Sandals and Plantar Fasciitis

MrsPete

I was shopping Nordstrom online. The stores almost never have my size/ the shoe I want in that size, so....Far easier to shop online and return if needed! Esp since the store isn't convenient (well, I live in the country, no store is really convenient:p)

I have 2 pr Vionic shoes now. One brown leather "ballet" flat I bought on sale at Sierra Trading Post. They're comfortable, but the leather is NOT holding up well at all. Sad. Glad I didn't pay very much. The other pair are athletic shoes, newer, fabric/not leather so we'll see how they hold up. I paid more for those, so they better last!

One of my pairs is in their athletic category...they are lightweight and

VERY comfy:)......this is them.......I have the black....the bottom is more

of a grey which I prefer over the white.

well, I can't get the photo to paste........:eek:

Here is the link instead;)

http://www.vionicshoes.com/women/active-and-sneakers/kea-slip-on-sneaker.html

Edited by Lois R

Glad you like them. Typically I prefer laces to a slip on for more flexibility - this is the pair I bought https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YBK79PY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Glad you like them too:);)...yours....LOL.....yours look much more like

a sneaker (to me)...I wasn't looking for that style.

Looks like we both found what we were looking for:D

I have many other non sneaker shoes - I tend to prefer sandals since there are many brands that work for me and I can wear them so many months here. I do actually have some Ecco slip-ons if I need that style - Ecco is a much better fit for me than vionic. But twice the code. But so far in my experience they last longer so it's a wash.....

• 4 months later...

Bringing this back up again.......Well, I had bunches of shoes/sandals in my closet that I have not worn in at least 5 months:eek:....when I got that

case of Planter......I stopped wearing all of them and now I have 12 pairs

of VIONICS.......

When I say "BUNCHES"....I mean A LOT.......I have decided to put them

all in large garbage bags and will be donating them to Good Will......It

took me a long, long time to do this........I kept thinking maybe I would

wear some of them again but ever since I bought the Vionics my feet

have felt VERY GOOD.:)......I didn't count how many pairs but I am

guessing it is about 50:eek:.

I don't have any more heels now.......but I know Vionics makes a wedge

so I may try that for a little height. ALL my others are slides/sandals

mules/clogs and a lovely pair of ballet flats.

Just needed to vent........thanks for listening:)

Lois, after my 10th major foot surgery I did the same thing. Both of my daughters wear the same size shoe that I do so I've been able to visit my Ferragamos quite often [emoji849][emoji151][emoji150]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Lois, after my 10th major foot surgery I did the same thing. Both of my daughters wear the same size shoe that I do so I've been able to visit my Ferragamos quite often [emoji849][emoji151][emoji150]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

10 surgeries?:confused:...omg...I am so sorry!!! I never needed any (thankfully). But once my feet got better I was a bit afraid to wear my

other shoes.:eek:...that may sound wimpy but it is the truth. So I have been wearing my Vionics every day!....I also got 2 new pairs recently.

One is a slide...criss/cross on the front and it is in cork. And the other is a backstrap sandal in red and very cute:)

Edited by Lois R

Ah, this thread's back again! It's surprising how many of us suffer from the same foot issues.

It's been five months since I commented on this thread, and I have something very good to say: A couple weeks ago I suddenly realized, I have had ZERO PAIN for -- can it really be months? WOW, a year ago I would've said that was impossible. I no longer feel like I'm heading for surgery, and I am genuinely surprised to say it.

I don't think I can "slack off" at all, or I'll be right back where I started -- perhaps with interest -- but now that I'm better and I'm wearing the right shoes, I don't think I will go back to those old problems.

The single best thing I did to reach this point: The trip to the orthopedist and the custom-made insoles he made for me.

The second best thing: When I'm not wearing the custom-made insoles (which usually means sandals or dressy-dressy shoes), I wear Vionics, Chacos, and Sketchers. I've learned the specific things I need in a sandal: a deep foot bed that "cups" the foot, wide rather than strappy uppers, and -- most of all -- strong support for the insole.

I'm glad to hear that a marathon runner found relief through surgery! I'm also convinced that I need to start seeing a podiatrist since it seems that IF I go the surgery route, no doctor seems to want to do it right away.

I'm not in official physical therapy, but my GP did give me some exercises, which had been working well -- as I said, until school started this fall, and things seem to have changed quickly.

I don't know about this being anything other than plantar fasciitis. My GP says PF, and everything I read online makes me say, "Yes, that's it". However, I am completely sold on the idea that I need to go to a podiatrist, and I will get his or her professional opinion -- if my GP was wrong, I'm sure I'll find out soon.

I read online that heel spurs and PF can go together.

Yes, I have a foot roller -- mine came from Amazon and looks like a slightly fancy little rolling pin, and I love it. I put it on the floor, stand with one hand on the sofa to stabilize myself and roll my foot over it. That's another reason I don't think it could be a heel spur -- if something were actually "in there", I don't think I'd like massaging it with this foot roller.

I'm definitely going to look into the stick-on inserts.

Again, thanks for the help, y'all. You've given me a good start on some sandals that'll give me the support I need, and I like the idea of looking for them now at the end of the season. Unfortunately, I wear a 7, the most common size, and they're often sold out first; thus, I have to buy before shoes hit rock bottom.

I have used the stick-on inserts. FAIL. The glue on the bottom of insert gets warm with your foot action and smears. Slips. The real problem is that the insert sticks up in your arch -- which is just sort of adjustable to your foot but then your heel is not in right position. The reason the Vionic and some other brands of sandels and slides are comfortable is the deeper heel. I have had good luck with some orthotics from the podiatrist but most are too hard for my feet. I no longer accept inserts that are so hard you take weeks to get them "adjusted". Inserts can be trimmed with scissors to fit in the toe area or try the 3/4 length. Wedges for me have never worked. Can't have a deep heel at the angle of wedge or heels. The original orthoheel shoes were wider and flatter. I find that if it is not strapped up high on my foot (mary janes style or clogs) foot does not go into the shoe enough and rides on the heel. To have the deep heel cup you must have a deepish shoe -- thus ballet flats won't allow as much of heel cup as I need.

All of this advice is only on ME! You must give yourself permission to try shoes out -- brands and even styles vary. If the shoe hurts or can't make the whole day then it goes! If the podiatrist does not recognize you as the only valid expert on your feet -- get out of there. Many have tried to tell me the orthodic is perfect -- except it didn't feel good and would not fit in any shoe. I have really good luck with Orthoheel and Vionic sport (flat) orthodics in a variety of clogs and mary janes. I have just bought a couple of new pairs -- yes your foot does get longer as the bones flatten and have less arch as your tendons etc. stretch and stiffen with age. Anybody want my experience -- 35 years and counting. Hundreds of dollars worth of experiements (and a closet full of failure) but my feet still good enough to walk. Probably better than when I taught because not daily beating.

• 1 month later...

Sorry this is a somewhat outdated thread, but I couldn't help responding to OP--you need Naots! A couple of years ago, I had really bad foot pain as you are describing--I did not see a doctor so I cannot confirm if it was plantar fasciitis. However, one day we were traveling and the pain was so bad that I couldn't walk across the parking lot. We ended up in The Walking Company which is a chain of shoe stores that sells only ortho-friendly brands. I bought a pair of Abeo shoes and a pair of Naots.

Both brands--Abeo and Naot--have been lifechanging for me! My pain was gone within 24 hours. These are now the only brands I will buy. I wear Naots all day/every day at work and never have any pain, but if I occasionally wear a different brand my heels will start to ache and I know it's time to switch to my Naots.

Naot makes tons of cute sandals; I wore a cute strappy bronze pair on our Caribbean cruise in February and got several compliments!

They are expensive but I promise they will change your life!

• 1 month later...