UDP Getting charged for add ones on Gem

tlreze

Did you specifically ask about the new premium items, as that is where there seems to be discrepancies on the ships. Some ships say they are included, some say they are not included, some say included with the UDP, but not the SDP and others say included with the SDP, but not the UDP.

I was wondering the same thing :) Your emails to NCL were very clear and the answers not so much. I think clarity would be welcome for everyone's sake. I worry about the staff getting hollered at by the passengers for saying no, or by their supervisors for saying yes!

I worry about the staff getting hollered at by the passengers for saying no, or by their supervisors for saying yes!
I plan to leave the waitstaff out of it altogether. We will order what we want to eat, and let them charge whatever they think they are supposed to. Save all the charge slips, and get an appointment with the restaurant manager at the end of the cruise to ask for the extra charges to be taken off. No "hollering" required, hopefully.

I plan to leave the waitstaff out of it altogether. We will order what we want to eat, and let them charge whatever they think they are supposed to. Save all the charge slips, and get an appointment with the restaurant manager at the end of the cruise to ask for the extra charges to be taken off. No "hollering" required, hopefully.

That's a good way to handle it, I hope others do the same. I'm not a "hollerer" either, but I've been witness to it. It's not pretty.

I dislike that method solely because you'll be at their mercy at the end of the cruise and based on the changes to the terms, who knows what they'll consider as applicable. Then you'll have to escalate. The fun will never end!

I wonder how the procedure is actually handled? As in, when they swipe your card to get your meal taken off, is it automatic based on how your card is coded or does it have to be manually removed by a manager? That would probably clarify things, because if the restaurant staff is just guessing but it is removed automatically, you could order a premium entree regardless of what they say and see what happens.

I'll certainly be watching how all of this plays out. I have a print out of the t&c for the Freestyle Choice Plus promo that I booked, along with the t&c of the UDP from the time period when I booked, and I'll be taking them along.

I wouldn't wait until the end of the cruise to address any extra charges with the restaurant manager, but maybe the next day. I do like the idea of not hassling it during the meal, because why ruin it?

I wouldn't wait until the end of the cruise to address any extra charges with the restaurant manager, but maybe the next day.
Yes, I might do that the first time it happens, but make it clear to them that the issue is going to come up again several times during the cruise, and would they prefer that we have the same discussion again each time, or is there a way to fix things once and for all?

Yes, I might do that the first time it happens, but make it clear to them that the issue is going to come up again several times during the cruise, and would they prefer that we have the same discussion again each time, or is there a way to fix things once and for all?

Exactly. We will have the iConcierge App to keep in contact with the kids anyway, so can use it to keep on top of our account each day.

I was wondering the same thing :) Your emails to NCL were very clear and the answers not so much. I think clarity would be welcome for everyone's sake. I worry about the staff getting hollered at by the passengers for saying no, or by their supervisors for saying yes!
I worry about the same. Hopefully, folks don't take this out on the severs, as they are only following directions.

We were on the Pearl in August and were not charged for any of the premium selections. The waiters specifically asked if we had the UDP when we ordered, and confirmed that we would not incur additional charges.

That said, it sounds like each ship tells its passengers different things. I have 2 more cruises booked for July2016 and December 2016. I booked them in March and April of this year. Do any of you have the T&C around that time? I'd love to have a copy to keep for myself. I really didn't think to print them out nor that I would need them, but now I worry since my cruises are a year away, and I'm afraid they'll "forget" about the terms under which I booked.

Thanks!

Did you specifically ask about the new premium items......

My email to NCL did specifically ask about reports from ships that guests are being charged extra for menu items considered "premium" at Cagneys and LeBistro. NCL said the only extra charge was for a person who has a 2nd entree.

I do not know the name of my promo but the T&CS at the time I booked did not mention any surcharges for additional entrees at Cagneys and LeBistro....

$10 surcharge for additional entrees. It's in the FAQs under UDP terms and conditions. We had UDP in Nov 2014 before all these changes. There was $10 surcharge for a 2nd entree at Cagneys and LeBistro back then too.

My email to NCL did specifically ask about reports from ships that guests are being charged extra for menu items considered "premium" at Cagneys and LeBistro. NCL said the only extra charge was for a person who has a 2nd entree.

Wow, NCL Corporate tells me one thing and PR Department tells you something different. I think NCL has to get their stuff together on this.

I know I specifically asked on my email and their answer didn't included any mention of the specialty items and then when I re-asked, telling them they didn't answer the question, that is when they said they were not included.

Wondering if they are included in the UDP, but not the SDP and that is why there is so much conflicting information. I guess we will have to wait and see.

Edited by NLH Arizona

From NCL Public Relations -- Received Call Today. UDP booked during WAVE Promo includes the following on Escape and Getaway:

• Can dine at more than 1 specialty on same day -- (example - early dinner at Cagneys, late night dessert and coffee at LeBistro)
  • Cagneys, LeBistro, Moderno, LaCucina, Teppenyaki - No charge.
  • A La Carte Dining (Pincho Tapas Bar, Sushi, etc.) - 25% discount
  • Dinner Shows (For the Record, Illusionarium) - 25% discount
  • Bayamo - $15 surcharge
  • Ocean Blue - 25% discount changing to $15 surcharge after October 3
  • No limits on menu items but $10 for additional entree at Cagneys and LeBistro - same as before
  • I'm assuming Ocean Blue is still limited to 1 appetizer, 1 entree, 1 dessert; maybe Bayamo will be the same. But I did not ask about this.

So this list is from a phone call received from NCL? Good luck trying to convince the staff on the ship that 'a few months ago someone on the phone told me...' Prepare to be disappointed. So much misinformation over the phone. NCL does not even honor it's own written terms and conditions sometimes. I can almost guarantee you that you will not be able to get the new 'premium' selections without paying additional charges +18% service charge on top of that.

Wow, NCL Corporate tells me one thing and PR Department tells you something different. I think NCL has to get their stuff together on this.

I know I specifically asked on my email and their answer didn't included any mention of the specialty items and then when I re-asked, telling them they didn't answer the question, that is when they said they were not included.

Wondering if they are included in the UDP, but not the SDP and that is why there is so much conflicting information. I guess we will have to wait and see.

I believe that Until ncl publishes specifics in writing for both its staff and consumers this confusion will continue. As mentioned, we were informed entirely different things from restaurant to restaurant on the same ship, let alone standard policy fleet wide. Once ala carte dining rolls out things may change yet again.

I find the lack of consistency and communication far more frustrating than the charges themselves. Hard to have high levels of confidence in the product when the communication channels are this dysfunctional,

I just got back and it took all week to resolve me ordering the lobster at LeBistro..........Here is what they are doing now and they said Gem and Epic are first to change. They do not call them add ons, they are now specialty meals in each restaurant with a new charge $9.99 up to $19.99 and they are excluded from the plans. I even showed them the UDP FAQ section where it mentioned it included add ons such as Lobster in LeBistro and it still took me complaining on Friday for the 3rd time to get it removed. I said while it was only $23.58 (2 of us ordered it) that I would complain to corporate as it is the principle of it.

If you are going on the GEM be prepared - no extras are covered under the UDP in any restaurants. Even The free Orchid restaurant has speciality meals with a charge now

I just got back and it took all week to resolve me ordering the lobster at LeBistro..........Here is what they are doing now and they said Gem and Epic are first to change. They do not call them add ons, they are now specialty meals in each restaurant with a new charge $9.99 up to $19.99 and they are excluded from the plans. I even showed them the UDP FAQ section where it mentioned it included add ons such as Lobster in LeBistro and it still took me complaining on Friday for the 3rd time to get it removed. I said while it was only $23.58 (2 of us ordered it) that I would complain to corporate as it is the principle of it.

If you are going on the GEM be prepared - no extras are covered under the UDP in any restaurants. Even The free Orchid restaurant has speciality meals with a charge now

Just for clarity, can you confirm that the lobster you ordered was your only entree? You did not, for instance, order it in addition to a steak creating your own surf and turf and thereby invoking the $10 second entree fee.

I certainly hope we can get some answers from NCL which make sense before we cruise again. Maybe we should stop asking the PR Dept. They don't seem to be too adept at interpreting NCL policy. Apparently they don't know a UDP from an SDP. I don't want a battle after every meal.

I believe that Until ncl publishes specifics in writing for both its staff and consumers this confusion will continue. As mentioned, we were informed entirely different things from restaurant to restaurant on the same ship, let alone standard policy fleet wide. Once ala carte dining rolls out things may change yet again.

I find the lack of consistency and communication far more frustrating than the charges themselves. Hard to have high levels of confidence in the product when the communication channels are this dysfunctional,

I really have no skin in the game, as I wouldn't order any of the premium items, but I really wish NCL would get their communication department together. There has always been an issue with it and I'm really wondering why they don't see it.

Just for clarity, can you confirm that the lobster you ordered was your only entree? You did not, for instance, order it in addition to a steak creating your own surf and turf and thereby invoking the $10 second entree fee.

I certainly hope we can get some answers from NCL which make sense before we cruise again. Maybe we should stop asking the PR Dept. They don't seem to be too adept at interpreting NCL policy. Apparently they don't know a UDP from an SDP. I don't want a battle after every meal.

YES it was our meal and the ONLY thing we ordered...I showed the waiter the website and he said OK and gave me a zero bill but the next morning the $23.58 charge was on my account

With the current confusion, I also foresee problems when Cagneys and Le Bistro become a la carte in October. When many purchased the UDP, or were given it as a Promo, they were both included for no extra fee. The UDP terms say a la carte excluded (25% discount applies), but at the time the packages were bought or given, the only a la carte was Ocean Blue and the sushi places.

I can see them charging us a la carte at Cagneys and applying a 25% discount.

With the current confusion, I also foresee problems when Cagneys and Le Bistro become a la carte in October. When many purchased the UDP, or were given it as a Promo, they were both included for no extra fee. The UDP terms say a la carte excluded (25% discount applies), but at the time the packages were bought or given, the only a la carte was Ocean Blue and the sushi places.

I can see them charging us a la carte at Cagneys and applying a 25% discount.

From a NCL press release dated Jul 14, 2015: http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/pressroom/pressRelease.html?storyCode=PR_071415

Guests who purchase a Norwegian Specialty Dining Package have the freedom to indulge as they wish, as Specialty Dining Packages will allow guests to enjoy La Cucina, Le Bistro and Cagney's Steakhouse at no additional charge. Guests with a Specialty Dining Package can dine in Bayamo by Jose Garces for an additional fee of $15.

Also, successfully ordered the "upcharge" items in Cagneys without issue using the UDP on the Pearl in August.

Edited by mousecrazy

So this list is from a phone call received from NCL? Good luck trying to convince the staff on the ship that 'a few months ago someone on the phone told me...' Prepare to be disappointed. So much misinformation over the phone. NCL does not even honor it's own written terms and conditions sometimes. I can almost guarantee you that you will not be able to get the new 'premium' selections without paying additional charges +18% service charge on top of that.

Right. Getting a phone call was not promising. I was hoping to get something in writing. This switch from UDP to SDP and a la carte could be simple... if NCL would just put up complete terms and conditions and not change. I'm not on an unlimited budget and like to plan. With it being complicated, I'm tempted to just keep the UBP as our promotion instead of UDP (we get a choice and can change) and just eat at all the included places. Easier that way anyway and more time for entertainment, spa, relaxing.

Edited by SeaWatcher65

Even easier. Make sure you use a CREDIT CARD and not a CHARGE CARD. If you cannot obtain satisfaction on board, contact your credit card company when you get home with a copy of the terms and conditions and request a chargeback of the amount you are disputing. They will charge back NCL and you'll have the added satisfaction of knowing that NCL have had a chargeback fee (up to $50) for messing you about. In the UK there is the consumer credit act that means that card companies have to refund you by law for things they charged for but didn't deliver. Unsure if there is a parallel USA law but I do know that all card companies will quickly and courteously charge back if you can show that T&C have been breached and that you've lost money as a result.

From a NCL press release dated Jul 14, 2015: http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/pressroom/pressRelease.html?storyCode=PR_071415

Guests who purchase a Norwegian Specialty Dining Package have the freedom to indulge as they wish, as Specialty Dining Packages will allow guests to enjoy La Cucina, Le Bistro and Cagney's Steakhouse at no additional charge. Guests with a Specialty Dining Package can dine in Bayamo by Jose Garces for an additional fee of $15.

Also, successfully ordered the "upcharge" items in Cagneys without issue using the UDP on the Pearl in August.

Yes, this refers to the SDP, not the UDP. "At no additional charge" unless you are on the Gem and order lobster.;).

YES it was our meal and the ONLY thing we ordered...I showed the waiter the website and he said OK and gave me a zero bill but the next morning the $23.58 charge was on my account

This behaviour from your waiter was /is deplorable. At this point all you needed to do was ask guest services to provide the receipt for your dinner showing your signature. All they could show was a zero bill and therefore must remove the charge.

Rochelle

Yes, this refers to the SDP, not the UDP. "At no additional charge" unless you are on the Gem and order lobster.;).

ANYTHING on the GEM with a specialty cost in any restaurant is not included per the restaurant manager and concierge