FLL on 1/7/17 needing overnight accommodations before we board Carnival Vista @ POM on 1/8/17. it is most cost effective to fly into FLL -so we will not be flying into Miami.

Don't want to spend more than $225 a room- yes I know we are in peak season and I have been doing some checking (mock booking using 1/9-1/10/16 as dates) and it would seem the cost is rather high $300-400 a room.

Our last cruise out of POM we stayed at BEST WESTERN Fort Lauderdale Airport/Cruise Port and used QLS to transport us to the port the next day but even this hotels pricing seems to be almost $300 a night (which is not cost effective for us).

We will not have a rental car (just too many folks and luggage to do that). So we will either need to use a hotels shuttle service from the airport or book a shuttle from FLL to the hotel and then to POM.

We don't require a lot other than some place to pick up last minute items with a few restaurants within walking distance to grab lunch/dinner. Not looking for a 5 star but don't want to sleep with rats/bugs/or be robbed. We have AAA & AARP, so we might qualify for discounts.

I am a member of LMT but am not sure if this is the route we should go with so many rooms needed and I have never done Priceline and/or Hotwire and I'm not sure if I can do them for this many rooms?

I have a short list of hotels and I'm wondering if I can get a little input from our resident experts:

-Sleep Inn & Suites Fort Lauderdale Airport

-Super 8 Fort Lauderdale Airport

-Motel 6 Dania Beach (I have a coworker staying here Feb '16 and they are suppose to report back on the conditions)

Should we stay in FLL or travel to Miami? Would this be more cost effective?

So many questions and with a little under 500 days to plan I'll drive my self nuts.

Thanks in advance for any insight you can give. Happy Sailing!!

Unless you go through Group Sales, which you cannot with only 4-5 rooms, you will not even be able to book until after January.

You are putting the cart before the horse.

Fort Lauderdale isn't always cheaper than Miami to fly in and out of.

Edited by BlueHerons

Unless you go through Group Sales, which you cannot with only 4-5 rooms, you will not even be able to book until after January.

You are putting the cart before the horse.

Fort Lauderdale isn't always cheaper than Miami to fly in and out of.

BlueHeron- thank you for the quick response I have used your advice for previous cruises, so I know you are very knowledgeable regarding the FLL & Miami areas.

As we are flying from Buffalo, NY I am almost positive that flying into FLL will be cheaper. Southwest & JetBlue our normally the cheapest (even with JetBlue now charging for luggage) flying from our great city. With the cost of bags on United & American flying into Miami doesn't normally fit our budget.

I understand we cannot book before January 2016-no more than 365 days out.

I guess what I was looking for was whether my choice(s) of hotels makes sense for those that have knowledge of the area that they are located in?

I would wait for pricing to become available.

Then I would call a handful of hotels.

With five rooms you will certainly get some type of group rate.

Keith

Minimum for group rate is usually ten room nights. So if those five rooms are booked for two nights, they will get at the very least a comp.

BlueHeron- thank you for the quick response I have used your advice for previous cruises, so I know you are very knowledgeable regarding the FLL & Miami areas.

As we are flying from Buffalo, NY I am almost positive that flying into FLL will be cheaper. Southwest & JetBlue our normally the cheapest (even with JetBlue now charging for luggage) flying from our great city. With the cost of bags on United & American flying into Miami doesn't normally fit our budget.

I understand we cannot book before January 2016-no more than 365 days out.

I guess what I was looking for was whether my choice(s) of hotels makes sense for those that have knowledge of the area that they are located in?

Again, it may not be the cheapest airfare. Have you ever used http://www.ITASoftware.com ? It is the matrix all the airlines use and they show the rate for every single seat for your dates.

Also, being that family flies in and out of here all the time and we live in FLL, I always put in the search using three airports: MIA, FLL, and PBI. More than not lately Miami is coming up the least expensive of the three.

I think by using hotwire, you can get much better hotels in much better locations than the three you are looking at.

I just did a quick search on hotwire for five rooms for Friday, January 15th (MLK Jr. Holiday Weekend) and there is plenty on there either on the beach, downtown, or on Las Olas Boulevard for under your $225 budget.

Edited by BlueHerons

Again, it may not be the cheapest airfare. Have you ever used www.ITASoftware.com ? It is the matrix all the airlines use and they show the rate for every single seat for your dates. .

No I had not heard of this software but have added it to my arsenal (thank you).

Also, being that family flies in and out of here all the time and we live in FLL, I always put in the search using three airports: MIA, FLL, and PBI. More than not lately Miami is coming up the least expensive of the three..

I also did some mock bookings and noticed that although American Airlines would be a little cheaper ($5) that does not include luggage which then puts the price more than $20 over (if we only bring 1 bag a piece). I am using Sat 1/9/16-Sat 1/16/16 as mock dates since those are as close to our real dates of Sat 1/7/17-Sat 1/14/17. With me personally paying for 5 members on this trip-money is always at my forefront. We like to cruise but need to make sure we do so with a budget (this works for my family). That $100 savings then can be applied to something else.

I think by using hotwire, you can get much better hotels in much better locations than the three you are looking at.

I just did a quick search on hotwire for five rooms for Friday, January 15th (MLK Jr. Holiday Weekend) and there is plenty on there either on the beach, downtown, or on Las Olas Boulevard for under your $225 budget.

Thank you again, once I get past the 365 date I am sure I will be coming back to you for advice on how to use Hotwire/Priceline. I have read some instructions online about it but it is still confusing so I will look to you BlueHeron for your guidance-if that's OK :D.

I have about the same size group as you. We have a total of 16 people traveling this coming January on NCL Escape from Miami. We are actually flying into FLL because it was $121 a person versus $383 to miami and staying at the Sleep inn and Suites. We decided on this because: it was one of the cheapest rates we could find $192 a night, the rooms each sleep 6 which cut down on the # of rooms needed, they have a free airport shuttle. Our plan is to take the free shuttle from the airport to hotel and then take a private shuttle to the POM the next day! Good luck with your planning!

I have about the same size group as you. We have a total of 16 people traveling this coming January on NCL Escape from Miami. We are actually flying into FLL because it was $121 a person versus $383 to miami and staying at the Sleep inn and Suites. We decided on this because: it was one of the cheapest rates we could find $192 a night, the rooms each sleep 6 which cut down on the # of rooms needed, they have a free airport shuttle. Our plan is to take the free shuttle from the airport to hotel and then take a private shuttle to the POM the next day! Good luck with your planning!

travelbug771-thank you for your insight. I think this is what we are leaning towards as well. If you don't mind can you let me know your thoughts on Sleep Inn & Suites when you get back?

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk

Edited by Buffalofirsttimer4

No I had not heard of this software but have added it to my arsenal (thank you).

I also did some mock bookings and noticed that although American Airlines would be a little cheaper ($5) that does not include luggage which then puts the price more than $20 over (if we only bring 1 bag a piece). I am using Sat 1/9/16-Sat 1/16/16 as mock dates since those are as close to our real dates of Sat 1/7/17-Sat 1/14/17. With me personally paying for 5 members on this trip-money is always at my forefront. We like to cruise but need to make sure we do so with a budget (this works for my family). That $100 savings then can be applied to something else.

But that has you flying into Miami instead of Fort Lauderdale. If I'm correct, you are cruising out of Miami?

You'll overpay by $100 but have you looked at transportation costs getting 15 people to Miami from Fort Lauderdale? That will cost you at least $300 plus the headache of hearding all these people.

Don't step over dollars to save pennies:D

But that has you flying into Miami instead of Fort Lauderdale. If I'm correct, you are cruising out of Miami?

You'll overpay by $100 but have you looked at transportation costs getting 15 people to Miami from Fort Lauderdale? That will cost you at least $300 plus the headache of hearding all these people.

Don't step over dollars to save pennies:D

Yes we are cursing out of POM and I have looked at transportation, cost $10 per person transport from FLL hotel to POM not $300. And actually I checked on your link flying from Buffalo to Miami and then Buffalo to FLL , FLL was cheaper hands down.

I thought valuetrips only allowed 2 people per room?

Hmmm...you may be right but then why do they show a family of 4 in their picture ad for Hyatt Place on the website :confused: