Suite upgrade

qoap24

My family and I of 3 are trying to decide if we should upgrade to a suite.

My question is when do you usually ask for an upgrade? Do you risk it and wait until it gets closer with the chance of price being less or do you book it as soon as possible?

Thanks

My family and I of 3 are trying to decide if we should upgrade to a suite.

My question is when do you usually ask for an upgrade? Do you risk it and wait until it gets closer with the chance of price being less or do you book it as soon as possible?

Thanks

The closer you get to your sail date the less chance there will be a suite available. Maybe someone will cancel and you'll get a chance. Why not give NCL a call and see what they are willing to negotiate.

We did negotiate a suite for a previous cruise and while the deal wasn't what I would call "sweet" we did receive a small discount.

Good Luck:)

There are way too many variables here to even hedge a guess on getting a true upsell without paying full price.

Which suite, which ship, what sailing, how many physical suites are there in the category, how fast is the ship filling, how fast are the suites filling - the answers to these and perhaps other questions could determine your outcome.

For my upcoming cruise next year - I wanted a specific type of suite - an SC I looked and there were only ten of them on the Dawn. I watched last fall as to how fast they filled up for this year - noting that that class of suite filled up before several others - I decided not to wait very long - in fact I booked as soon as the 2016 itineraries were announced :D BTW we are over a year out and that category and one or two others are sold out :cool:

I just upgraded myself from a forward PH to an aft PH 18 days prior to my sailing. I debated doing this because they didn't offer any discount at all and there were still 6 aft PH available. I decided to pony-up....and I'm glad I did!! All the aft suites sold out a couple days ago! :cool:

Hi Grop 24...I always book an Aft Suite and then about two weeks before the Cruise I have my TA check to see if there is a better Suite available at a better price. This is about the time they are trying to fill all of the Cabins and some previous Cabins become available! Good Luck! See you on the Jewel!

We kept our eyes open for a better deal on a higher category of cabin all the way up until sail date. The irony is that we had actually originally booked a Gty balcony cabin but ended up sailing in a two bedroom family suite. As time went on, prices continued to drop because of cabin availability.. We seemed to proceed almost stepwise through the categories until we finally ended up with what we considered a great deal. There was no magical upsell call, but just diligence in checking the prices listed on the website and then calling to get that lower price on the higher category. There were people who ended up with a slightly better price on this cabin after final payment date than we had received, but NCL was gracious enough to ease the blow by giving us onboard credit to make up some of the difference.

Please keep in mind that we certainly paid much more for the 2 bedroom suite than we would have for the GTY Balcony.. We just didn't pay as much for the suite as we would have if we originally booked it and paid the price that was on the room at the time of our original booking. The truth is, we would have been happy enough in the balcony cabin, but as prices came down.. our interest in upgrading increased.

I have also seen the prices readily rise as availability decreased. It is a roll of the dice as to what will actually happen.. I think the best advice is, book the category that you and your family will be happy in, and then stretch upward if it appears to be worth it to you. If you find the prices lower, call and ask them to honor it for your booking.. As long as it is not passed final payment, they just might honor it. Like the stock market... It goes up and down.. limit your exposure to volatility by selecting what you are comfortable with at first and then make your moves as opportunity arises.