Passengers Late Again!!

ImADaneFan

NCL did not wait at ALL. The guest was at customs before the ship started to move. They were visible from the bridge for some time before that,running and waving the NCL beach towel flag.
NCL should not have to wait, the passengers are late. It is the passenger's responsibility to be back on time. If someone is late because they fell asleep, were having too much fun, didn't wear a watch, didn't read the signs or dailies, it is their fault and NCL should not have to accommodate them by waiting. I've been on too many tours where folks think it is okay to be late because they will always wait for them. On one, we all told the our tour director to leave them behind at the hotel and she did. Guess what, they were very upset, but they were never late again.

BTW, I don't find joy in someone missing the ship, don't watch for runners, but I also think that it is one's personal responsibility to understand the rules (in this case the time to be back onboard the ship) and abide by them.

Edited by NLH Arizona

NCL should not have to wait, the passengers are late. It is the passenger's responsibility to be back on time. If someone is late because they fell asleep, were having too much fun, didn't wear a watch, didn't read the signs or dailies, it is their fault and NCL should not have to accommodate them by waiting. I've been on too many tours where folks think it is okay to be late because they will always wait for them. On one, we all told the our tour director to leave them behind at the hotel and she did. Guess what, they were very upset, but they were never late again.

BTW, I don't find joy in someone missing the ship, don't watch for runners, but I also think that it is one's personal responsibility to understand the rules (in this case the time to be back onboard the ship) and abide by them.

To add to that - its in the contract what time to get back for most port of call, which is an hour before scheduled departure. Literally in the section that states "Carrier's right to confine, or Refuse or Revoke Passage(Section 4b)" - they can leave people behind if they're not back with that 1 hour window before departure. Good to read that contract in case what one's rights are and aren't.

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

Leaving 50 passengers that were all on the same private excursion running super late - is kinda heartless. Leaving 2 out of 4000-something passengers - those 2 were really not paying attention to the time.

Its one of those situations where the numbers of people being late makes a big difference, of should the captain even bother waiting past the schedule departure time....

I agree with Maywell. Leaving just 2 behind is not heartless at all, but it depends on the situation at hand. But being a responsible person and getting back to the ship is the responsibility of the cruisers not the cruise line unless they were in a NCL sponsored excursion.

I agree with Maywell. Leaving just 2 behind is not heartless at all, but it depends on the situation at hand. But being a responsible person and getting back to the ship is the responsibility of the cruisers not the cruise line unless they were in a NCL sponsored excursion.

Exactly - a NCL sponsored excursion is not going to be 2 people late; its going to be hundreds of people late. And the cruise line knows exactly who those people are beforehand, compare to 2 people where its a process of elimination due to sail card swipe after everyone else is back.

I was on this cruise. Norwegian should maybe stop running the clip on the television that says that the boat leaves at 5pm, or at least update it? My wife noticed this, and anyone who got stranded and had to pay to fly home would have a legitimate beef..and I'd go to court for them. Little details like this are important. Also, closing the water slides at 7PM on the first day when they are supposed to close at 8? Overall I loved our cruise, but these little annoying nick knack things do make a difference.

I was on this cruise. Norwegian should maybe stop running the clip on the television that says that the boat leaves at 5pm, or at least update it? My wife noticed this, and anyone who got stranded and had to pay to fly home would have a legitimate beef..and I'd go to court for them. Little details like this are important. Also, closing the water slides at 7PM on the first day when they are supposed to close at 8? Overall I loved our cruise, but these little annoying nick knack things do make a difference.

Wow!!!

If what you say is actually happening...and I don't think you would post if it weren't.....then ncl is totally responsible for any and all expenses for those left behind!!

On my jan ba 12 night I read the dailies word for word and saw that they stated that smoking WAS allowed on the balcony!!!

A newbie that does not live and breath cruise critic like we do would not know that smoking isn't allowed

Remember their are still pax who do not do any research and just go with a Ta suggestion

Well I showed guest services this and of course it took them 2 days to correct the dailies and they were blaming it on the ships printing person and they sent me a plate of apples and bananas 😒as a thank you. Lol

Before anyone starts in on my post....yep I love cruising ncl...usually buy the FCC...but I'm also fairly intelligent and there is something wrong when a company makes a major change and doesnt remember to fix the time change everywhere it is listed

They know pax watch the ncl updates on cabin tv s ....so why isn't it updated there?

It amazes me how little forethought is put into important things

And yes...I know to check for all aboard time before I debark....but not everyone does....again newbies....who just don't understand to do this and just don't listen to the crew telling them 3 pm....why? Because the tv video said 5! To many pax once they are told something by the ship...in this case the tv...they would not think to double check it.

I know to double check but that's just me

I'm from NYC and I assure you that probably close to 50% of the Bermuda pax are on their " trip of a lifetime" 👏and are clueless. This is obvious many times and by no means meant as an insult....it's just a fact that many are newbies. NYC cruises that reach a huge population with no airfare needed most certainly appeal to those who travel very infrequently.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by luvtheships

Wow!!!

If what you say is actually happening...and I don't think you would post if it weren't.....then ncl is totally responsible for any and all expenses for those left behind!!

On my jan ba 12 night I read the dailies word for word and saw that they stated that smoking WAS allowed on the balcony!!!

A newbie that does not live and breath cruise critic like we do would not know that smoking isn't allowed

Remember their are still pax who do not do any research and just go with a Ta suggestion

Well I showed guest services this and of course it took them 2 days to correct the dailies and they were blaming it on the ships printing person and they sent me a plate of apples and bananas as a thank you. Lol

Before anyone starts in on my post....yep I love cruising ncl...usually buy the FCC...but I'm also fairly intelligent and there is something wrong when a company makes a major change and doesnt remember to fix the time change everywhere it is listed

They know pax watch the ncl updates on cabin tv s ....so why isn't it updated there?

It amazes me how little forethought is put into important things

And yes...I know to check for all aboard time before I debark....but not everyone does....again newbies....who just don't understand to do this and just don't listen to the crew telling them 3 pm

I'm from NYC and I assure you that probably 50% of the Bermuda pax are on their " trip of a lifetime" and are clueless

They were still running the Bermuda info clip that said 5pm AFTER we left Bermuda, so my wife noticed when we got on the ship, and I confirmed it myself. She said that the guys said 2:30 when we were getting off.

Other little detail things: Kids menus in taste and savor..2 days in a row..no menus printed on the paper. The usual coloring and mazes and stuff, but no menu, just a blank section. Manhattan room kids menus were fully printed on the same form.

This isn't as big a deal as the information clip, but the point is that they miss things on these cruises. As far as I'm concerned, that announcement makes NCL liable for those people left behind.

They were still running the Bermuda info clip that said 5pm AFTER we left Bermuda, so my wife noticed when we got on the ship, and I confirmed it myself. She said that the guys said 2:30 when we were getting off.

Other little detail things: Kids menus in taste and savor..2 days in a row..no menus printed on the paper. The usual coloring and mazes and stuff, but no menu, just a blank section. Manhattan room kids menus were fully printed on the same form.

This isn't as big a deal as the information clip, but the point is that they miss things on these cruises. As far as I'm concerned, that announcement makes NCL liable for those people left behind.

They definitely miss things on cruises

My take on the smoking misprint was that ncl only runs a few 12 days out of NYC and the daily they used for the jan 2015 cruise was just a reprint if the jan 2014 cruise

Of course the no smoking thing started in nov 2014 so using a daily from jan 2014 certainly needed updating

Now the smoking thing is a big issue and it should have been updated in the daily immediately when the change occurred ....but what do I know lol

WOW !!! Now I REALLY think that NCL should have made EVERY attempt to recover those passengers (we still don't know if they made it onboard). If not, you can bet that I would be seeking reimbursement from NCL for all out of pocket expenses PLUS the unused portion of my cruise.

WOW !!! Now I REALLY think that NCL should have made EVERY attempt to recover those passengers (we still don't know if they made it onboard). If not, you can bet that I would be seeking reimbursement from NCL for all out of pocket expenses PLUS the unused portion of my cruise.

Lol

So many litigious people out there. How about personal responsibility. Kind of like when a lady sued McDonald's and burned herself and won because the coffee is hot. Isn't coffee supposed to be hot? I bet the mother of the two knew when to arrive back just like the other 4000 people.

Lol

I know - some people really need to read or reread their cruise contract more carefully. You're not entitled anything if it wasn't a shore excursion booked through NCL - them the breaks. (All the lines have version of it in their contacts too). I mean those people that don't agree with NCL policy of staying on schedule, can rant and rave as much as they like, not going to change the fact that 2 people each week can't seem to tell time on their own out of 4000 people!

So many litigious people out there. How about personal responsibility. Kind of like when a lady sued McDonald's and burned herself and won because the coffee is hot. Isn't coffee supposed to be hot? I bet the mother of the two knew when to arrive back just like the other 4000 people.

I'll restate it again: The cruise line has an information video running on their cabin TV service that specifically states that the all aboard time is 2 hours later than it actually is...you think this is a personal responsibility issue only? I'd say it's a serious oversight by NCL. That's not "litigious" nor does it have a friggin' thing to do with the McDonalds coffee incident. I'm frankly surprise more people weren't late considering this.

Which is why I said they need to read that contract - it literally says NCL is not responsible if they can't come back in time nor owes the person anything if they get left behind. Even states which courthouse in Fl. to send litigation to.

Why is it that whenever something goes awry on a cruise ship (doesn't seem to matter which cruise line) so many passengers except some type of compensation, etc? SO disheartening.......are we really a society that thinks that we are "owed" something when we experience a less than perfect anything? :confused:

The case you are citing is actually a really bad example because there's a lot more to the story than what commonly gets recited.

Nevertheless, the point remains. NCL pretty clearly outlines in multiple places that you need to be on the ship by X time. No exceptions. On my last NCL cruise, there was no less than 3 signs between the elevators and the dock itself that said something to the effect of "Be back by....." That's on top of the Daily and itinerary. You are traveling in a (presumably) foreign land, so I really have a hard time feeling bad for someone that doesn't double check departure times when the consequence for being wrong is an expensive flight home and abrupt end to your vacation.

Edited by NoahtheRed

I'll restate it again: The cruise line has an information video running on their cabin TV service that specifically states that the all aboard time is 2 hours later than it actually is...you think this is a personal responsibility issue only?

Apparently the other 4000 passengers got the message loud and clear.

The case you are citing is actually a really bad example because there's a lot more to the story than what commonly gets recited.

Nevertheless, the point remains. NCL pretty clearly outlines in multiple places that you need to be on the ship by X time. No exceptions. On my last NCL cruise, there was no less than 3 signs between the elevators and the dock itself that said something to the effect of "Be back by....." That's on top of the Daily and itinerary. You are traveling in a (presumably) foreign land, so I really have a hard time feeling bad for someone that doesn't double check departure times when the consequence for being wrong is an expensive flight home and abrupt end to your vacation.

You are right. The case I brought up was trying to get a point about being responsible. If you have coffee common sense is that it's hot. Same with the missing the boat. There are many places to know when the boat is to leave. You are right about signage and there was no excuses for them to miss the boat. They need to take on the responsibilities of their consequences.

Have you actually researched that case? We touched on it briefly in a law class. The temperature of the coffee was 190 degrees Fahrenheit, and the 79 year old woman experienced 3rd degree burns over 6% of her body including her thighs and genitals. I actually saw pictures of her thighs (evidence in the case) and they were charred black. She required several skin grafts and debridement therapy while hospitalized for 10 days.

Look into it. She won in court, but the case ended in a sealed settlement. It bothers me when people gratuitously cite case law they know nothing about.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liebeck_v._McDonald's_Restaurants

Apparently the other 4000 passengers got the message loud and clear.

I was one of those 4000.

We also noticed the inconsistencies in what NCL was telling people between their recorded messages and thought it should have been corrected.

As said, good luck to your court case.

I would think dailies that they have to type the day before with port arrival /departure time, on the upper right-hand side on the front captain making announcements the morning of the port with the times, others saying there's signs at the gangway area (if there are some there - I must not of notice because I was coming back earlier anyway).

Honestly, the Miami-Dade judicial court address is in the contract - if someone's that serious to sue, go right ahead, no need to tell the forum your plans. (Not directed at you, Sfaa, but if the poster you quoted is that serious - really, you don't make a big production of it, you just do it.)

People have been missing ships as long as there's been cruising. The fact that two people have missed the last three Breakaway cruises is probably very much within the averages prior to NCL changing their away times in Bermuda. Let's put all this in the correct perspective here. If 3998 people can make it back on time, then chances are it would make no difference whatsoever when the ship was actually scheduled to leave, these folks would have missed it regardless. The fact that in all cases they were close enough to the pier to see the ship leaving tells me that they had a pretty good idea of when they were supposed to be back and simply cut it too close.

Didn't say I was a much better judge. It's just my opinion that people that don't use common sense always try to find someone else to blame and try to make money off their own mistakes.

Watching and believing what ncl says in their video is using common sense

Pax shod be able to trust their cruise line

And yet 4000-something people seem to able to get back before 3pm but ship should be held up for 2 people that don't know how get back onboard like rest - not much of a case to stand on if other people were not late past that time as well. That what most of you who keep arguing about the situation keep missing or overlooking. Its 2 people, not even 10 or 50 people, not a group of 5, not 7 random couples with a baby but 2 people - big difference.