Royal Caribbean into Port Kembla

Royal Caribbean cruises into Port Kembla Harbour

Wollongong’s Port Kembla Harbour will welcome its first cruise ship in 2016 when Royal Caribbean’s Radiance of the Seas ties up dockside.

The 293m long megaliner will bring more than 2400 people to the Illawarra in October 2016 as part of a seven night East Coast and Tasmania cruise.

The ship will spend a day in port, allowing tourists from Australia and around the world to explore the Illawarra’s beaches, city, towns and attractions through day trips, courtesy buses and planned activity options.

Royal Caribbean Cruises Regional Vice President Gavin Smith says the visit is the first step in investigating an ongoing relationship between the cruise line and the Illawarra.

“I’m thrilled to announce we will be bringing one of the largest and most feature-packed megaliners in Australian waters to the South Coast of NSW, when Port Kembla becomes the newest destination for Radiance of the Seas,” he said.

“With capacity for more than 2400 guests, in a single day she’ll deliver an economic injection of more than $890,000 to local operators in the region.

“As the appetite for cruising continues to grow, expanding our offering for our many international and domestic guests is the key to our continued success.

“Including Port Kembla on our itineraries will provide our guests the opportunity to sample all that Wollongong and the South Coast has to offer. At the same time, it will give us the chance to investigate Port Kembla as an alternative home port, as an overflow to congestion in Sydney Harbour.”

Destination Wollongong board member Cr Leigh Colacino revealed the venture has been more than two years in the making.

“I am excited to announce that Royal Caribbean ships will soon become a regular sight at Port Kembla and I will be standing dockside to welcome the Radiance of the Seas when she makes her first visit to Wollongong,” he said.

“This is a wonderful outcome for the Illawarra and regional tourism, but also makes business sense for Royal Caribbean to make use of one of the most capable ports on the east coast of Australia.

“This commitment from Royal Caribbean is also a wonderful endorsement of the new operators of Port Kembla and their commitment to the economy of the Illawarra.

“Royal Caribbean understands the value of Port Kembla and Wollongong for tourism with its proximity to the Sydney CBD and airport, and the varied attractions of the region whether they are the vibrant nightlife, shopping and dining precincts, the beaches, adventure activities, the wineries of the South Coast and Southern Highlands or simply the outstanding natural attraction of the Illawarra escarpment.

“It has been rewarding to work with Gavin Smith, Regional Vice President of Royal Caribbean, over the past two and a half years in making what seemed to many as nothing more than a dream, a reality to our region.”

Destination Wollongong General Manager Mark Sleigh says the agreement with Royal Caribbean is an amazing opportunity for the Illawarra which will have immediate economic benefits and ongoing tourism advantages.

“It is terrific that one of the world’s leading tourism operators has seen the potential of Wollongong as a genuine, world-class tourist destination,” he said.

“Cruising is a booming tourism industry in Australia and the visit by the Radiance of the Seas will bring an influx of visitors to our shores and allow us to show off Wollongong and the South Coast to a whole new audience across the world.”

While the inaugural visit by the Radiance of the Seas is a momentous occasion for the region, the sight of cruise ships off the coast could become more common in the future.

Source = Royal Caribbean

Read more at http://www.etbtravelnews.com

The more local ports the better.

We were on a cruise ship that called in Mackay once.:)

If that was the Alexandr Pushkin in the 80's I was too.

We werent allowed to dock in Honiara by their government so they used Mackay as a replacement port.

Thousands came out to farewell the ship.

Aaah scenic Port Kembla. [emoji51]How on earth did this choice of port make the shortlist.

It came about as a result of a redeployment, due to part of the previous cruise being chartered.

The new cruise goes to Tassie and this is on the way.

That said, visiting Wollongong is comparable to their visits to Newcastle (and many other Australian/NZ ports), and there should be opportunity for a fair number of excursions.

It's not about the port but the destination. Wollongong has beautiful beaches and opportunities for those who love a bit of adventure to sky dive or parasail. The small towns of Kiama and Berry are close enough for a day trip and the drive down there is spectacular.

It's not about the port but the destination. Wollongong has beautiful beaches and opportunities for those who love a bit of adventure to sky dive or parasail. The small towns of Kiama and Berry are close enough for a day trip and the drive down there is spectacular.

Great for the 'Gong and surrounds.

If its a oncer , it will only be a novelty.

What the cruise industry needs are ships calling on a regular basis so that locals can set up tours and activities based around the length of time the ships are in port.

If that was the Alexandr Pushkin in the 80's I was too.

We werent allowed to dock in Honiara by their government so they used Mackay as a replacement port.

Thousands came out to farewell the ship.

No. It was Norwegian Star in 1999 , and Mackay was a listed port of call . NCL worked in conjunction with a local company and ran Australian based cruises in competition to P&O Australia.Our cruise was from Cairns to Sydney. A wonderful cruise as it allowed us to fly into Cairns and have a pre cruise holiday there ,then cruise the GBR and finish with a short stay in the brights lights of busy Sydney and before flying home.

I think it's great. Foreigners porting in Sydney would rarely get a taste of the relaxed beach style life that we are famed for. Docking in Wollongong drops them directly in it once you jaunt past the Port Kembla drop off point. There's great beaches and an ever growing food culture down there.

It will also be incredible for the little local economy. I have a soft spot for the area having gone to uni there, it's a great little part of the country.

Me too. My partner lives down there so I go down there most weekends to be with him. Just love it down there.

Radiance is doing this on its return journey from Tassie next year before getting to Sydney. Dropping Newcastle on the forward journey. Still a great intriductory cruise though.

Wonder if all tours will be ship excursions as i imagine Pt Kembla is a working port just like Burnie. Shuttles into town?

• 2 weeks later...

I think they would be better off calling in to Eden as some smaller cruise ships already do. Just not sure if the dock is large enough?

Eden is the gateway to wilderness coast & no nasty steel mills or suburban Wollongong.

The far south coast offers many eco options you can't get in an urban area like Wollongong & has clean fresh award winning seafood as well as historical sites/towns for potential day trips like Gabo Island, Tilba Tilba & Cobargo plus whale watching, the whaling museum, truly pristine beaches etc.

I used to live at shell harbour near Wollongong & moved to the far south coast so I know the difference.