Requesting chefs table

denmarks

Is using the dine line as soon as I arrive in my room the best way to reserve the chefs table? Is the phone number actually d-i-n-e?

Yes, call the dine line as soon as you get into your cabin. Not sure about the #, but there may be a button on the phone. Call Pax services to get the # if it is not. Chef's table is only a request. There is no guarantee until the chef and maitr'e decide to do and it will be limited in how often, maybe only once. A lot depends on demand also. You will get a message and or letter to meet if you are successful.

I did it on the Crown last October and loved it

Edited by hpeabody

The reason I am asking is that I want to know the official way. A few years ago I signed up at a table outside one of the restaurants which was supposed to be for reservations. A few hours later I called the dine line to verify it and they had not received the request and took my name and cabin. There must be a single list and going to the wrong place just causes you to have a middle man. I did get selected for it and wanted to go again. The dine line seems the most logical. The matre d is going to be busy switching tables for people.

I just found this at the Princess site.

"The Chef's Table* experience can be reserved by up to 10 passengers per night, at an additional cost. Reservations are made onboard through the ship's DINE telephone line or in person at the dining reservations table set up on the first day of the cruise."

I did both.

Edited by denmarks

The reason I am asking is that I want to know the official way. A few years ago I signed up at a table outside one of the restaurants which was supposed to be for reservations. A few hours later I called the dine line to verify it and they had not received the request and took my name and cabin. There must be a single list and going to the wrong place just causes you to have a middle man. I did get selected for it and wanted to go again. The dine line seems the most logical. The matre d is going to be busy switching tables for people.

If they will even answer.......

As stated the dine line can ring and ring and ring on embarkation day.

I will not attempt to call on embarkation day anymore.

You don't have to see the actual MD, you can see one of the Head Waiters as well (in the DR/HC).

Edited by Colo Cruiser

We've always gone through the Dine Line to make reservations. On embarkation day, it can be a long wait to get someone to answer. Fortunately, we are usually among the first ones on board. I've made the cut three out of four times I tried. I also call the Dine Line to arrange the Ultimate Balcony Dinner right after boarding on the cruises we want to do that. I want to be assured of getting my preferred date and time for it.

I also was successful using the DINE line. One thing that would be to the OP's benefit is the earlier you can board and either call the DINE line or speaking with someone, the better your chances of getting in. I was onboard, in my cabin, and on the phone by noon.

The DINE line is actually a button on the phone in your cabin. At least it was on my various cruises.

Edited by Treven

The cost is $95/person and you certainly can put in a request for two peoples. When I did the table most of the diners were couples, I and another gent were singles, and there were three together; a grandmother, her daughter, and her daughter who was celebrating her 21st birthday.

Hopefully I've been able to correctly embed a link to the menu we had when I did the table. Each menu will probably be different, depending on what the chef has in mind.

I guess it didn't work, but you can key in the url to my SmugMug account and check out the menu.

Edited by Treven

We just enjoyed the Chef's table on the Ocean two weeks ago. The price was $95 pp. Chef's table was all nine participants seated at an oblong table. The food was excellent - wine parings were very average. Princess ships apparently no longer have sommeliers. We made our request with the maitre'd the first evening. Dine line never picked up. You do get the Princess cookbook.

Edited by oxypete

Sounds great but I am not sure if I want to pay for dinner and have 12 other people sitting with me. :confused:
It is an experience. We generally like eating with others, so it's not a shock to us to be seated with strangers. I even went by myself one time five years ago when DH came down with a sinus infection. He's supposedly the more gregarious of the two of us, but I had a great time making new friends. We ran into them on another cruise last year.