Alaska Cruise on the Oceania Regatta

holidaybliss

I'm looking at this cruise in the future. If I book an inside cabin, how easy is it to find places to sit and view the scenery?

The other thing that intrigues me is that even though this cruise leaves Seattle it goes up the inside passage. About what time does it get to this part of the cruise?

I'm enjoying hearing the stories about this cruise as I am considering it for May/June 2016 or June or August 2017. I'm a bit concerned about whether we'll enjoy the ship as we've only been on the O ships to date so have to decide between June and August, and Oceania and Regent. So - thank you for this thread!

Well thank you all,we've booked Seattle/Seattle on Regatta (My very favourite little ship) for next June and reading all your experiences and lovely comments is making me doubly look forward to it. (we are on the roll call).

Our plan is this: fly Manchester Iceland a couple of days there then Seattle with a couple of days there and then................Regatta! and our Alaska cruise!

regards,

Josie:)

I'm looking at this cruise in the future. If I book an inside cabin, how easy is it to find places to sit and view the scenery?

The other thing that intrigues me is that even though this cruise leaves Seattle it goes up the inside passage. About what time does it get to this part of the cruise?

they are the same size ifnot bigger than many outside cabins... and you will find plenty of space everywhere....itsonly a 600paxship....not like those 2500-3000 floating cities On Regatta the 2 best cabins are either inside or penthouse...

You will enter the inside passage around 6 to 7 pm and go through the narrows around 3 am.. by 6 am you will be out of the passage north of Vancouver island... Its a night passage whether out of Seattle or Vanvouver

Gee, Dan, I don't think I can completely agree with you. About the cabins.

Well, depending on budget, the choice might be between the inside or a PH, and ignoring everything between. Usually we are in a PH, but we started out in a Deck 7 Veranda with Renaissance, and did have an Owner's once and a Vista once (many years ago) on Oceania.

I myself am not a candidate for an inside because we spend a lot of time in the cabin ... so no windows or veranda would be a no-go for us. But if one can afford the bigger spaces, they really are lovely!

If I had to choose between an inside and a standard Veranda, I'd go for the veranda. (When we first started cruising as relative youngsters, we had bunk beds... I'm no longer up for that!)

Once I discovered the PH I switched from the standard veranda ... I liked the extra width in the room which let us both cross over from front to back at the same time ...not to mention the larger bathroom.

But this is not important to everyone, I know that.

Again, the most important thing is COST vs. BUDGET, and the amount of time you want to spend in the cabin. Most insiders appear to say that they are never in the cabin so they don't care about no view. If you want a view ... well, it seems like the choice is obvious. (It doesn't have to be a PH or an OS to get you a view.)

But in terms of a view on the Alaska cruise, the Vista seems to be the best bet from your room! I have taken photos on such cruises from a PH but you're on the side, and that isn't perfect. You can still go up top to get great photos or views if that is what you want. And then it doesn't matter what cabin you are in.

And they ARE the best views, other than a Vista ...

Mura

I did a lot of checking on cabin dimensions and the insides are larger than about all the veranda. The verandas on R ships are really an inside with a balcony ... and you are right the view from the side is not great unless on deck.

If you want a veranda the Penthouse is by far a better value than the regular veranda since its 50%larger but not that much more cost. and they are ondeck 8 with zip-zip access. I get my insides on deck 8 so I have the same access

You like the vista... great... they would be my last choice because of the wind and weather they catch..I have been on enough ships to avoid these weather traps... I mean at min your going to have a 25 mile per hour wind always on you and when the ship sails into the wind, as they try you can easily have a 35 mphto 50 mph gale. Not to mention the weather will slam directly onto your veranda... The Bridge above is full enclosed...ever wonder why??? And ondeck 7 and 6 your much further from the action and have along walk .

Back to the Veranda or inside orPH. In Alaska, your going to hit rain about 50% of the total time and the air temp and weather make it not pleasant. Because of this,in Alaska I would only get an inside... because why pay to have access to rotten weather. Rather... head up to Horizons, and have a drink or coffee... You can get a whole lot of drinks in the Horizon for the difference.

So, I pick a cabin according to potential weather, ship type and size with price being last. That is I look at how much actual utilization of a cabin of any type will I get to realize? In doing the med, spain and Madera cruise on an R ship I went for the penthouse because the perceived cabin utilization was far greater than Alaska. Likewise, Asia in winter... Id be back inside.. Value has to be there.

SO, KIDDO to me its not a budget but a value consideration... what do I get per dollar.... Spending more is no guarantee of anything...