Brilliance of the Seas Cough?

We were on BotS July 29th - August 10th this year, cruising to Norway, Faroe Isles and Iceland.

Both my husband and I (usually very healthy people in our 30s) have now been coughing for 6 weeks. To the point of being prescribed antibiotics that didn't work and an inhaler!! Fortunately, our daughter hasn't got it.

Has anybody else on this cruise had a bad cough too? Our GP insisted that it was bronchitis, but we think it may be more serious than that.

KW

One of the many names for this is the "Cruise Crud". It is an URI that is much easier to catch and harder to avoid than Noro. Noro needs a physical transfer of the virus such as when you have touched a "noro'ed"door handle and then touch your mouth, eyes or nose. The URI is airborne and someone coughs 5 rows behind you in a plane or sneezes in an elevator pretty well guarantee's that you will get it. I was sick for weeks when I got it (same as you) and I actually would have preferred Noro as it is over in 48 hrs. I missed 5 ports and ran up a Dr bill on the ship with my URI:(

There were quite a few ill with this and it was so amazing to see people cough into their hands!!! Ewww

Edited by Christine Frances

We were on this cruise as well. There were 10 of us, eight adults and two children, ages 12 & 11 and *knock wood* none of us got sick during or after the cruise.

I feel for what you are going through. I diagnosed with bronchitis this past April that lasted nearly 3 weeks and also had 2 inhalers and breathing treatments to no avail. Finally went on a 10 day steroid regimen that resolved the cough.

Hope you feel better!!!!

I got sick last year but after i felt better i still had this nasty cough for like 5 weeks. I finally broke down and went back to the dr but was told i wasn't sick. He said that that i had been coughing so hard while i was sick and i had coughed up stomach acids that do not usually reach the throat. He gave me a generic persciption for Prilosec and after about 36 hours it was completely gone. I remember thinking this dr is a wacko but i trust him now.

I bet you picked it up on the plane. Stuck for hours with recycled air and you can pick up the bug from anyone coughing on the plane.

Same thing happened to me when I flew to Barcelona on a Med cruise. Coughed for weeks afterwards. Next time, I'm wearing a mask on the plane.

I don't care how I look, just want to be healthy.

Feel better soon.

Also, our daughter is only 6 so she was in the same cabin and hasn't even had so much of a tickle in her throat.

We're worried it's whooping cough. Daughter is fully immunised, I never was and immunity can wear off.

Don't be worried.

The "go to" treatment in natural communities (who understand that even if people have the shots, the shots aren't 100% in any way, shape, or form, and therefore it's important to know how to treat or not treat things) is very high doses of sodium ascorbate. Dose just before the point of intolerance (you find that by seeing at what point you have very loose stools then bring it back).

Note that the only thing the vaccine does is prevent the "whoop". People full immunized can still get the bacteria and will react to it in the form of a mild cold. They'll still spread it but without the telltale breathing. And anyone who hasn't had shots, didn't react to the shots (and they never test after the fact, do they?), etc can then get it from the person who isn't obviously reacting to the toxin that causes the "whoop".

So it's actually the ones who aren't coughing we need to worry about, eh?

I've thought I had it. No doctor would diagnose me with it.

I also got SUPER sick after a cold visit to WDW; lost my voice for over a month, was just sick sick sick for a long time. No diagnosis, again. They aren't really interested in diagnosing people, it seems, at least in America.

I increased my nutrition, rested, took care of myself...got through the illnesses. You will, too.

Edited by mollyeilis

Also, our daughter is only 6 so she was in the same cabin and hasn't even had so much of a tickle in her throat.

We're worried it's whooping cough. Daughter is fully immunised, I never was and immunity can wear off.

If you were never immunised and have caught whooping cough, both you and your Dr would easily tell it apart from another cough. I am allergic to some vaccines so didn't have pertussis vax as a child and later caught it. The sound is terrifying, nothing like an ordinary cough.

If you were never immunised and have caught whooping cough, both you and your Dr would easily tell it apart from another cough. I am allergic to some vaccines so didn't have pertussis vax as a child and later caught it. The sound is terrifying, nothing like an ordinary cough.

To the OP:

I will add my experience. I was 13 when I got whooping cough. Actually my grandmother figured it out. The doctor was young and had no idea.

I definitely had the whoop, so bad that the whites of my eyes turned red from the broken blood vessels and had to take a sedative to sleep at night. My mom put a bucket next to my bed so that if I got sick to my stomach I didn't have to leave my bed to get sick.

The cough lasted for awhile. I remember certain foods could trigger a cough for months. I am not sure what medicine I received, just cough medicine. Now, they may have a medical protocol.

I hope you feel better soon, and I really hope you don't have whooping cough.

I got whooping cough a few years ago. My husband, visiting Canada with his elderly mother, came home with a cold. I caught the cold, and it ran the normal course, but then about a week after the cold was mostly over the coughing started. I didn't so much "whoop" but the coughing spells were horrible, it was hard to catch my breath and my head would just ache. I ended up with two broken ribs from coughing so hard. After about a month or so, the coughing eased up and eventually went away. A few months later my grandson got whooping cough and it was fairly easy for him, just miserable for a week or so.....I get being young helps.

I hope your cough gets better soon.

My guess is you got the cough (virus) from the airplane and not the ship. we were a group of 20 that sailed on this cruise and all the people in my group who took the Delta flight to Atlanta got sick. Those of us on different flights/airlines came home without any illness. The ones who got sick have the same cough you mentioned and they are still battling it.

I got sick last year but after i felt better i still had this nasty cough for like 5 weeks. I finally broke down and went back to the dr but was told i wasn't sick. He said that that i had been coughing so hard while i was sick and i had coughed up stomach acids that do not usually reach the throat. He gave me a generic persciption for Prilosec and after about 36 hours it was completely gone. I remember thinking this dr is a wacko but i trust him now.

Brillance Trans atlantic this spring, on first day developed a cough, it was so bad at night I could not sleep more than an hour without waking up. During the day I was up and about and felt pretty good, but lost my voice and yes the cough was so bad a night my whole body shook from it.

I rarely get any thing other than a mild cold, but am allergic to many things, it always felt like a allergy to some thing, so I never went to DR. It lasted the two weeks of the TA, but after enjoying Belgium beers(after cruise adventure) it seemed to go away.

OP not to worry you or anything but the bronchitis going around is very bad. I got it back in March and it developed into bronchial asthma. The inhalers need to be used correctly. There are spacers but you can make one. Get a Neti pot bottle and cut a hole in the bottom big enough to fit your inhaler snugly. Rinse afterwards to get all particles out. Put inhaler upright in hole put uncapped end in mouth. Slowly breathe in as you depress inhaler. This will get most of the medicine into your lungs as opposed to the back of your throat.

The treatment for pertussis is for the symptoms - any coughing or wheezing may respond to an inhaled bronchodilator while your immune system gets rid of the infection. Antibiotics are given to prevent the spread of the infection to others, especially infants who aren't fully immunized. Immunity after the immunization does wane with time, which is why a booster at age 11 is recommended. The vaccine is also recommended for any adult who comes in contact with infants.

I developed a sore throat 11 days into a 14 day Celebrity Eclipse cruise last February and it progressed to a cough, wheezing and difficulty breathing very rapidly. Once home I decided time would win out but I only got worse. Finally, my doc diagnosed me with bronchitis which was induced by a virus

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I got 'the cough' on Celebrity Eclipse July 2013. I was croaky half way through the cruise but came back with a cough lasting 3 weeks. No meds touched it.

After researching I found info on cruise cough and since have bought saline nasal spray and use it twice a day on a cruise and to date have been fine.

My OH got 'the cough' in June this year on Eclipse and its still lingering. The common view is that the aircon environment dries out your nasel passages so they pick up bugs more readily. Another 'cure' seems to be hanging a wet towel in your cabin overnight to keep the humidity up.

I got 'the cough' on Celebrity Eclipse July 2013. I was croaky half way through the cruise but came back with a cough lasting 3 weeks. No meds touched it.

After researching I found info on cruise cough and since have bought saline nasal spray and use it twice a day on a cruise and to date have been fine.

My OH got 'the cough' in June this year on Eclipse and its still lingering. The common view is that the aircon environment dries out your nasel passages so they pick up bugs more readily. Another 'cure' seems to be hanging a wet towel in your cabin overnight to keep the humidity up.

Thanks for those suggestions...we will be sailing Eclipse again in February and will definitely employ them. We're booked in the same 1A cabin which gives me a little pause--if I experience the same problem I'll be avoiding it in the future like "the plague!"

Hi All,

Thanks for your replies and well wishes. We're having good days and bad days. When it's bad it gets to the point where I'm passing out or vomiting from the cough. When it's good I have a coughing fit, but spaced out through the day. Definitely worse at night. I think I've had 3 undisturbed nights in 5 weeks!

We are in the UK, so definitely did not get it on a plane. Yep, I've got a bronchodilator inhaler with the spacer and codeine cough medicine. If it's still no better next week I'm going to go back to the doctor.

Next time we cruise we'll use the advice from this thread!

KW