Pride of America Cost - worth it?

DandDM

So POA to Hawaii, which cruises would you pick for Alaska/Bermuda?

I sail NCL to Bermuda out of Boston and NYC. If another cruiseline offered cut rates, :) I would not hesitate to book with them either. But I'd rather sail out of NYC than Bayonne anyway.

As for Alaska- it's another destination for me, based on the priority of what's outside the ship. I do NOT agree that Glacier Bay- is the only priority.

I have sailed all the major lines in Alaska with the exception of Disney. More important is to know what you are looking at with the itineraries and to have your activities known before you book the cruise. :)

So POA to Hawaii, which cruises would you pick for Alaska/Bermuda?

For Alaska we cruised on the Norwegian Sky, when it was Round trip from Seattle. That ship is not doing Alaska anymore. If I were to do it again, I would choose a cruise which includes a trip to Denali or the Alaska Railroad.

I go to Bermuda fairly often on the Norwegian Dawn out of Boston. Why, because it's handy.

I prefered Hawaii and Bermuda to Alaska.

My wife and I did the POA back in 2012 through a TA. Wouldn't recommend the TA if my life depended on it, but because they had group space we got balcony cabins for about $500pp less than the going rate at the time.

Might be worth seeing if you can find a TA with group rates. Because the Hawaii sailing are so popular the TAs will make their own custom groups. It's not like you're crashing somebody's company party or something.

What's the difference between sailing out of Boston and Ny/Bayonne?

for me, it's little difference, but, I usually fly to Boston, and then easy, cheap- (free) bus to the port. :) Boston is also a great city. :)

But- I -really- enjoy NYC, especially the theater, so spend a lot of time there every year. Easy to add a cruise. :) Bayonne is a "pain" to get to/from NYC. But there is an express bus from Albany if I'm not adding a NYC visit.

When is the best time to go to Hawaii for price, weather?

Look at the POA cruise on the website as if you were going to book. Just don't take it all the way through to the end;). You can easily see prices for each category of cabin for months and even years out. It is easy to see which months have higher prices, probably the whale season months when it is cold on much of the Mainland, and which ones have lower prices. We booked for mid August and I noticed that prices dropped off some after the dates schools resume in the fall.

Temperatures vary little in Hawaii from season to season, but some seasons have more rain than others. But the showers are usually very brief. You can google for info on Hawaii seasons, but I think our "winter months" tend to have more rain in Hawaii, while the summer are dryer. Also in the late summer and fall, there is some possibility of Hurricane, just as there is in the Caribbean.

Is there any ports that are tendered In or is the cruise docked? And is there a certain time you have to be back at the ship by?

Kona on the Big Island, Hawaii, is the only tendered port. If the ship is docked overnight, like in Maui and Kauai, there is no curfew to be back on board. You can stay out all night if you like or come and go at your leisure.

On the days the ship is scheduled to depart, your itinerary will tell you the "all aboard" time. It varies from port to port. The ship usually leaves 30 minutes after the all aboard time. For Kona, I believe the last tender is at 5:00 with all aboard at 5:30. The ship departs at 6:00.

Is there any ports that are tendered In or is the cruise docked? And is there a certain time you have to be back at the ship by?

If you don't do, POA, Lahaina is also a tender port, that in many ways is a big advantage.

Kona, as already mentioned is a tender port, with you also NOT wanting to do any airport car rentals.

When is the best time to go to Hawaii for price, weather?

The "best" price, over the last few years, have been late booking.

My priority is the humpbacks, so I go every Feb. The water is a little colder- where I bring my wet suit jacket, whereas, I don't in the summer or early fall.

As mentioned, Hawaii is pretty even, which a narrow range of difference.

You can Go when it fits your time best? IF you want to see the pipeline- or whales then the winter is the time.

• 3 weeks later...

Our first cruise was on the POA Sept 11.

Let me say this: In no way on hell or earth did I get the $$$$ money's worth in this cruise. The ship itself is in need of demolition, and between the poor excuse for upscale restaurant quality in some places and the downright awful shore /pre cruise excursions (including crappy bus, pathetic garbage lunches and such) I can say :

for the love of your common sense and wallet do not do this cruise.

The many folks onboard who told us of the better(celebrity, or oceania) convinced us to try a different line. We will. But I feel like I threw away thousands on this. We could have done a few islands for this price.

IF you like throwing away money, do it. but be forewarned. Value is important to me, and I am no skinflint. But garbage brown salad unrefrigerated on a 96 degree excursion day was bad. and the pre cruise food lunches were even worse!

Edited by YankeePenny

Let me say this: In no way on hell or earth did I get the $$$$ money's worth in this cruise. The ship itself is in need of demolition, and between the poor excuse for upscale restaurant quality in some places and the downright awful shore /pre cruise excursions (including crappy bus, pathetic garbage lunches and such) I can say :

The many folks onboard who told us of the better(celebrity, or oceania) convinced us to try a different line. We will. But I feel like I threw away thousands on this. We could have done a few islands for this price.

IF you like throwing away money, do it. but be forewarned. Value is important to me, and I am no skinflint. But garbage brown salad unrefrigerated on a 96 degree excursion day was bad. and the pre cruise food lunches were even worse!

If all of your complaints are pre-cruise, how does that have anything to do with the ship?

47 posts and joined in 4/2015 enough said!

Edited by FranknBeans

Wow, this makes me nervous. What was the problem with the ship, may I ask? Sounds like the precruise stay and excursions were a disaster, but what about the POA. I hope you complained to NCL about the problems you had. I would be interested in hearing more.

We just sailed this ship in August 2014 and no way is it in need of demolition. It just under went a dry dock in 2013 for an update in Suite cabins, etc, and is scheduled for another in March 2016 for some public areas. NCL has not been specific on exact plans. The ship was just fine when we sailed it in 2014. We loved this cruise so much we have rebooked for 2016.

You will find no better itinerary and ship if your goal is to see as much of Hawaii as possible. If I want to just CRUISE, then I will book the Escape with all the bells and whistles and go to the Caribbean where I will have much more "on board" time with sea days and short port days and those bells and whistles will be worth it. They are wasted on this itinerary.

If you take a look at the Ports of Call Message Board here for Hawaii, you will find lots of info on how people tour the islands from a cruise ship. Most find that their own rental car gets them much more bang for the buck vs any booked tour. And those who do book the occassional tour find that anything booked through an independent tour provider is far superior in content, experience and price than one booked through a ship, and this does not only apply to NCL.

We stayed both pre and post cruise, booked our own hotels, cars and tours independently. Much better experience and price than any "package deal". This cruise is top two we have ever done.

You will find no better itinerary and ship if your goal is to see as much of Hawaii as possible. If I want to just CRUISE, then I will book the Escape with all the bells and whistles and go to the Caribbean where I will have much more "on board" time with sea days and short port days and those bells and whistles will be worth it. They are wasted on this itinerary.

This cruise is top two we have ever done.

THIS ^^^^

We have done this cruise twice and enjoyed it a lot both times, as has been said just think of the POA as a floating hotel.

We just sailed this ship in August 2014 and no way is it in need of demolition. It just under went a dry dock in 2013 for an update in Suite cabins, etc, and is scheduled for another in March 2016 for some public areas. NCL has not been specific on exact plans. The ship was just fine when we sailed it in 2014. We loved this cruise so much we have rebooked for 2016.

If you take a look at the Ports of Call Message Board here for Hawaii, you will find lots of info on how people tour the islands from a cruise ship. Most find that their own rental car gets them much more bang for the buck vs any booked tour. And those who do book the occassional tour find that anything booked through an independent tour provider is far superior in content, experience and price than one booked through a ship, and this does not only apply to NCL.

We stayed both pre and post cruise, booked our own hotels, cars and tours independently. Much better experience and price than any "package deal". This cruise is top two we have ever done.

I whole heartedly agree with this post! We cruised on her in May of 2015 and loved it! It is a floating hotel and there is really no better way to see Hawaii. Value is all relative. For the price we paid for our suite, we saved money as opposed to doing it all on land. It is so nice to only unpack once! We are going back next year and doing a back to back sailing, because we enjoyed it so much! I highly recommend you give it a go, you won't be sorry. I too was nervous from reading all the negative posts. However, we had no issues!

I am always Leary of bad reviews. We are booked on this cruise and are "going it alone" from most ports. I am sure we will have a great time and take the criticism in stride, but seems like the ratings have dropped on this cruise lately. I wonder if NCL watches these forums. We sailed to the Bahamas on NCL and liked the experience, but not the Bahamas so much. I think it is in your expectations for most people. We just want a fun vacation. I think we will get it. It is mind boggling expensive, but Hawaii IS expensive no matter what.

between the pre-cruise crappy excursions and stops and the cruise, and all was NOT worth the money. the ship itself was not worth the money, and the excursions before and during were NOT up to par. Un refrigerated brown salad, third world bathrooms and rickety buses were NOT worth the money.

save your money, stay at a hotel.

AND, The highly regarded Jefferson's Bisto was by far one of the worst meals we have ever had in our lives.

Edited by YankeePenny

Wow! How hideously wrong is this post? We sailed on the America the same year in April. Very clean ship and an excellent crew. Out of nearly 30 cruises on NCL, this remains one of our favorites. Paying today's prices, I am not sure. We paid less than half what aft balconies are going for today. But being able to experience four islands is wonderful.

We just returned to Maui for a week as we felt that was the island we needed to return to most. Our week in 5 star resorts was less than a week on the ship in a balcony cabin...

Land based at this time may be your best bet...