One. More. Sleep......

Assateague Island Princes

:D....til we bagin our adventure back to the Great Land! Woo-hoo! We fly out of Phila. tomorrow evening and will spend the night in Seattle, then bright and early on Thursday, 9/3, we board our flight to Fairbanks for 9 glorious days in Alaska! Even though this is my 7th visit, it never gets old! I'm just as excited as I was for our first trip back in 2006!

Thurs. morning, we'll be picking up our rental car, driving up to Healy to check into Healy Heights cabin for two nights, with an Eielson shuttle booked for Friday. So excited to see DNP in all its autumnal glory - quite a change of scenery, I'm sure, from the visit we'd previously done in the early Spring timeframe in 2013.

On Saturday, we head back to the Fairbanks/North Pole area where we've rented a cabin for the week - hoping against hope to see the Northern Lights - fingers crossed. Adventures down the Richardson Highway, kayaking, fishing, a visit to Mary Shields kennel, and of course exploring all that Fairbanks itself has to offer are on our agenda. CAN. NOT. WAIT.:)

Northern Aurora, leave the light on for us, would ya?;)

:D....til we bagin our adventure back to the Great Land! Woo-hoo!

Well that you ask -- as I type this on Tuesday evening we are very clear in Fairbanks with a moderate aurora forecast for tonight. So I have my "fingers crossed" for you.

And if you have never met Mary Shields are are in for a treat. She is an acquaintance and is delightful. For those who do not recognize the name she is the first woman to have completed the Iditarod.

Thanx AKStafford - you give me hope! We've been diligently watching the forecasts and have signed up for Aurora Alerts, so hopefully the trend will continue and our wish to experience the dancing lights will come true.

Northern Aurora - keep those good wishes coming. I'm hoping that last night's skies indeed remained clear and that there was a nice display of the Aurora. No, we've not yet met Mary Shields but our email correspondence with her has been delightful. So looking forward to our time with her and her four-legged family members. She sounds so interesting and her love for Alaska shines thru in all the information she has shared with us to date.

Alaska - here we come:p!

We've had a few good displays already this year... So hopefully things will work out for you.

We're sailing Friday on Solstice. Do you think there is any chance of seeing the lights? Or are we not going to be far enough north? I would sooooooo love to see them.

Thanks

We're sailing Friday on Solstice. Do you think there is any chance of seeing the lights? Or are we not going to be far enough north? I would sooooooo love to see them.

Thanks

First- hook up with Brent Nixon and DAILY check the prediction stats. IF you find an active prediction- then plan on spending several hours out in the darkest area of the ship you can find. You do have to have- clear skys, meaning seeing stars clearly.

Worth the effort in this timeframe, if of interest to see them. I've been fortunate to have seen them several times.

:D....til we bagin our adventure back to the Great Land! Woo-hoo! We fly out of Phila. tomorrow evening and will spend the night in Seattle, then bright and early on Thursday, 9/3, we board our flight to Fairbanks for 9 glorious days in Alaska! Even though this is my 7th visit, it never gets old! I'm just as excited as I was for our first trip back in 2006!

Thurs. morning, we'll be picking up our rental car, driving up to Healy to check into Healy Heights cabin for two nights, with an Eielson shuttle booked for Friday. So excited to see DNP in all its autumnal glory - quite a change of scenery, I'm sure, from the visit we'd previously done in the early Spring timeframe in 2013.

On Saturday, we head back to the Fairbanks/North Pole area where we've rented a cabin for the week - hoping against hope to see the Northern Lights - fingers crossed. Adventures down the Richardson Highway, kayaking, fishing, a visit to Mary Shields kennel, and of course exploring all that Fairbanks itself has to offer are on our agenda. CAN. NOT. WAIT.:)

I would highly recommend you head north, especially for a few days- amazing tundra range and completely different than the Fairbanks/Denali area. Especially scenic (pretty close to my top flightseeing) I really like is Anaktuvuk Pass.