Voyage of the Vikings...a Bucket List Item...DONE!

janmcn

Yes. Since there were two Barbaras, the location expert went by Babs and the culinary hostess, Barbara.

Thanks for clarifying.

Having sailed with Barbara, the location expert, there is no way I could think of her as a "Babs". It's just so not her.

Thanks for clarifying.

Having sailed with Barbara, the location expert, there is no way I could think of her as a "Babs". It's just so not her.

I don't know how they decided which Barbara would be Babs. It certainly wasn't by seniority because Babs the port lecturer had more time with HAL than any other officer on the ship including the captain. BTW, HAL offers the perk of a free cruise to thier officers after they have served a relatively low number of contracts. For the first time in her career with HAL Babs was staying aboard the Veendam as a passenger.

This trip couldn't have been better IMHO. The captain did a superb job to make sure we saw as much as possible including the Greenland ice field on the way over and the Prince Christian Sound on the way back. The itinerary was fabulous. We thought all the dining venues were really good. We never did Canaletto but we did the Pinnacle twice. We ate all our other dinners in the MDR (fixed dining). We enjoyed the food. We never had any trouble finding something we'd enjoy and never had to resort to the daily standard selections. We especially enjoyed the salads and the lamb dishes. Our waiters and wine steward were conscientious and helpful. They felt like family at the end of the cruise. We enjoyed the Pinnacle and also really enjoyed the cellar master dinners and the lucky Irish lunch. Sam, the Cellar Master was the best we've encountered on HAL. We did all the premium wine tastings and learned a lot about wine. The entertainment was also the best we've encountered on HAL. I agree with a previous poster that HAL had an A team on this Voyage. We had only taken 14 day cruises before this and worried whether this would be too much time on a cruise but we could have stayed on longer and have now put the grand voyages on our list of things to do. We had an aft balcony cabin and loved it. Although the weather wasn't always conducive to sitting on it for extended periods of time, we still went out there regularly to check the weather and watch sail ins and sail aways. That $20 laundry deal was terrific -- I've always done our laundry in the sink when we traveled before but it's amazing what you can fit in one of those bags!!! I've read so many complaints about the wine list and prices on HAL but we found the selection to be very good and the prices are comparable to what we'd pay for the wines in our local restaurants (we live in the DC metro area). And the wine stewards weren't trying to upsell you and their recommendations for us were right on. I took a couple of the computer classes and they were good. Barbara, the culinary center hostess was entertaining and engaging. Babs was very interesting and helpful in her port talks.

We're still savoring the experience and are looking forward to another voyage in the future.

I agree that HAL had the A Team on this year's Voyage of the Vikings. From the Captain to the Bridge Crew to the sewards (dining and room) to the fantastic entertainers, it was a cruise that exceed my very high expectations. You could tell from the Captain's tone when he announced that the Veendam had passed the Coast Guard inspection that he truly believe that the responsibility and honor for passing the insection was due to the excellence of the entire crew. The itinernary and weather were great (for the most part), but the crew made the voyage much more than special.

I agree that HAL had the A Team on this year's Voyage of the Vikings. From the Captain to the Bridge Crew to the sewards (dining and room) to the fantastic entertainers, it was a cruise that exceed my very high expectations. You could tell from the Captain's tone when he announced that the Veendam had passed the Coast Guard inspection that he truly believe that the responsibility and honor for passing the insection was due to the excellence of the entire crew. The itinernary and weather were great (for the most part), but the crew made the voyage much more than special.

Agree..and I think the leadership of the captain led to good crew morale and a great experience for us as passengers.

Ahoy!

Interesting comments. Let me add a cent or two in no particular order.

1. We met some great/ interesting folks. Enough said.

2. Canaletto: appetizers were great, mains not so good.

3. PG: Robert (mgr.) gave it his best, staff no so (felt rushed / not trained), food okay but had to send a plate back or two due to overcooking (food is objective, no?)

4. Le Cirque (X 1): done very well the night we attended.

5. Cellar Master dinners (X2 & lunch X1): Sam the 'cellar master', as mentioned, did a wonderful job. The food was certainly much better than the MDR and routine PG IMHO. The pairings were great.

6. MDR: I like the abbreviated menu. Mixed results. Some items were kept too long on a steamer table IMO. Taste/ spicing was a 'crap shot' but certainly edible (hey, we can all be food snobs, no?).

7. Master Eric did a great job getting us to where we needed to go. I would expect nothing less for an experienced HAL Captain.

8. Barbara, the culinary gal, was supper. I attended several demos.

9. The shows, IMHO, were typical cruise ship offerings but pleasant enough for the few I attended.

10. The laundry service was the best I've ever encountered BTW.

11. I didn't deal with the excursion staff but the front office staff was great.

12. Port-wise: It's all good (hey, we knew we're we were gong, no? )The tenders worked when necessary.

13. I left out a lot of good folks out that provided us wonderful service.

14. Excuse me, I'm awaiting for the Lido to open :)

Bon Voyage & Good Health!

Bob:)

RuthC,

I'm with you. There is no way I can think of her as "Babs"! So not her that I still find it hard to believe. Every time I read it in this post I cringe. Oh well, if she is happy with it - who am I to question it? But I still do not "like" it. In general I have real trouble with diminutive names for adult women. Guess that came from my training as a Psychologist.

Having known her from previous cruises, I felt weird referring to her as Babs, too, but since that is what she was called on this cruise I felt I had to go with it.

Glad to have so many others chime in about this cruise...truly one of the best, though Antarctica remains my favorite (also on the Veendam.)

RuthC: I presume she means Barbara. She does longer cruises, and an excellent job.

Knows her stuff.

I was told that she used Babs to differentiate from another Barbara in the crew. She was the best location guide I've cruised with by far. She spent almost all day commentating in the Crows Nest as we cruised Prince Christian Sund.

Eric

I was told that she used Babs to differentiate from another Barbara in the crew.

Thanks, but... HokiePoq explained that several posts back.

I still don't understand why Barbara was the one who had to change her name---why not the other Barbara!. But, now I know who was meant. Sorry I missed her, as I have sailed with her before, and find her commentary excellent.

Just returned from the Veendam and was informed by an officer hosting our table on Gala night that the Veendam is on the market along with another small ship. I didn't catch the other name. It was our 1st time on the Veendam and I really enjoyed her. No plumbing or AC problems.I don't know if it has been mentioned on CC about the Veendam before.

Janet

Just returned from the Veendam and was informed by an officer hosting our table on Gala night that the Veendam is on the market along with another small ship. I didn't catch the other name. It was our 1st time on the Veendam and I really enjoyed her. No plumbing or AC problems.I don't know if it has been mentioned on CC about the Veendam before.

Janet

Oh, no! I loved the Veendam and felt it had gotten better with age, much better than when we were on in 2007. I wonder if the ships one size up can go into the places the Veendam did. I know the Prisendam can but one ship is not enough for all the itineraries that large ships cannot do. I hope it is not the Veendam and Maasdam that are up for sale.