D+ Free Cocktail hour(s)

cpa2be

Hi all,

Last Oct on the Allure we had many issues receiving our complimentary drinks during the cocktail hour in the various venues around the ship. We were charged for drinks and disliked having to correct the bar staff and explain that we were permitted 3 free drinks during the posted hours. It seems there was a lot of confusion about this last year.

On our Liberty cruise in Feb we stuck to the Diamond Lounge to avoid the issue (also because we enjoyed the overflow area in the Viking Crown Lounge :D).

We will be on the Oasis soon and wondering what the experience has been like for recent cruisers?

We were on Oasis the first week of August and had no problems. I am not sure if it was the bar staff or that my son and I also had the drink package. This was the first cruise where there was very little free pouring. Nearly all the staff were using a jigger for their drinks. It just resulted in some doubles on the drink package. :eek: :D

If they know you tip well, sometimes they'll make your drink of choice no questions asked.

We were on the Quantum last spring and I sat at one of the bars at 440 PM and I asked the bartender if it was too early for a Diamond drink. He thought about it for about 10 seconds, said no and asked me what I would like. He was well tipped and I had whatever I wanted whenever I ordered for the rest of the cruise. :) :D We would have used the DL but there were over 1,500 D and above on the ship and it was impossible to get into the DL most days.

Just got off Freedom and while I didn't have issues using the coupons (meaning being charged for a drink that should have come off the coupon) what I did have was a lot of inconsistency with what was allowed and what was not.

I always order a margarita on the rocks in the DL. This cruise, the DL was FULL. So we went out to the VCL and ordered the same exact drink. Server tells me that I can't have it, it's not on the "list" and brings me a laminated card with all of the approved liquor (you all have seen it), which is now at all the bars.

So I look and it's got a list of various liquors (gin, vodka, tequila, rum, etc.) with brands. I have no issue with the well brand, so I say so. Server tries to tell me that "this" list is all I can have. I'm sitting there looking at him saying "so you want me to do shots of tequila, but you won't add it to a mixer for me?" He eventually got me the drink, and then tells me that he charged it as a shot of tequila but that he's not supposed to give me the drink I wanted with the coupons.

Another night I go to a different bar (champagne bar on deck 5) and ask for a cosmo. She tells me the same thing, shows me the same list. I'm just looking at her and keep saying that I simply don't understand the issue, how is the mixer the problem if the alcohol is included? She too gives me the drink, but puts it through as a vodka shot.

I eventually gave up and insisted to my mom that we were going to the D lounge and that was it. Told Bertie about the issue and he also was shocked. Said that he's sent memo after memo on this and it seems that the actual bars are having a real issue with this.

Not sure if any of you have experienced this on other ships, but on Freedom it's definitely a problem.

not ours. Was recently on Freedom and guess what?....Not a single issue with the drinks or vouchers at all on a recent B2B. So definitely NOT an issue for us....:D

I agree, I wouldn't complain about lack of choice at the bars. Complaints make it easy for them to take away a perk due to 'customer dissatisfaction'.

Bartenders vary in what they will make. The fastest way to get on their bad side is to argue about what you can get: they will tend to use the printed list as their backup. Doesn't hurt to ask nicely, but don't argue.

I also agree that once they see you are tipping, they may be more cooperative. If not, just go to another bar.

Edited by marci22