Tolls from Jacksonville to Miami – Cash? Coin?

FLchick3

I don't understand why mapquest is telling people to take the turnpike from Jacksonville to Miami.

This makes absolutely no sense to me. It is at least 100 miles out of the way and even if you are hitting WPB through Miami during rush hour, it doesn't save you any time.

You will definitely save time (around 20-30 minutes) by moving over to the Turnpike from I-95 between Ft Pierce and Jupiter. But obviously not north of that point. Look at a map of the highways side-by-side and you will see how much I-95 zigs and zags while the Turnpike is a straight shot at 70 mph (I-95 is 65).

Edited by fishywood

• 2 weeks later...

LynnTH –

I just came back from my cruise. I took only 95 both down and back. Going to the ship I hit pretty intense traffic once I was in the Miami area. It was 11am Saturday of Labor Day weekend, so I don’t know if it was more crowded than usual.

On the way home there was construction (I think, I did not see an accident) and the first hour I went 10 miles. By the time I was done with that I was way too worn out to try to find/get on 91.

Next time I will just fly to Miami LOL!

But as you are driving down from Wisconsin you will enter Florida on I-75. Only way to get to Miami that way is to enter the Turnpike at Wildwood. ).

Not true. I have driven it often.

Take I 10 East, just over the Florida line, then the I 295 perimeter around Jacksonville (watch timing, you don't want to be near Jax during AM or PM rush)

It drops you on to I 95, south of the city. No tolls

LynnTH –

I just came back from my cruise. I took only 95 both down and back. Going to the ship I hit pretty intense traffic once I was in the Miami area. It was 11am Saturday of Labor Day weekend, so I don’t know if it was more crowded than usual.

On the way home there was construction (I think, I did not see an accident) and the first hour I went 10 miles. By the time I was done with that I was way too worn out to try to find/get on 91.

Next time I will just fly to Miami LOL!

Thanks. Good to know. I keep checking SW Airlines. They are now starting to put up some "Wanna Get Away" fares for our dates. Still a bit much at this point but will keep watching. - Hoping we are able to fly in and out of a closer airport...

Not true. I have driven it often.

Take I 10 East, just over the Florida line, then the I 295 perimeter around Jacksonville (watch timing, you don't want to be near Jax during AM or PM rush)

It drops you on to I 95, south of the city. No tolls

Concur. Live near Cape Canaveral and son went to FSU in Talla' so we drove this route a lot for several years and still do as he now lives in Mobile.

After a few tries of 75 and turnpike thru Orlando we became convinced it was a) NO FASTER and b) cost tolls unnecessarily as compared to I-10 / I-95.