Charleston S.C. hotels

MURCOTT

DH and I just tonight started talking about Charleston. Reading all these posts have made me really want to come spend a couple of extra days ....plus I'm now hungry for some great food. Spring is a long way off ............

Charleston does seem to have a lot to offer. We plan to do a Tri-Combo Tour with http://www.charlestonharbortours.com. This includes Charleston Harbor Tour, Carriage Tour of historic district in Charleston and admission to Boone Hall Plantation in Mt. Pleasant. The price is only $59.00 for all three. :)

Barb

Charleston does seem to have a lot to offer. We plan to do a Tri-Combo Tour with www.charlestonharbortours.com. This includes Charleston Harbor Tour, Carriage Tour of historic district in Charleston and admission to Boone Hall Plantation in Mt. Pleasant. The price is only $59.00 for all three. :)

Barb

That will save you $10 off the non coupon, regular rate if there is no additional ticketing fee. You might call them directly and ask if they have a AAA, AARP or where there are other coupons/discounts.

There is a Charleston coupon publication called "Traveler of Charleston" for other things you may want to do. http://travelerofcharleston.com/ You can view them online or pick up one of their magazines which is widely distributed throughout Charleston's hotels & Visitor Centers.

Since you'll be in Mt. Pleasant, you may want to visit Patriots Point, one of South Carolina's most attended attractions. There's the WWII aircraft carrier USS Yorktown, the destroyer USS Laffey and a cold war submarine. Last year they expanded their Vietnam exhibit to three acres with interactive exhibits, severak helicopters and more.

You could happily spend several days enjoying Charleston. Many people who cruise, come back for a land vacation because there so much to see and do. :) The Convention & Visitors Bureau will mail you a free visitors guide. http://www.charlestoncvb.com.

I hope y'all enjoy Charleston!

Edited by ChucktownSteve

Charleston does seem to have a lot to offer. We plan to do a Tri-Combo Tour with http://www.charlestonharbortours.com. This includes Charleston Harbor Tour, Carriage Tour of historic district in Charleston and admission to Boone Hall Plantation in Mt. Pleasant. The price is only $59.00 for all three. :)

Barb

Be aware of one thing...the harbor tour does not get you on to Ft Sumter. (If you want to visit it). It will take you close to/ around it but you won't get to dock and visit. If you want to see it, you can either depart form downtown by the aquarium or from Patriot's point and it is a separate ticket.

Be aware of one thing...the harbor tour does not get you on to Ft Sumter. (If you want to visit it). It will take you close to/ around it but you won't get to dock and visit. If you want to see it, you can either depart form downtown by the aquarium or from Patriot's point and it is a separate ticket.

Actually it's Spiritline cruises that has the Ft. Sumter tour contract not Charleston Harbor Tours.

If you take that tour from downtown, you'll park in a garage near Aquarium Wharf that charges $1 per half hour. If you go out of Patriots Point, the flat fee parking there is $5. The total tour time is 2 1/4 hours with 1 hour spent on the fort.

If you go out of Patriots Point you can do the Ft. Sumter tour and visit the entire Patriots Point facility for the same $5 flat fee.

http://www.patriotspoint.org

http://www.fortsumtertours.com/

Edited by ChucktownSteve

For this trip I'm thinking getting close to/around Ft. Sumter will be enough. I just had a knee replacement and the day we have planned seems to be plenty for all 3 of us. We also don't have a car so will be getting around by taxi or as Meg suggested, Uber. Next trip [already thinking there will be a next trip] I'll probably have my husband with me and I wouldn't be able to keep him from a full tour of Ft. Sumter. Thanks for the heads up though.

Barb

Actually it's Spiritline cruises that has the Ft. Sumter tour contract not Charleston Harbor Tours.

If you take that tour from downtown, you'll park in a garage near Aquarium Wharf that charges $1 per half hour. If you go out of Patriots Point, the flat fee parking there is $5. The total tour time is 2 1/4 hours with 1 hour spent on the fort.

If you go out of Patriots Point you can do the Ft. Sumter tour and visit the entire Patriots Point facility for the same $5 flat fee.

http://www.patriotspoint.org

http://www.fortsumtertours.com/

I know. I just wanted to make sure folks know these are two different deals. Wouldn't want someone to buy a harbor cruise and thinking they are going to be able to visit the fort. I've known a couple people that made that mistake and were disappointed. (The same thing happens in San Francisco with Alcatraz sometimes as well.) And I agree that going from Patriots point is a much better deal and you get more bang for your buck. (I have an annual membership so I visit PP quite often to take pics as I am a naval history nerd.:D )

Does anyone have a list of those who offer park and cruise? I went to the CVB site, but husband read a horrible review of the Holiday Inn Express that involved the shuttle driver.

Help, please.

Thank you.

What I usually recommend is looking at the inflated cost of the hotel package for park n cruise vs. lower room rate with the short time parking at the port. Then add in the inconvenience of waiting for the hotel van vs. going straight to your car and heading home. Most people opt for the port parking.

I believe that's why a lot of hotels aren't offering those types of packages much anymore. The ones that do are usually further out of the downtown area.

Does anyone have a list of those who offer park and cruise? I went to the CVB site, but husband read a horrible review of the Holiday Inn Express that involved the shuttle driver.

Help, please.

Thank you.

I did quite a bit of research on all the hotels listed on the CVB website and found the prices they have listed are extremely outdated. I even called a few places, including the Holiday Inn Express and the staff was so rude when I was asking about the park and cruise that I did not feel comfortable booking there.

Unless you have several folks in your group, it may be cheaper/more convenient to park at the port from what I've gathered.

I did quite a bit of research on all the hotels listed on the CVB website and found the prices they have listed are extremely outdated. I even called a few places, including the Holiday Inn Express and the staff was so rude when I was asking about the park and cruise that I did not feel comfortable booking there.

Unless you have several folks in your group, it may be cheaper/more convenient to park at the port from what I've gathered.

So the CVB site was giving you set prices for hotel rooms? That's very strange, as hotel rates change all the time based on supply and demand, and it's rare that a 3rd party site like the CVB would be up to date on a daily basis.

So the CVB site was giving you set prices for hotel rooms? That's very strange, as hotel rates change all the time based on supply and demand, and it's rare that a 3rd party site like the CVB would be up to date on a daily basis.

The stay and cruise area of the CVB site is a promotional sub-site. The hotel writes their copy which also says "from" when listing a price. The page then links to the individual hotel's web site where the property dynamically shows room rates based upon dates selected like any hotel web site. The key is whether you're using a package promo code or the hotel site lists the stay & cruise package promotion.

A phone call to the hotel can sometimes get the package if the desk people have been properly trained.

Regarding the CVB site: some listings are included in the tourist business' Travel Council membership level. Other areas require special advertising rates for additional exposure.

Edited by ChucktownSteve

The stay and cruise area of the CVB site is a promotional sub-site. The hotel writes their copy which also says "from" when listing a price. The page then links to the individual hotel's web site where the property dynamically shows room rates based upon dates selected like any hotel web site.

That's what I figured, then. "From" tends to be in tiny print on such sites and is often missed. The result is that people see a "from" price and assume it's a firm quote, regardless of actual travel date, room selection, etc.

One of the problems you encounter when calling a hotel directly for information is that the front desk is usually not staffed to handle check-in/check-out volumes and speak for a long time on the phone trying to handle a lot of questions. Other times they may not be trained properly in customer relations.

So when you call, timing may have a bearing on their rudeness; even though it shouldn't. Try to avoid the front desk peak times and the overnight staff who may not have been as informed as the day staff.

The Charleston Convention & Visitors Bureau does periodically offer training sessions for front line people dealing with visitors but not all hotel properties take advantage of them.

That's why many times if you call a larger hotel or chain affiliate directly you'll be redirected to their call center.

Edited by ChucktownSteve