Wait til after final payment date to book?

whootie

Shop your fare to a few reputable on line TA's. You should be able to get at least 8-10 percent of the commissionable fare refunded in the form of an OBC.

Or send it out to that tender site where various agencies bid for your business. The one that has the word compete in it's web address.

It is a big buy so you should expect a good discount.

• 5 months later...
Remember there are a lot of segment cruisers on a World Cruise, and they have to book guarantee. The selection of cabins is reserved for those booking the full cruise, and the other cabins are left open until the guarantees are assigned.

Ruth, You seem to be a 'wise' one in regards to most things about cruising.

I wonder if you can offer any advice on the following?

I am in the throws of booking World Cruise HAL 2017 as a solo traveler from NZ. I am trying to join the cruise either in Osaka or Hong Kong and it's turning into a very costly cruise, because our NZ dollar is not good against the US dollar. (Almost double on US $ advertised fares)

I have been told I am not able to book a spec cabin and will have to wait as you have mentioned above.

I feel very miffed about this as there is a lot of money at stake for a (Even though I am looking at EE Cat cabin) and I have to wait till I am finally assigned/allotted a cabin, that would NOT have been of my choosing, and be stuck in this for 60 odd days.

In your humble opinion, or others, should they be able to help, would my paying the total cruise fare now help me through this, or do you think I will have just have to ride with it at this stage? Help!

Just reading about the person who just found out about 25% reduction in solo fare, makes me also wonder if waiting till final payment date in late June is the other way to go?

Thank you for your balanced input on CC.

Ruth, You seem to be a 'wise' one in regards to most things about cruising.

I wonder if you can offer any advice on the following?

In your humble opinion, or others, should they be able to help, would my paying the total cruise fare now help me through this, or do you think I will have just have to ride with it at this stage? Help!

Just reading about the person who just found out about 25% reduction in solo fare, makes me also wonder if waiting till final payment date in late June is the other way to go?

Thank you for your balanced input on CC.

Thank you for your kind comments; now I'm afraid I can't live up to them. :o

I have done only one Grand Cruise, back in '94, and never done a World Cruise or any segment(s) of one. My knowledge in this particular area is therefore somewhat limited.

I can say that when looking at cabin categories, take a good look at all the cabins in your preferred category and above. If there are any cabins that would be distasteful for such a long time, then carefully consider how many and how distasteful. You could be living there for a long time, and need to feel comfortable about "going home" at night.

Do you have a TA who could help you think through your questions?

Perhaps a TA, or other posters with more experience in World Cruises can be of help? I hope so.

I will say that I've been in some cabins that were better than others, but none ever so bad that I would rather not be on the ship! That includes sharing one that I swear was 8'x10' for 34 days! It's amazing what we can get used to! Good luck to you.